Hopper Swap - No Tech Install?

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
A friend of mine has a Hopper 2k with external sling and 1 Joey. The Hopper is crapping out. He called DISH and they are sending him a new box Saturday. I assume it will be a HWS. He said they told him to just swap it out and then call them to activate it.

I know DISH requires a tech to do a new install, but is this SOP for them to have the end-user perform a swap?

Does the H2K have the ability to backup settings via the OEM remote like the HWS does? If they do upgrade him to HWS, will the backup translate over to the HWS? What exactly does it backup? Is it just Favorites and timers, or does it include all settings like network settings, etc.?

How complicated is the swap since it involves a pre-existing Joey?

I swapped mine, really simple it's automatic, just follow the instructions. Timers, favorites, preferences are all backed up & you just restore from remote. I disconnected the joey until the install was completed then reconnected. Had no issues.

He will most likely 99% sure to get a hopper just like he has and it may likely also be a refurbished model. Unless it was requested for a HWS they won't send them out unless something odd has changed. Even normal customers upgrading to them have to pay a fee if they don't qualify under certain conditions to go from a regular hopper to a HWS which I think has been around $50.

After he swaps, he can restore all his settings and timers from the remote using the system wizard in the diagnostics setup screen.

He will definitely get a 2K unless he renews his contract. I tried this last week as a loyal $150+/mo customer and they told me to pound sand.

One thing to tell him. When activating you will name the box, then pair it with a remote, and then it will download the latest firmware, S425. During this step it will do a switch check, antenna check and then download the software. When done it will go into another switch, antenna and download sequence. Do NOT stop this or panic. It will take a few minutes and it will appear that the box is frozen but it will finish on it's own. I've had 3 replacement Hoppers in the last 2 weeks (Don't ask). I think the second replacement was good but when the screen froze during the second loop I called Dish and pulled the plug on their instruction. It did finish but never worked right.

Good luck. One replacement had a broken control door and big scratches on the front panel. Tell him to be proactive. They send additional replacements by next day air.

One replacement had a broken control door and big scratches on the front panel. Tell him to be proactive. They send additional replacements by next day air.
I haven't had to swap out a Hopper (yet) but have swapped 522, 625, 622 and 722k receivers and I was impressed with the external condition, to the point that I believed that they swap the old cases with new ones.

I know DISH requires a tech to do a new install, but is this SOP for them to have the end-user perform a swap?
I've had Dish since around 2005 and they have never sent a tech to do a swap of like receivers. I think one phone rep mentioned if I needed a tech they would charge something like the standard $95 service call.

I haven't had to swap out a Hopper (yet) but have swapped 522, 625, 622 and 722k receivers and I was impressed with the external condition, to the point that I believed that they swap the old cases with new ones.

They have apparently changed their policy. Replacement 1 had the damage previously noted. Replacement 2 has minor scratches on the case top and front panel. Replacement 3 is cosmetically OK but does have a small scratch or 2 on the top panel. It's definitely not new.

Yep it's gonna be a H2000 not HWS.

As was stated above, plug it in, follow the instructions on screen, and DO NOT unplug or try to fiddle with the box until it is completely done. You could probably have a couple beers, make dinner, etc, in the time it takes, but it's normal.

...I disconnected the joey until the install was completed then reconnected. Had no issues.
Do you mean to physically disconnect the Joey, or is this in software on the old box? I'm going to help him with this. I, personally don't have a Joey, but he does. So, after swapping the box, calling to activate, waiting for check switch and software download (apparently twice), then System Wizard restore, I reconnect the Joey and all should be well?

You'll have to link the Joey to the new hopper in the whole home menu.

Menu, settings, network set up, whole home. Then select the new hopper, and click select, then save.

In all honesty, I've replaced a bunch of hoppers, and never unplugged any joeys. Never had an issue relinking. It won't hurt to unplug them, but I don't think it's a must.

Before disconnecting the old box we backed up to the remote. After activating the new box, downloading the software, and linking the Joey, we tried to back up from the remote, but it said there was no backup found. Not a big deal since he didn't have much in the way of settings or favorites to restore.

However, we've been sitting here with the following message for 30 minutes: "Your program guide and DVR are being updated. Please wait to create timers are accessed DVR events." It seems stuck at 95%. We're waiting on that before connecting his Sling Adapter & external hard drive. Is it typical to take this long?

Sent from my Samsung GS3

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392763725603.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392763725603.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 220

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)