Hopper vs HWS question

makman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I have 2 722's each with a sling adapter. I am looking at replacing each with a hopper. I can't see needing or wanting the iPad transfer or even droid transfer (I'm not an Apple guy) if they ever release that.

Since I can use my slings with the original hopper, I guess the only issue for me is processor speed. Is the Hopper vs HWS processor speed an issue in real life use?

Thanks,

Mitch

I had the original Hopper and now the HwS and there is a significant speed difference between the two. In my opinion, it is very noticeable and improves every function of the DVR. Whether or not it's worth the extra expense is debatable and depends on what Dish decides to charge you.

I have the original Hopper and have no desire to upgrade yet. Like you I already have the adapters and the transfer app doesn't mean anything to me.

However, if I were ordering today though, I'd probably go with HWS, just to future proof things a little more. It is entirely possible we'll see something new in the next year or so that will either be better on or exclusive to HWS.

I honestly haven't really noticed but I haven't been looking for differences. It did seem like it took the initial download faster when I activated it. I do love the transfer feature, it's the main reason I got it. I suppose going through menus is a little faster but nothing too crazy in my opinion.

Hmmm...The slowness of the original Hopper has really been grating on me lately. (I know...maybe its just my perception. Some folks talk about it being "fast", but mine seems as slow or slower than my old 622/722k)

I don't really have much use for the Transfer features unless Android support comes along, but if the new guy is really that much faster, I may consider one anyways. Now that you all with both have had them for a little while, can you tell much difference in the speed of changing channels when channel surfing, or are the speed improvements only in navigating menus, DVR list, etc.?

Which SW version do you have? S234 really slowed things down for me. Hopefully S237 will fix it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts