Hopper with Sling Software Version S502 is Out

I have discovered a pleasant surprise since S502 update. If you are watching a recording that is still recording, you can now stop watching the recording and resume it later on after the program has finished recording. Previously, the resume didn't work, you had to start over from the beginning. I have tried this twice now and couldn't believe my eyes. This has been my #1 wish for Dish DVRs since I signed up back in 2007. Has anyone else noticed this too?

I happily discovered this last night, too, and was able to resume watching while it was still taping. I had to stop watching a second time, and, when I tried to finish watching after the show was over and the taping was completed, this time there was no 'resume' option - just to start over. Haven't had a chance yet to test it again, but has anyone else experienced this?

I happily discovered this last night, too, and was able to resume watching while it was still taping. I had to stop watching a second time, and, when I tried to finish watching after the show was over and the taping was completed, this time there was no 'resume' option - just to start over. Haven't had a chance yet to test it again, but has anyone else experienced this?

What is your software version?

One change I don't appreciate involves Search. I used to be able to highlight a show in the Hopper or Guide (for example Godzilla 2000), press Search and get the result. The title would then remain in the Search field so I could delete words after it until it just showed 'Godzilla', which would result in any other Godzilla results. My intention was to create a Seek & Record timer for all of the Godzilla movies this week. Now after I move to the search pad, my cursor lands on 'P' and my result instantly goes blank as if I cleared it. Now 'Godzilla 2000' is gone, preventing me from editing the title and I just have general search results. I used to do this shortcut a lot and now I can't. It was also helpful when I couldn't reproduce a character such as a hyphen, exclamation mark, or apostrophe (ex: Scooby-Doo!).

To get the search title back after it disappears when the left arrow is pressed, select it using the green Search History button.

Hhhhmmm. Still S342, but I don't remember seeing the resume-while-recording option before.

It was either S338 or S342 when it was discovered that the resume would work but only if you resumed while the program was still recording. That is what you are experiencing now. When you receive S502 run some more test and see if the resume also works after the recording has completed recording.

Ahhh, thanks! I'm always late getting updates, but it should be any day now - will test it ASAP.

Well bugger! I got the S502 update just now. After reading some things here over the last few days, I actually debated for a few seconds about whether to cancel the update, but I just figured it would do it later anyway when I was not around to stop it. Of course, after the update and reboot, I am now having problems with the Hopper. ARGGGHHH! Why can't they give us the OPTION to upgrade or not?! At least for a few weeks? Now, I am getting a lost signal message on the screen, for no valid reason. My TV and Hopper ran for the 14 hours prior to this update, through a rainstorm even, with no loss of signal. All of a sudden after the update, with no storms or anything else around, my picture has gone off on all channels, and I keep getting a message, even after rebooting, that the signal has been lost. I am going to try the next step of unplugging for a few minutes and hope that fixes the problemo. I love DISH, but they have been sorely testing my loyalty since about December with the software updates. <sigh> :rant:

Edited at 5:05AM EST to add: OK, disaster avoided.....so far, so good after the power unplug/replug! I would highly recommend if you know you have received the S502 update, that you go ahead and unplug/replug the unit as soon as possible. This may get poo-pooed by some here, but if you value your Hopper working properly and not missing any recordings, I say why not be safe rather than sorry. This is the first time I have ever had this happen after a software update, and I will be unplugging/replugging my second Hopper in a few minutes after I verify it has received S502. I do not want to find out later that it failed to record my shows after this update due to the mysterious "signal loss". :lovecomputer:

Last edited:
Because I have 2000 movies and a couple 1000 relatively new series,
I am interested in the External Hard Drive updates.

On the Season and Episode # vs old Episode #. (On EHD.)
Those with episodes over 10 do not get a season.
I have 4 episodes of Firefly with the same S, Ep numbers.
At least they didn't end up as straight alphabetic.
The episode names are different. One shows S3, Ep7 but the rest > S8.
Seems a waste to say Episode # and then give the Ep code.

My recordings--the listing included all the names but the
thumb on right about 2/3 down on last item (Deleted Recordings).
Properly full down on EHD Transfer page. May be working now.

My Cousteau Odyssey of 12 Recordings shows only 1.
Changing to date shows 6 ep of "Hey Baby, What's Wrong" S3, Ep7.
Remainder are S7 Ep10. How can that be? Each is a different size.

Need Season then Episode sort? Game of Thrones is a mess.
Same S,Ep has different titles. A preponderance of Ep 4 7 10?
Now I need a map of Ep only to S,Ep. Plays havoc with my Ep list.
Just one did not make it to EHD of a series.

[Aside, need an HD marker--not that many but it is important.]

All John Adams are S8, Ep4? Name of 1 is John Adams, 6 are Top Banana?

After EHD transfer setup it (once) returned to start but can you tell?
Restart showed it busy, good. But as before
still failed to finish last few seconds of transfer to EHD.
S432 did the rest of The Americans, just not this one. SO still bad.

