Hopper Timer Cancelled by Wife's Windows7 Laptop??

md_paul

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Maryland
Really odd event happened tonight. We were watching a recorded show on the Hopper while my wife was also browsing he internet with her Windows7 WiFi connected laptop. At 11PM, her laptop lost WiFi connectivity. I checked our other laptop's WiFi connection and it was working fine. About 2 minutes later, her WiFi reconnected and all seemed fine.

We have a timer that fires at 11PM nightly to record the local newscast on our Hopper. At 11:40, I tried to watch the recording and found it didn't record. When I checked the timers, it reported that tonight's 11PM Eyewitness 11PM News timer was "Cancelled: by user PMB-HP-LAPTOP:M...." !!!

"PMB-HP-LAPTOP" is the computer name for her laptop. I suspect the letter M followed by ... references her Laptop login name of "Mary Beth". I only have one Hopper (named "Great Room") and one Joey (named "Downstairs") in my setup. Both Hopper and Joey are connected to my home network and the internet through wired cat5 cables connected to the same switch as the wifi network.

Anyone had anything like this happen to them? Any ideas how this could have happened??

photo (3).JPG

-Paul

The obvious answer is that your wife deleted the timer. Any chance she was browsing Dish Online? Anyone else in the house who might have done this?

I can't imagine this happened by accident.

It appears to have been some kind of a freakish accident. I checked at the time and she was on Facebook and Email. She (and her computer) have never been to Dish Online and she doesn't know how to use the site. I have been to Dish Online on my other laptop, but not last night. I was in the kitchen getting a glass of water when she called me about losing her WiFi connection. Other than the dogs, there was no one else in the home. I dunno.... at this point I'm amused and curious. If it happens again, I'll be concerned about a problem or bug.

I haven't remotely cancelled a timer with Dish Online since we've had the Hopper / Joey setup. I think I'll set one up and cancel it from Dish Online when I'm home this evening to see what "source" is shown for the Timer Cancellation.

I've seen the same thing with my 1H/1J. My daughter cancelled a news timer from the Hopper (she didn't realize she could "red button" and grab a different tuner). The Joey reported that the timer was cancelled by my laptop.

My guess is that the event is associated with an ID, perhaps a MAC or IP address, which is then translated by the Hopper/Joey using a table of discovered devices. In this case, it was wrong.

The short of it is, the event was not accidentally cancelled by the Laptop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)