Hopper (Usb Sling), joey networking bogs down every few days, requiring reboot to fix, need replace

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KaptainRandom

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
mesa az
I have 1 Hopper(usb sling, 2 yrs in use), 1 HWS (2 mths in use) and 2 joeys (each 2 yrs in use).
We have nearly all the dvr timers on the original Hopper(usb sling).
The joeys are paired to the HWS, as the tuners are not tied up by timers.

After a reboot of the original hopper, everything pairs/networks fine.
After a few days, When switching dvrs to watch recorded programs on the original Hopper,
The recorded program, without prompting, will stop playing and return to tuner.
Also, the joeys will find the alternate dvr but show no recordings.
Also, when watching a dvr program, the joey will just show a black screen, sometimes when starting program, sometimes mid-program.
Also, trying to pair the joey directly to the original hopper, settings show paired, but joey screen is black.

All of these symptoms are temporarily resolved by way of rebooting the original hopper, only to return a few days later.
Is it time to replace the original hopper?

Originally, there were 3 joeys paired to the single original hopper, without these problems.
1 joey was exchanged for a HWS, and the 2 remaining joeys paired to the new HWS,
All equipment connections/locations are otherwise the same,
Moca shows green in setting/network.
Original hopper connect to LAN router, HWS via wifi, cannot just swap due to proximaty to router.

I was wondering if the HWS connected by wifi is causing a problem with MOCA and communicating with the Joeys? I would enable bridging and see if your problems go away first. If not swap the Hoppers next.

I would remove one of the internet connections. Personally I would disconnect my Hws from the network and bridge the hopper since it's connected to the router and should be a more reliable connection than wifi.

1st update,
On joey pressed 'dvr',
Switched gray box to other hopper,
Started a dvr program,
2min in, dvr program stopped, joey went to live program.
Restarted dvr program, played without incident.

Had another dvr program stoppage on the hopper,
Seperately, hopefully unrelated, monday evening both the hopper and HWS lost individual tuners and (checking setting) individual satelites. Happened on the HWS last night... Reboot resolved.