Hopper Upgrades

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am interested in upgrading my place to a hopper - it looks like I would need two hoppers and 5 joeys. I currently have three 622s (? dual Rx DVR). My question is about the in home streaming. I know about MOCA, but can hopper/joeys stream via gigabit ethernet? I would find it much more useful if they could - and technically there is no reason they couldn't - MOCA does limit some latency nicely but a properly designed switched Gige network will work too. I understand most people don't have gige to all their TVs. My trouble is that I don't have coax to all and have two overlapping coax networks that are really a muddle to sort out. One is for the sat signal distribution and the other was a in home legacy. The place is spread over three separate bulidings connected by fiber so streaming via gige is really the best option. Plus, I don't remember what the max span for MOCA 1.1 is... I'm afraid the runs out to the studio and the pool house (the two other buildings) will be too far. From what I've read, it appears MOCA and therefore a direct coax connection is required to stream. Tell me it ain't so!

Well after talking with 3 Dirt members and 2 people at Dish Network's executive office, it is official. Dish Network doesn't give a damn about its long term customers! I've been with them for 13 years and they refuse to give me 2 Hoppers. They want me to take 2 922s instead! So long Dish, DirecTV here I come for good!
i didn't think 922s were being offered anymore.

Has there been any rumblings that self-installed upgrades will be available down the road? I borrowed a Hopper and 2 Joeys from a friend that had recently upgraded and verified that everything works with my cabling configuration, and I would love to be able to do the upgrade myself.

Well after talking with 3 Dirt members and 2 people at Dish Network's executive office, it is official. Dish Network doesn't give a damn about its long term customers! I've been with them for 13 years and they refuse to give me 2 Hoppers. They want me to take 2 922s instead! So long Dish, DirecTV here I come for good!

How interesting, since the ViP922 is being phased out and is no longer offered except as replacements (although some dealers will gladly sell you their stock). More incorrect information. And flat refuse? Not even at full price? Hmmmm.

Also interesting that you posted this on the 15th, when on the 11th and 12th you posted you had already decided to move to DirecTV.

i didn't think 922s were being offered anymore.

They aren't.

You are correct. 922s are still not available to lease (can be purchased though)

From the horse's mouth.

There's a certain consistency in the posts made by Y2J.

Someone discovered Joeys will connect via ethernet at least for now, at least partially. But not supported!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/281769-joey-works-without-coax-cable.html

Hopper/Joey have 100 Mb ethernet interfaces not gige.

Hopper/Joey cable length limits:

Maximum 200-foot cable length from LNBF to farthest Hopper (must be 3 GHz sweep tested RG-6)
Maximum 200-foot cable length between any Hopper and Joey (can normally be RG-59 but there are exceptions)

I was contacted by a DIRT member but was told I had to pay the upgrade fee of $400 + insall fees + monthly lease fee for only 1 hopper and 2 joeys. Ridiculous!
I will call DISH directly and ask to talk to their upper accts supervisor to express my disappointment on how DISH treats thier existing customers.

I contacted DISH directly and they decided to give me a good discount. My hopper and joeys have been installed. They look awesome! I guess I am stuck with DISH.

jac

2 hopper 2 joeys
being familiar with channel conflict from having 2 tuner 722 dvr on 2 tvs, i went with 2 hoppers and 2 joeys.
after 3 days of installation and having 2 hoppers and 1 joey replaced, all cables and satellite had to be replaced, hopper requires 3 sat inputs, i have been very pleased with the results, 4 hd tv's can now watch hd, previously only one had hd. i might add that once a joey is paired it cannot be moved to a different hopper. This required a 4th visit because 2 joeys where paired with one hopper, due to a defective hopper, i would have rather that they waited to pair the joey with the correct hopper which was installed the next day. i was told that i was one of 100 that had the hopper, so as i found out, this was new to each installer that came out. i could even show them some things that they weren't familiar with. to sum it up after two weeks of hopper use, i have been pleased with expense and quality of video delivery. will be interesting to see what the coming software update includes

2 hopper 2 joeys
being familiar with channel conflict from having 2 tuner 722 dvr on 2 tvs, i went with 2 hoppers and 2 joeys.
after 3 days of installation and having 2 hoppers and 1 joey replaced, all cables and satellite had to be replaced, hopper requires 3 sat inputs, i have been very pleased with the results, 4 hd tv's can now watch hd, previously only one had hd. i might add that once a joey is paired it cannot be moved to a different hopper. This required a 4th visit because 2 joeys where paired with one hopper, due to a defective hopper, i would have rather that they waited to pair the joey with the correct hopper which was installed the next day. i was told that i was one of 100 that had the hopper, so as i found out, this was new to each installer that came out. i could even show them some things that they weren't familiar with. to sum it up after two weeks of hopper use, i have been pleased with expense and quality of video delivery. will be interesting to see what the coming software update includes

:welcometo the forum! Just wanted to also make a small correction, the Joeys can see either Hopper. I don't have the system yet but I've read it way too many times on this forum to think otherwise. I'm sure someone will chime in with how to do that. I know it is just a few button presses on the remote, though. Hope you enjoy your new system!

With the death of my 922, which I actually liked by the way, I'm thinking of switching things up. I'll be out of my initial 2 yr contract next month and I was thinking of doing a setup involving 2 Hoppers & 2 Joeys. Any idea what this equipment configuration would cost me in terms of monthly fees? I know that the first Hopper would be included and each Joey is $7 a month but what about the second Hopper? I'm also wondering what this upgrade would cost me so if any DIRT members can get back to me, that would be great. Thanks in adance.

That's just what I'm doing this Friday.

Something if fishy, here. It's either not true or there is a "reason" we are not being told.

1. New poster
2. Multiple posts with incorrect information
3. Rarely responds to corrective posts

simple addition

With the death of my 922, which I actually liked by the way, I'm thinking of switching things up. I'll be out of my initial 2 yr contract next month and I was thinking of doing a setup involving 2 Hoppers & 2 Joeys. Any idea what this equipment configuration would cost me in terms of monthly fees? I know that the first Hopper would be included and each Joey is $7 a month but what about the second Hopper? I'm also wondering what this upgrade would cost me so if any DIRT members can get back to me, that would be great. Thanks in adance.

Second Hopper will be $7/month also. Now- it will be an additional $99 up front, or for some, apparently, $199. I think, despite some posts, the former price is more likely.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts