Hopper with Sling Software Version S502 is Out

So now it still does the nightly reboot at 1:30 but there is no pop-up? You can no longer tell it not to update and it reboots even if you are watching something at the time? If true, that is worse behavior then it was before the firmware 'upgrade'!!!
It's not the worst. While it's still not ideal, I prefer this over how it was handled before. What they should have done is still have the pop-up message but have it appear only when there isn't any recording. Every weekday I'd be watching/recording shows until about 4 a.m. and it would continually disrupt my viewing asking for an update (or go into standby mode if I wasn't attentive enough). I knew that it wouldn't update until recording was finished anyway so it was pointless to have it ask to update all the time. Anyway, I haven't had the update take place at 1:30 a.m. during any of this week since I got S502 on the 16th. The nightly update happens for me around 4:30 a.m. but that is likely because I'm recording for 3 hours straight almost all the time up until 4 a.m. I noticed it allows me to watch something from the time of my last recording for a half-hour before it decides to go into update mode. (Ex: I just finished recording Clubland and then Full Throttle Saloon. It's now 4 a.m. and I watched Southern Fried Stings until 4:30 before it started to update. If I had began to record it, it would have waited another half hour to update so then it would have taken place at 5:30)

Last edited:
It's not the worst. While it's still not ideal, I prefer this over how it was handled before. What they should have done is still have the pop-up message but have it appear only when there isn't any recording. Every weekday I'd be watching/recording shows until about 4 a.m. and it would continually disrupt my viewing asking for an update (or go into standby mode if I wasn't attentive enough). I knew that it wouldn't update until recording was finished anyway so it was pointless to have it ask to update all the time. Anyway, I haven't had the update take place at 1:30 a.m. during any of this week since I got S502 on the 16th. The nightly update happens for me around 4:30 a.m. but that is likely because I'm recording for 3 hours straight almost all the time up until 4 a.m. I noticed it allows me to watch something from the time of my last recording for a half-hour before it decides to go into update mode. (Ex: I just finished recording Clubland and then Full Throttle Saloon. It's now 4 a.m. and I watched Southern Fried Stings until 4:30 before it started to update. If I had began to record it, it would have waited another half hour to update so then it would have taken place at 5:30)

So after you finished watching Southern Fried Stings at 04:30, did you notice if the update started immediately?

I have discovered a pleasant surprise since S502 update. If you are watching a recording that is still recording, you can now stop watching the recording and resume it later on after the program has finished recording. Previously, the resume didn't work, you had to start over from the beginning. I have tried this twice now and couldn't believe my eyes. This has been my #1 wish for Dish DVRs since I signed up back in 2007. Has anyone else noticed this too?

No Fix for EHD

Last night I got my update. This morning, I checked the transfer to EHD screen, to see if all my shows were listed. No luck, the screen only shows about 2/3's of my shows. Several days ago I reported this problem to tech. support. They stated it was a new issue. What a joke. I have had this problem for over 1 year.

Well, there is no joy in Fairfaxville today. Got 502. Selected six movies to transfer. Screen said it would take less than 30 mins. Hmmmm.

Looks like two titles transferred. 4 hours worth in 30 mins - awfully fast.

So did 502 fail to fix my EHD problem? Cough, cough. One title, "This is the end" is corrupted, error code 04. I tried to delete it from the error screen, but that did not work. It deleted from the DVR screen. Checked the other two movies - both 04. All three were recorded during a free preview.

So I've now picked 7 titles to transfer. All 1-2 hours long. Estimated time is about an hour. This is not likely.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Dish needs to pull their heads out and fix the EHD problems! Stop all new software development and concentrate on fixing the bugs one at a time... Good f-ing grief...

All 7 transferred fine. Haven't checked for corruption yet...

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Since S502 update I am having trouble with three OTA channels. When I set a timer in the guide the icon does not show up. In the Timer's listing the timer is there but when I check the Timer Schedule it says No Timers Scheduled. This is happening on PBS channel 9.1, 9.2, and 9.4. The local satellite channel 9.0 and OTA channel 9.3 work OK. I noticed since the update two of our series timers on channel 9.4 were not recording and then discovered this issue. This is happening on three of my Hoppers, not sure if fourth Hopper is having the issue. Could this problem be with the guide from our local PBS affiliate or has anyone else seen this issue?

I have the exact same problem with OTA 5.2 COZI in the DFW area. Called and reported this to Tech Support on Friday. I set manual timers for 2 series and have been recording them ever since. A generic icon will display but once you open the folder the title and description is there on the recorded shows. Hope this will work for you.

I have the exact same problem with OTA 5.2 COZI in the DFW area. Called and reported this to Tech Support on Friday. I set manual timers for 2 series and have been recording them ever since. A generic icon will display but once you open the folder the title and description is there on the recorded shows. Hope this will work for you.

I will try a manual timer out and report the issue to the DIRT folks. Thanks

This morning at 4:30 a.m. while watching live TV, the pop-up message asking to allow an update did appear. Since my show had just ended, I told it 'Yes' and it promptly went into standby mode and updated. As stated earlier, I've been observing the pattern of the nightly updates since S502 and I've concluded that it's back to functioning as it did before S342 changed it. If you aren't recording anything, your Hopper will wait for about a half hour before bringing up the update message. If you're present you can dismiss it by selecting 'No' so your viewing isn't disrupted and it will ask later if you're still not recording. This is much better than it asking for an update whether you were recording or not, when it won't update until nothing is recording anyway.

Thanks for posting this earlier, can confirm mine is back to the way it was before 342 also. Tried it tonight & I'm so glad it was just a glitch that they actually fixed!

This morning at 4:30 a.m. while watching live TV with no recordings active, the pop-up message asking to allow an update did appear. Since my show had just ended, I told it 'Yes' and it promptly went into standby mode and updated. As stated earlier, I've been observing the pattern of the nightly updates since S502 and I've concluded that it's back to functioning as it did before S342 changed it. Once you are no longer recording anything your Hopper will wait for about a half hour before bringing up the update message. If you're present you can dismiss it by selecting 'No' so your viewing isn't disrupted and if you're still not recording it will ask later. This is much better than it asking for an update whether you were recording or not, when it won't update until nothing is recording anyway.

Same problem reported here. The timer for a sub channel for the local PBS is not working at all. Has anybody reported this to DIRT?

Same problem reported here. The timer for a sub channel for the local PBS is not working at all. Has anybody reported this to DIRT?
I haven't yet. Everytime I check there are no DIRT on line. I guess I will find one from one of my old PMs and report the issue. Has the OTA early start/end late issue been fixed yet? I haven't checked yet since S502 came out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)