Hopper with Sling S514 Update

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I hit up DIRT to find out what's going on and supposedly 515 is coming by next week and it should be the major release for everyone who didn't get upgraded, like me :( Wish I could get 514 pushed while i'm away!
Thank GOD. I thought that was why I didn't get upgraded to L512 or L514 by now. Something better is coming L515.

Reactions: foghorn2
Hey, maybe everyone should already have this so-called S515 update !! We don't know when that DIRT person told "Rukes" ! Maybe they told him/her last week !

Reactions: ChadT41
So do I but that is the latest released firmware. ....Does everyone call up there cell phone carrier and ask why they haven't received the latest untested and unreleased test firmware.

In the past, with my 722k, I never worried, or really wondered, about updates. I still don't worry, but I do wonder about how Dish handles updates. Are there really so many recipients that the can't do them all in a week? And it seems strange to me they don't publish release notes detailing what each update is supposed to do.

Reactions: charlesrshell
In the past, with my 722k, I never worried, or really wondered, about updates. I still don't worry, but I do wonder about how Dish handles updates. Are there really so many recipients that the can't do them all in a week? And it seems strange to me they don't publish release notes detailing what each update is supposed to do.
I'm sure they can push the firmware to more then choose. .I'm sure the real issue is pushing it to the masses to only find there is a serious problem and have there call centers light up like Christmas trees. This is why they do the beta testing is small groups till there comfortable the release will be stable with no crippling issues.

Are there really so many recipients that the can't do them all in a week?
Their receivers, especially the Hopper, are complex pieces of equipment. They no doubt do internal s/w testing and it doesn't uncover things people find in the real world. Just look at the last test versions. They pushed S512 to a small group and they no doubt found issues because S514 followed it after a week or two. There's word that another version is coming, which means there were other issues in S514.
And it seems strange to me they don't publish release notes detailing what each update is supposed to do.
Not strange at all. The receivers are "closed" systems and users don't have the choice of accepting updates anyway. If someone is aware of a problem and see it is fixed through using the receiver, what value was indicating it in release notes ? At the same time, they can't list everything anyway and too many people will read the notes and bitch that "they still didn't fix this!" when in fact, maybe they did.

Their receivers, especially the Hopper, are complex pieces of equipment. They no doubt do internal s/w testing and it doesn't uncover things people find in the real world. Just look at the last test versions. They pushed S512 to a small group and they no doubt found issues because S514 followed it after a week or two. There's word that another version is coming, which means there were other issues in S514.
Not strange at all. The receivers are "closed" systems and users don't have the choice of accepting updates anyway. If someone is aware of a problem and see it is fixed through using the receiver, what value was indicating it in release notes ? At the same time, they can't list everything anyway and too many people will read the notes and bitch that "they still didn't fix this!" when in fact, maybe they did.

Yada yada yada Hall, the same defensive posts over and over again.

Yet S506 from 7/9/2014 was released with lots of bugs that broke things when previous firmwares were just fine.

If we follow your Godly posts, that should not have happened.

BTW, I did not know Hoppers were complex pieces of equipment. Got me there. Thanks for pointing that out.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Microsoft and Apple are pretty much closed systems too. And both have shown the world they can mess up an update or two. There is the difference between them of forcing through updates. Computers are pretty complex pieces of equipment and they still manage to write updates, test them as much as they can, release them and their notes, and then fix them as needed. Now, I do realize Dish is not a software company to a large degree, but what's the difference between breaking functions in a TV box and a persons phone/tablet/computer? They all generate complaints and calls, and need to get fixed.
And if you cared enough to bitch about something not being fixed then you could check release notes to see if at least the attempt was made....or not.
But really, it's a small percentage of customers who would care....

Reactions: foghorn2
Yet S506 from 7/9/2014 was released with lots of bugs that broke things when previous firmwares were just fine.

If we follow your Godly posts, that should not have happened.
Defensive post ? Hardly.... I'm just pointing out the process - I didn't say it was perfect. I have said plenty of times that Dish should do a major update that fixes bugs, problems, etc and hold off on any release with new "features".

I don't understand how irritated some people get over these updates

I'm not irritated if that's what you're getting at. I can see a little excitement to see what the new updates are but I guess I just find it funny. It's like kids waiting for Christmas morning only to find out it's not coming until next week.

I know everyone keeps blaming Dish for these updates but is it really Dish who's in charge of them or is it Echostar? I know they are a part of Dish but they are run separately.

If not mistaken echostar writes the software, beta's it(I would assume), and then dish has a team that does the same. It's a two part system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)