Hopper with 2 joeys - Problems with Joeys after upgrade

senchin441

Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
East Coast
So my hopper upgraded last night and then this morning I started having problems with my 2 Joeys. Both Joeys are linked, both receive guide, both can browse DVR content etc. However, when trying to play something or tune into a channel, all I get is blank screen. The channel information is displayed but nothing comes through. When I go to change the channel I get "Attention - 314 Your request can only be carried out in live mode. Switch to live mode now? Yes / No". Neither selecting yes or no changes anything. On the hopper, the record light is not on and I can browse and watch all channels and dvr content. I have tried resetting the hopper by pressing the red button. No change. I have unplugged everything and powered the hopper on first, waited until it got video, then linked the first joey and retested. Same problem again. I have then gone on the hopper and done a system restore, same problem again. I am running out of ideas here. Is there anything I can do to do a full factory reset?

You could try unplugging the hopper & joeys for 30 minutes then starting over. If no joy I would contact DIRT.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys
Yes, especially the Joey...which seems to have the problem.

Still no luck. I have tried everything. I think it might be time to call DISH and ask them to do a rehit. Something definitely is wrong with this Joeys. Everytime I try to change the channel it thinks that it needs to switch to live tv. Something is definitely wrong. Thanks DISH for another amazing update that didn't work.

Still no luck. I have tried everything. I think it might be time to call DISH and ask them to do a rehit. Something definitely is wrong with this Joeys. Everytime I try to change the channel it thinks that it needs to switch to live tv. Something is definitely wrong. Thanks DISH for another amazing update that didn't work.
Well, you seem to be the only problem reported, so it remains to be seen.

Problem with Joeys after upgrade

You are not the only one. I have exactly the same problem. Can anyone help? Any ideas?

Sorry, but a "rehit" won't help, that only helps with authorization issues, which will show as a 005, 013, or 371 error code.

I can't say for sure what is happening there. I know the other folks that report a black screen, but the ability to see the banner, the guide, and the menu, that is known in Dish terminology as a "black screen with banner". The troubleshooting for that involves a hard reset (at the hopper), then checking to see if that fixed it. If not, next is checking the system information page to see if green comes up under all the satellites listed. If all are green, the next test is to run a check switch test. If that passes, and if the problem persists, the receiver (Hopper) will be replaced.

If you go to settings->network setup->tests->view counters toward the bottom you can read the phy tx and rx rates and the rx power. My 4 boxes are all around 293Mbps and -16dbm.

Also I had a DHCP problem after the S418 update. My Hoppers would only see each other for a minute after a reset and the Hopper that wasn't linked to a Joey couldn't see it. I tried all kinds of resets of the boxes and nothing worked. It finally fixed itself when I unplugged the router and waited until all boxes lost their DHCP assigned addresses and reverted back to local ones. When I restarted the router everything worked fine after DHCP reassignment. You might try that.

I ran into.this issue on a trouble call today..... I.unplugged and plugged in the Joey a couple times. Then left it alone. It took sometime but it finally brought up the "your reciever is programming......." screen. Waited till it started up and walla, work with no problems.

I fixed this problem

I had the same problem you have. Move your antenna to 119W. Do a check switch. Save. Go to system info. Save or exit. Leave the Hopper on standby for a couple of hours. It will download the new Joey software. S357 and S450.
Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)