HOPPER SNAP

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
I'm definitely going to get this Hopper Snap when it becomes available, but:

My HWS has both USB ports occupied. The top port has my OTA tuner and the lower port is for a hub that powers my EHD's. Since I have a spare port on the hub, I tried plugging in the OTA USB tuner into it. It seems the OTA tuner needs to be plugged directly into the HWS because it didn't work going through the hub.
It is a powered USB hub.

There are USB splitters available, but my understanding of them is they can transfer data from only one of their two ends. The other end only supplying power for device charging purposes.

Unless someone has a solution or suggestion, it would seem in order to use the snap, I would have to disconnect either the EHD hub or the OTA module. I'm reasonably certain I'm not the only one with this dilemma.

Ideas?

I'm definitely going to get this Hopper Snap when it becomes available, but:

My HWS has both USB ports occupied. The top port has my OTA tuner and the lower port is for a hub that powers my EHD's. Since I have a spare port on the hub, I tried plugging in the OTA USB tuner into it. It seems the OTA tuner needs to be plugged directly into the HWS because it didn't work going through the hub.
It is a powered USB hub.

There are USB splitters available, but my understanding of them is they can transfer data from only one of their two ends. The other end only supplying power for device charging purposes.

Unless someone has a solution or suggestion, it would seem in order to use the snap, I would have to disconnect either the EHD hub or the OTA module. I'm reasonably certain I'm not the only one with this dilemma.

Ideas?

I have the OTA adapter plugged into a USB hub and it works fine.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Front port for the ota tuner? Not as clear an answer as you would like. Did you try the ota in the bottom port, then as the only device on the hub? Just a wag there.
I completely forgot about that USB port. But better yet, it works. I relocated the USB hub to this front connector, then moved the OTA connector to the lower USB port freeing up the upper port for the snap whenever it arrives, and everything works just fine.
You deserve at least 4 gold stars. Thanks.

What usb hub do you have that's working? Brand and model?

What usb hub do you have that's NOT working? Brand and model?
I'm using a Sabrent powered 4 port USB hub that has individual power switches for each port. It's a few years old. It works fine with my EHD's. No model number.

Last edited:
Do we know what time on the 15th the SNAP will be available? More than once I have called in to order something and the CSR was clueless---even after a Charlie Chat announcement.

Last edited:
I wish there was a Joey SNAP, so I could upgrade the performance of my Joey 2.0s. I suspect Dish is going to want me to pay for Joey 3s, given my programming package, not that I can blame them.

I wish there was a Joey SNAP, so I could upgrade the performance of my Joey 2.0s. I suspect Dish is going to want me to pay for Joey 3s, given my programming package, not that I can blame them.

No need. The Hopper snap speeds up your Joeys too as the Hopper does all the graphics processing for the Joeys.

The Hopper Snap will speed up all your devices. :)

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yes Joey 3's have a faster CPU which will be faster then a regular Joey.

The Hopper 3 is already pushing out the menus as fast as the older Joey's can accept them.

OK. Cool. Trickplay performance is good on the Joey 2.0, but Guide, DVR, and other menu screens are a bit laggy, unacceptably so at times. Still better than a DirecTV client, but not as fast as a Tivo Mini.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts