Hopper with Sling S514 Update

I don't understand how anxious some people get over these updates.

I also don't complain. But I understand. If you have two HWS and some Joeys and a house full of people and the update would make your life easier. Integration. Then waiting weeks for something you know is there is a pain. If it's just you and your dog and all your need is already there. Than who gives a Shi#. JMO Peace

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I also don't complain. But I understand. If you have two HWS and some Joeys and a house full of people and the update would make your life easier. Integration. Then waiting weeks for something you know is there is a pain. If it's just you and your dog and all your need is already there. Than who gives a Shi#. JMO Peace
But that's the issue, it's not there... they have firmware being tested. obviously bugs have been found going from S512 to S514 and now the rumored S515 or S516. I want the latest firmware as bad as the next person but personally I prefer to wait for the official release where it has had more time to be beta tested and debugged.

I can't speak for dish but my company makes industrial ultrasonic instruments with pretty complex firmware and having a couple of beta releases is not uncommon. We were only able to in - house test to certain point normally under idea conditions at which point field testing (usually customers) were used to expose other bug and real conditions.

So....I have S514. Nothing appears to me to be wrong, but how would I know something is wrong without knowing something is different? And actually I would make a poor choice for beta testing because I just upgraded to HWS last month and don't know what issues there were and where to look to see if there are any problems.
Seems to me to be a strange way to release an update and check for problems. Especially without release notes.

I think reported errors is the "customer beta testing". The more customers that call in to report errors with SW releases, and those reports that get filed, pretty much tells them what to work on. That's without the release notes.

I can't speak for dish but my company makes industrial ultrasonic instruments with pretty complex firmware and having a couple of beta releases is not uncommon.
Having multiple releases is completely normal. I used to be involved in (public) beta testing 3D-modeling design software. They did multiple alpha releases that were only seen internally and then did beta1, beta2, beta3, and release-candidate releases routinely before the final release was ready. Microsoft is beta-testing Windows 10 right now. There will be many, many builds before it is released.

Scott has said before that a high percentage of bug reports end up as not able to reproduce at the software developer level. All we can do as end users is be as accurate as possible when describing the problem so it has a good chance to be recreated when the programmer checks it out.

I still have S506 as well. Here's an idea for Charlie, an extra fee to get the software early or to stay ahead one version ahead of everybody else.

I still have S506 as well. Here's an idea for Charlie, an extra fee to get the software early or to stay ahead one version ahead of everybody else.
Don't be surprised if you see that fee on your bill soon. DISH loves creating new fees, that they can charge what they want, because they can.:laser

They might make more money on a fee to stay one version BEHIND, or to at least delay any update, after the 506 scenario.