Hopper system

xterra

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
iceland
Sorry if this has been gone over a thousand times but..I'm getting the 1 hopper and 1 joey installed Saturday. I heard the HWS is better unit. Is this true? Should I get one with sling or is original fine? I have a vip922 with sling and it's pretty cool. Just don't want to be getting something their trying to get rid of. Maybe the HWS is more money. Any info would help :)

I'd go sling. I just added a second, so I have one HWS and one older model.

• You get sling
  • HWS is faster

The HWS is the latest and greatest, but I dont think either Hopper is going anywhere.

Guess I'll have to check with DIRT see what they have to say. But the older ones aren't to bad either?

HwS also has Hopper Transfers (currently only on iPad) which the original does not. I love that functionality.

If you don't sling, and don't have or plan to have an iPad, get the original.

If you don't sling, and don't have or plan to have an iPad, get the original.

Only thing Id say here, is if it's the same price, get the new one simply for the speed.

Now if one was $99 and one was $199, and you arent using sling, then it'd have to be a game time decision. I paid $199 for mine, and it was money well spent for the speed and sling.

Checked with them last night, free for the original hopper, $100 bucks for the hopper with sling. Sling is cool, but I found out that I didn't use it as much as I thought. Besides the wife is sick of me spending $ on electronics, not gonna push it :)

Besides for $39 you can add a USB Sling Adapter to the Original Hopper and have the Sling functionality. (Just not the Hopper Transfer feature.)

HWS also has more memory, in addition to the CPU and chipset improvements. That might support more future features than the old Hopper. I'd go HWS just for the future proofing.