hopper w/sling data usage.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tpinck

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
I have been getting very high data usage on my hopper even when we are not using it. Have had a chat and phone call with support and have been told that the only time data is used is during Netflix and on-demand. We have not been using either in the last few weeks.

I have been tracking data usage using a Pepwave MAX where I can see what IP address are using how much data. The IP for the Hopper_2 has used the following amount of data: 12/5 1.71GB, 12/6 2.16GB, 12/7 2,93GB, 12/8 3.12GB, 12/9 3.13GB, 12/14 1.7GB, 12/17 1.63GB, 12/18 2.34GB, 12/25 3,11GB, 12/27 2.98GB, 12/31 1.53GB and 1/1 1.15GB. These are totals for the day with 95% being used by the Hopper. This kills my monthly 15GB of 4G data plan.

Because I cannot turnoff the network connect on the hopper and have connected it to a wireless network that I do not have password for effectively shutting it down.

Has anyone had this kind of data issues and if so did you discover the cause?

Because I cannot turnoff the network connect on the hopper and have connected it to a wireless network that I do not have password for effectively shutting it down.

Are you saying you're having difficulty disconnecting the Hopper from the network completely? The workaround for that is to try and connect the wifi to a different network SSID, then deliberately enter the wrong password. In this way, it will stay in a disconnected state.

Yes I connect to an unauthorized wireless network (WIFI) is the only way to disconnect the Hopper from a wireless connection. There is no disable WIFI function.

There is nothing in"My Rentals"

Change your DISH password. I would guess that someone is watching from remote using your Sling connection.

I had this happen to me a few months ago as my son gave his friend who canceled cable our Dish username and password. I changed the password and didn't give it to my son. Now usage is almost ner nil from the Hopper.

If someone is using the sling function of your hopper, you’d see the activity under TV Activity as “Remote Viewer”. I’d also check there periodically to see if someone is remotely using a tuner. I know you can check tv activity with a hopper 3.. I would assume that it will be the same with the hopper w/ sling.

I changed my "My Dish" password.
I can not find anything about "TV activity"

thanks to all for your replies, I have changed my password and connected to a campground wifi so can not monitor it now. The good news is that it is 7 days into my data month and have used less than 5GB. This was just very strange to me.

Reactions: comfortably_numb