Hopper Sound Issue

TARad

Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
Indianapolis
Since getting Dish installed just about two months ago, my main Hopper has had an issue with sound. When changing channels, fast forwarding, rewinding, skipping, etc... there is always a 5-ish second delay between when the video comes on and when the sound starts. While this is very annoying, I simply assumed that this was normal and dealt with it.

However, a few days back my fiance noticed that the other Hopper we have doesn't have this issue. After some searching around on Google I found this thread:
https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3477

The people in this thread had the same issue that I am having. I tried all solutions listed in the thread which were resetting with the red button, unplugging the Hopper for a few minutes and changing audio settings to Dolby/PCM. Eventually it seems as though updating from S234 (which I have) to S237 solved the issue.

So, what is causing this? Is it the software update? If so, how do I update? According to the Hopper System Info there hasn't been an update since 1/3/2013. I know it is supposed to auto-update at night, I assume through Wi-Fi, which I am connected to so why haven't I received the update yet?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
The S237 update was placed on hold due to whatever reason. When software updates come out, they are sent to X amount of specific receivers in the serial number range. Then they monitor feedback from the update and proceed rolling it out to the rest of the field. So there isn't a way for you to force the update. I would sit tight and I bet the next updates are problably coming pretty soon.

Good to know lucky. Maybe it will come soon and help. Hopefully that is all this issue is.

And KAB, my other Hopper which has S234 doesn't have this issue at all. My original thought was that it was the Hopper or a hardware issue until I saw the thread of people claiming the exact same issue that tried multiple Hoppers.

Good to know lucky. Maybe it will come soon and help. Hopefully that is all this issue is.

And KAB, my other Hopper which has S234 doesn't have this issue at all. My original thought was that it was the Hopper or a hardware issue until I saw the thread of people claiming the exact same issue that tried multiple Hoppers.
Have you considered swapping the Hoppers to see what happens?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts