Hopper to Hopper transfer

PHXHoward

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
PHX
Yesterday I did a Hopper to Hopper recording transfer from Hopper with Sling (new UI) over to a Hopper 3. Had to restart both Hoppers to get them to see each other across Ethernet but then they detected and the transfer began.

It detected 125 recordings on the HWS and brought them over one by one. It took about 9 hours to do the transfer. At the end it said it completed successfully after transferring 114/125 recordings. 11 recordings were lost and did not appear on either Hopper.

I am happy to have the majority of my recordings transferred. Sorry to lose some old episodes of How the Universe Works and Through the Wormhole but over all the process worked well. Without an external hard drive connected I would have lost all the recordings.

That's great news. This coming Wednesday I am receiving the Hopper 3 and because the new UI killed the EHD access on my original Hopper I was hoping that the Ethernet transfer will work.

It, Hopper 3 to Hopper 3, transfer does work. My original H3, about 3 months since it was installed, went into endless restarts, dish sent out a replacement H3. I have no external hard drives, with saved and/or yet un-watched and then delete programming taking up about 25% of the HD. After trying for a few hours to transfer the old H3 files, as a group and/or individually, to the new H3 via the DVR menu and an ethernet cable and not getting it to work, I called DISH support and was helped get it, all 155 files, transferred. Learned something that day, it is not done from the DVR menu/screens, but via the settings/diagnostics, a couple buttons pushes before I went to bed and by the time I got home from work the next day, it was done. Thank you shout out to the DISH CS for his patience and help, found out I was only the second one he had helped do a H3 to H3 transfer, and he learned a couple finer points of how to do this by what we experienced.

So it is possible to transfer recordings from Hopper to Hopper using the ethenet cable. I had the Dish guys on the phone for about an hour and we could not get it to transfer. We could get to the screen that says I have 2 minutes to plug the ethenet cable plugged in and the sequenced flashing squares but that's as far as it would go. I tried to use an external hard drive but I couldn't get it to work either. I might have had the wrong type of hard drive but I did buy a 2.0-3.0 2TB hard drive but no success. I have to send the old Hopper back in a few days so I'm open to any help soon. Thanks guys

We had to update the software on the old Hopper to U224 to match the new Hopper. The old hopper kept turning off and rebooting.

I had both Hoppers plugged into the top Ethernet ports. Had to restart the Hoppers before they would detect each other and begin the transfer.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Used this to transfer recordings from an HWS (on new UI) to a new H3 when my brother upgraded shortly after Christmas, and it worked well.

This is good news. When my family is out tomorrow, I will try to reset both Hoppers then try the transfer. Gee, the experts on the phone didn't tell me to reset anything.

Hey DWS44, where is a good place around here to buy a hard drive? Best Buy doesn't have a 2.0 2TB single disc hard drive with a power chord.

Not sure you'll find one locally anymore. Closeout @ BestBuy would probably have been your best shot. Finding 2TB is getting difficult nowadays. You might have to hit Amazon or someone else online, or take your chances with a 3TB drive locally. Some report getting 3TB drives to work, but that's a bit of a crap shoot and unsupported by Dish.

Well, last night I tried again to transfer recordings from my old Hopper to the replacement Hopper. I did get a little farther in the process, but still no transfer. I got to the screen that says it will take 2 days to transfer and I have 0/297 which means out of 297 items to transfer, none have been transferred. It said to wait or select watch TV and it will notify me when it is complete. This morning, still nothing was transferred. I guess it's time to try the phone call to Dish again. :phone

Well, after talking with Dish, the conclusion is that the old Hopper is the problem. It had to be replaced because of it reseting on it's own. During the transfer the old Hopper would stop and reset which stopped the transfer. So, I will loose my recordings. But they did give me 3 months of Hbo, Cin, and a few other premium channels. Now if I can just find an external hard drive to back up the replacement Hopper maybe this won't be a problem when it happens again.

Last edited:
How long does the old one usually run between resets? Something consistent, or just totally random? If it runs for at least a few hours at a time, its possible you could get some of the recordings transferred to an EHD between resets. Might be a longshot, but might be worth trying if the recordings are important to you.

I transferred successfully from a HWS (Carbon UI) to an H3 just last week. It is ...S...L...O...W...

I only had about 25 recordings and it took over 4 hours. I had to wait a day or 2 after the H3 had gone through some overnight updates for it to even recognize the option. It looked like it was stuck at the "2 minutes to connect cable" screen so I shut the TV off and went to bed. The next morning it had gotten to the "accept" screen. After I accepted I shut the TV off and left for the morning. When I got home later that day it had worked.

Even DIRT agreed that it works but is painfully slow ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)