Hopper Tuners and Primetime Anytime

Mfinchv1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
I currently have Two 722s, one 625, and one 312 (standalone hd receiver), so may not be a 312..... My Question, the Hopper has 3 tuners. How can it record six hd programs off three tuners?? How does prime time anytime, record 4 hd shows at the same time, off of three tuners?? Plus when primetime anytime is up and going, from what Ive seen...it uses one tuner. But.....A rep from dish told me, prime time anytime is acually via broadband...so it dont use a tuner...lol. Its all a bit confusing!! If I have one hopper, and three Joeys...and we all record something at the same time, looks and sounds like we are stuck on watching whatever it is we are recording. Unless u wanna watch something on demand...or something thats already recorded.

I plan on getting two hoppers and three joeys. I have five tvs, and we record a lot, but also watch live tv while things are recording. We make ends meet, with the current setup. The only thing missin, is on some dvrs (722's) we have different things record sometimes. So itll be nice to watch them shows on different tvs, instead of being stuck in the room, where its been recorded. I just dont wanna loose any tuners, compared to what I have now and all. If anything....I wanna gain a tuner, so I can record more! Any thoughts??

PTA uses 1 satellite tuner to record the spot beam of your HD locals. The hopper then breaks apart that recording into the individual shows.

The CSR you spoke with probably has not been trained yet for the hopper/Joey system.

It sounds like a two hopper setup would work for you. With PTA recording you would have 5 tuners available for live viewing or a combo of the remaining either recording or viewing live.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I think I have 7 Tuners right now though. Two 722s, one 625, and the stand alone hd one. I seen in a wiring diagram for the installers of the hoppers, two hoppers, three joeys, and a vip....guessing 722! So that would be eight tuners, and im sure an arm and a leg in the price field per month...lol, has anyone else seen that wiring diagram??

I think I have 7 Tuners right now though. Two 722s, one 625, and the stand alone hd one. I seen in a wiring diagram for the installers of the hoppers, two hoppers, three joeys, and a vip....guessing 722! So that would be eight tuners, and im sure an arm and a leg in the price field per month...lol, has anyone else seen that wiring diagram??

With 2 Hoppers and Joeys for the rest of your TVs, do you need more than 6 tuners (or 5 plus 4 shows on Network Prime Time)? You will be able to see all recordings from all TVs when Hopper communication is fully implemented (plus USB OTA tuners on the Hoppers when they become available). You can wait for full implementation before you make the jump.

$10 mo for the first Hopper TV and $7 mo each additional HD TV. You are going to pay a fee for each HD TV wherever you go. If your happy with SD on some TVs, your present system would avoid the additional fees.

$10 mo for the first Hopper TV and $7 mo each additional HD TV. You are going to pay a fee for each HD TV wherever you go. If your happy with SD on some TVs, your present system would avoid the additional fees.

He has 5 TVs. His fees would go down with Hopper.

Current:
1st 722 - included
2nd 722 - $17
625 - $17
311 - $7
DVR - $6
TOTAL: $47

Hopper:
1st Hopper - Included
2nd Hopper - $7
3 Joeys - $21
DVR/WHD - $10
TOTAL: $38

I seen in a wiring diagram for the installers of the hoppers, two hoppers, three joeys, and a vip....guessing 722! So that would be eight tuners, and im sure an arm and a leg in the price field per month...lol, has anyone else seen that wiring diagram??
I think the diagram was a "worst case scenario" and as someone already said currently it's no VIPs in a Hopper house by order of the king.

JM42 said:
He has 5 TVs. His fees would go down with Hopper.

Current:
1st 722 - included
2nd 722 - $17
625 - $17
311 - $7
DVR - $6
TOTAL: $47

Hopper:
1st Hopper - Included
2nd Hopper - $7
3 Joeys - $21
DVR/WHD - $10
TOTAL: $38

I suspect his "312" is a 612. So the savings would be even greater.

The entire stream from that transponder is recorded. Then you can pick out individual programs later. As opposed to picking a single program out from the stream and discarding the rest.

Again though....how can ptat record 4 shows at once...with one tuner??

Each DBS satellite effectively has 32 channels. These are known as transponders. A transponder transmits up to 43mbits/sec. Dish compresses HD down to around 5-6 mbit/sec, so for example 8 HD channels may actually be sharing the same transponder. When you record a channel on DBS the receiver tunes in the entire transponder and separates out the bits for just the channel you are recording, and throws away the rest. The PTAT function keeps the bits of 4 channels off the single transponder and throws away the rest.

You can view the transponder stream as a stream of packets, each packet is marked with which channel stream to which it belongs. The receiver reconstructs the stream, sort of like the internet.

Are you sure about that? IIRC it was previously reported that the entire stream was recorded.

It is possible that it could go either way. But if it refuses to show you those bits before it throws it away in the next week does it make a difference ;)

No functional difference at present, but there are implications for future features. If only a partial transponder stream is recorded, then it's likely PTA will never be expanded beyond the Big Four, regardless of availability of those other channels.

Scott, do you have a wag on why only the Big Four (if available) are there in the PTA tile? And what about markets such as Charlottesville VA that have only SD locals? I didn't double-check just now, but I think they're all on one transponder.

Scott, do you have a wag on why only the Big Four (if available) are there in the PTA tile? And what about markets such as Charlottesville VA that have only SD locals? I didn't double-check just now, but I think they're all on one transponder.

I'd bet it's because they don't want subs complaining that in their market they only get the Big 4 while other markets (with all their locals up) get all their locals archived with PTAT. I wouldn't want to have to explain. It's bad enough that many, if not most markets, don't have anything other than the Big Four uplinked for their markets.

That was my thinking as well. It's bad enough they have to tell markets that don't have HD locals yet that they can't use the feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts