Hopper Software Update Coming along with Pandora!

I am hearing that we will see new software start rolling out this Thursday at Midnight through 5AM for 5000 Hoppers... then based on your feedback here at SatelliteGuys they will then push it to all Hoppers and Joeys.

I have a question about the 5000 number. I wonder how many are SatGuys, and out of the members selected, will know they even have an update to provide feedback on? Most folks that have been following the Hopper/Joey will be aware, but I have seen several posts from folks that got the system, and know nothing about it. Nothing wrong with that. It's just if those folks got selected to receive the update, I don't see a lot of feedback being generated. Now if all 5000 are SatGuys members that will be a different story.

Are we talking about the same company? :rolleyes:
Hey. Credit, where credit is due.

I must say that they appear to be listening to user comments, and taking swift action. It's a pleasant change!

Now, if they can just fix that default guide issue and remove Internationals and RSN's from the nested channel feature (and add PPV to it), they'll really make quite an impression on the Dish skeptics among us, myself included.

So when the update happens that allows sharing between hoppers then could the whole 2TB on one hopper (for people who have 2 hoppers) be given to the users? That would leave 500GB for Dish, 500GB for PTAT and 3TB for user recording between the two hoppers. PTAT and the Dish PPV could reside on just one hopper and then share it with the other hopper as requested. I would assume that this could be done with a software update.

So when the update happens that allows sharing between hoppers then could the whole 2TB on one hopper (for people who have 2 hoppers) be given to the users? That would leave 500GB for Dish, 500GB for PTAT and 3TB for user recording between the two hoppers. PTAT and the Dish PPV could reside on just one hopper and then share it with the other hopper as requested. I would assume that this could be done with a software update.
i doubt the reserved portions will ever be released to us whether you have 1 or 2 hoppers. It would be too complicated of a process to set it up that way on two separate receivers.

I do wonder what will happen to the PTAT space on the second hopper, but theoretically i could see it recording other batches of channels on the same transponder. Or maybe extend the number of days for recording on the current 4 networks. (or absolutely nothing depending on whether Dish cares or not)

Expect 1TB user space per hopper for the long term.

Sparc is right. from a support ability standpoint, frankly,dish would be stupid to vary from a single partitioning scheme.

in theory,they could toggle on and off the ptat space as an extension to the volume. but doing so adds another level of complication that becomes difficult to support in the field.

I can see it now, the user has exceeded the 1 terabyte and is in the 500 gigabytes formerly used for primetime any time. now they want to turn primetime anytime back on. but you can't shrink the file system when storage is beyond 1 terabyte.
even if the user got their storage down below 1 terabyte, they wouldn't have much left.

every company that does technical support will tell you that containing cost on support is important to the overall health and profitability of the company. standardizing their and user platforms goes a long way towards streamlining their support model.

hell, standardizing my server configurations goes a long way towards me supporting my environment.
Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Cant wait to get the update...at S207 right now and have Pandora and Facebook...dont have a facebook account so dont know how that works but Pandora works great...

So the total amount of recording time on the Hopper was ??? hours and with the update it will be ??? hours now

Thanks in advance

Cant wait to get the update...at S207 right now and have Pandora and Facebook...dont have a facebook account so dont know how that works but Pandora works great...

So the total amount of recording time on the Hopper was ??? hours and with the update it will be ??? hours now

Thanks in advance

It was 250 HD hours and is now 500.

So once again we were spot on with our info. :)

BTW just got this from the DISH Press folks...

Good Afternoon,
As you can see from the press release we put out this morning, there are some updates to Hopper. In addition to Pandora, there are a couple others worth pointing out. Please check out the attached bulletin for details on:

1. The addition of a Facebook app
2. The expansion of user recording space on the hard drive. We have expanded it from 500 GB to 1 TB. So customers can now record up to 500 hours of HD content and 1,000 hours of SD content. At launch it was 250 hours of HD content and 500 hours of SD content.

Attachments

• Product Bulletin - Hopper - 2012-04-18 release - External_aj.pdf
    719.8 KB · Views: 466
Still on 207, but have the Facebook and Pandora apps. Pandora works, can't get FB linked though. I got the code from the Hopper, input into Facebook, then go back to the Hopper per instruction and click "continue" and all it does is refresh the code and tell me "Error:Sorry, you have not authenticated this device (authorization_pending)". I've done it several times, even waiting several minutes after authenticating in my FB account before coming back to the Hopper, and still no go. Has anyone had success?

PrimeTime Anytime™ (PTAT) Save Series
PTAT Save Series allows users to save any PTAT series events, beyond the default 8 days, to the DVR quickly. This feature can be accessed through DVR and PrimeTime Anytime™ folder and SELECT the series. The chosen and all future recordings of the series will be saved to the DVR.

Nice!!

blackjackmark said:
Still on 207, but have the Facebook and Pandora apps. Pandora works, can't get FB linked though. I got the code from the Hopper, input into Facebook, then go back to the Hopper per instruction and click "continue" and all it does is refresh the code and tell me "Error:Sorry, you have not authenticated this device (authorization_pending)". I've done it several times, even waiting several minutes after authenticating in my FB account before coming back to the Hopper, and still no go. Has anyone had success?

Was having this problem until I allowed all the permissions it requested.

Thanks for the Product Release Bulletin Scott. The features added for PTAT look great. I think using the red button to see what the PTAT turner is recording on the 4 channels and being able to join one them from the TV Viewing Status page will be very useful. I also like the addition of a save series link for PTAT. I have FB and pandora on both hoppers, but still on S207. Looking forward to the update.

Last edited:
PrimeTime Anytime™ (PTAT) Save Series
PTAT Save Series allows users to save any PTAT series events, beyond the default 8 days, to the DVR quickly. This feature can be accessed through DVR and PrimeTime Anytime™ folder and SELECT the series. The chosen and all future recordings of the series will be saved to the DVR.

a lot of people have been waiting for this one...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)