Hopper temperatures

EVerburg

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
South Carolina
I've noticed the bottom right corners of my Hoppers getting very hot. What I haven't noticed is the sound of any fans kicking on. Do these have internal fans? One of my Hoppers is in a cabinet-style TV stand where the glass doors close and it is getting much hotter than the other Hopper which is on a TV cart with no back or front blocking airflow. The Joey tied to the Hopper in the cabinet just froze while watching TV. The Joey was turned off then back on, but after about 5 minutes it wouldn't connect to its Hopper. I opened the cabinet door to the Hopper and moments later the Joey connected. Perhaps the opening of the cabinet and the Joey connecting was just a coincidence. Any others experiencing hot temps on Hoppers or freezing Joeys? P.S. A 722k was in the same cabinet stand for years with no problems.

I had my router sitting on top of my Joey and it shut itself off on its own. A screen popped up saying it was 172 degrees. Yikes.

A 722k was in the same cabinet stand for years with no problems.
This makes me nervous about my upcoming install. My 622 and 211 are each being replaced with Hoppers, both which will be enclosed in glass door audio cabinets. The only problem I have ever had with the 622 overheating is on hot, humid days when I'm not running the AC in the house, but as long as I keep the house at a reasonable temperature everything is fine. I hope the Hopper will be ok, because opening cabinet doors every time I watch TV really isn't an option.

One of my two Hoppers in a closed EC, but it has three exhaust fans that I installed when I bought it. The other Hopper and the two Joeys in open air. I have noticed the Joeys being very warm even when in standby.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Anyone seeing problems with Joeys alone in EC getting too hot?

When the installer was getting ready to leave, I saw that one of the Joeys had a message on the tv that said it exceeded the recommended temperature. Luckily the installer was still here. He went to his truck and got another joey to install. Everything is fine since then. All my equipment is out in the open, no cabinets.

I use a middle Atlantic rack in my closet and I'm finding that the hopper on a traditional rack shelf is much warmer than the hopper on an open shelf (a rack-5 if you know the gear).

I'm reorganizing over the weekend and I will get the other hopper on a shelf 5 then.

Cheers,

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I purchased fans that glues to the end of my VIP622 5 years ago. I moved them to the VIP722K and when the foam tape didn't hold, I used masking tape.

I move the same fans to the Hopper. The fans are taller but I fgured that won't hurt. I used masking tape again.

The third photo in Hopper Install.

Also we learned very early on the closed cabinet wasn't going to work. We took the plastic imitation stained glass out of the door and added a screen mesh. It still looked okay and the air flow was much better.

I used 2 of that Thermaltake fan on my 722 when I had one last year to push air in and pull it out. The shelf it was on was enclosed on all sides but the front. Even with an open front my 722 would get real hot and reboot on it's own. It helped keep the temp reasonable. I bought this mini surge strip with usb ports on it and used that to power the fans.

Amazon.com: Belkin Mini Surge Protector Dual USB Charger: Electronics

One of my hoppers was in an enclosed cabinet and I was concerned about the heat since I had that problem before. The installer said it shouldn't be a problem. I went ahead and let him put it there but the more I thought about it the more I wished I hadn't. I only wanted the hopper there so I could have PIP. I decided to change things up so I switched that hopper with a joey that was upstairs in a study. The TV is on the wall above a fireplace so I used command strips to mount the joey to the back of the TV. I really like how it works and looks now. I used the HDMI cable I had in teh wall to put my blueray player in the cabinet since it isn't on all the time.