As before, when it finishes(?) one-of-many transfers the
progress bar resets, but the corresponding episodes are not yet sent to EHD.
It stalls out--still does this.

Someday, they may get the Estimated Time Remaining sensible.
It starts wildly high and works down. If same transfer is tried again
it may start wildly low (a few seconds) but still take a long time.

Overall, not a big improvement but a little around the edges.

I've still got most of a 100 show that stop transfer in the last seconds.
-Ken

Since S502 update I am having trouble with three OTA channels. When I set a timer in the guide the icon does not show up. In the Timer's listing the timer is there but when I check the Timer Schedule it says No Timers Scheduled. This is happening on PBS channel 9.1, 9.2, and 9.4. The local satellite channel 9.0 and OTA channel 9.3 work OK. I noticed since the update two of our series timers on channel 9.4 were not recording and then discovered this issue. This is happening on three of my Hoppers, not sure if fourth Hopper is having the issue. Could this problem be with the guide from our local PBS affiliate or has anyone else seen this issue?

Just got S502 last night. I have about 12 timers set for new and new/reruns for 28.4 NHK. Every single one of them is now disabled and reporting "No Timers Scheduled" when checking the timer schedule. Full signal, have full guide data. Two manual "once a week" recordings I have on another OTA channel are still set to record properly.

I can't even manually record the shows from the guide, it freezes on "Please wait while we search for events..." then disappears. The new timer shows up, but like the other timers, it's not actually set to record anything.

I'm hoping this fixes itself after a day, I tried unplugging.

Did you hear back from DIRT?

Just got S502 last night. I have about 12 timers set for new and new/reruns for 28.4 NHK. Every single one of them is now disabled and reporting "No Timers Scheduled" when checking the timer schedule. Full signal, have full guide data. Two manual "once a week" recordings I have on another OTA channel are still set to record properly.

I can't even manually record the shows from the guide, it freezes on "Please wait while we search for events..." then disappears. The new timer shows up, but like the other timers, it's not actually set to record anything.

I'm hoping this fixes itself after a day, I tried unplugging.

Did you hear back from DIRT?

I sent my post to MattG couple days ago and haven't heard back yet.

I sent my post to MattG couple days ago and haven't heard back yet.

I submitted a report too. Can't record on any OTA channel.

They are having a horrible track record with OTA lately; one software makes all the OTA stutter; they send out a fix, next software prevents you from recording OTA...seems like OTA is not a heavy focus in testing...

Several issues introduced from the last update are still happening. The biggest pain for me is tuners getting stuck with '...is about to begin recording' which treats it as if it is recording when it's actually not and ties up the tuner so you cannot use it until a reset -- had it happen twice this week. This is a guaranteed way to miss a show and even more insulting is you can't record it because it will tell you 'Recording in progress'. It still shows events which aren't actually recording with a red dot indicating they are recording in the Daily Schedule. This becomes an issue because if you restart the Hopper it will begin recording. Also if you have a timer conflict the event you're not even recording gets included among the possible conflicts. It still doesn't show skipped or restored events properly in both the Guide and Daily Schedule (either x'ed out when they're active or not x'ed out when they've been skipped). Search results sometimes bring up incomplete info from the movie or show displaying 0 for all information and first airing in 1970 for the year. I also experienced unaccounted for brief signal loss affecting a channel which I was watching. The signal loss pop-up message is ridiculously huge now. Just glancing through some recent recordings shows that the '100% Watched' bug is still affecting some recordings. One positive aside from the change to the nightly update (which I already discussed in a previous post) is that instant record seems to be functioning properly, since I've been able to stop and resume recording minutes later without having to delete the Timer Event to get it to record. I appreciate the last two changes, but overall, I fail to see how timer and recording issues were addressed with this update.

Last edited:
Dish needs to pull their heads out and fix the EHD problems! Stop all new software development and concentrate on fixing the bugs one at a time... Good f-ing grief...

They won't listen to their customers. I bet Charlie has the reins and what he says goes. All new stuff trying to pull in as many new customers (read: $$$$) as they can. So they lose a few in the process. It's all a numbers game to them.

I'm so pi$$ed they can't even have the common decency to fix a yearlong (acknowledged) problem where My Folder's names are screwed up. Not a big deal?? Sure is when they are screwed up and you try and set a PTAT "record series" event to a created folder. At least that's what's been happening on my regular Hopper. All the items I want to go to one of my folders end up in the No Folder folder and I have to waste time moving them. Seems if you just record from a regular guide or search selection they will work. Kinda. I think.

I received S502 last night and, so far, everything seems to be working fine. All of the recordings scheduled for today were recorded.

I got a surprise, though. I got a lot of new timers added! With the last update I lost about a dozen timers from my list, so I replaced them. Today I noticed that all of the timers that were lost last time had returned! Now I had lots of duplicates, plus some for shows that are no longer on the air. I had to delete all of them.

I checked my EHD and programs play back from there okay. I haven't tried recording anything to it yet.

I'll have to check on what was mentioned about not being able to record OTA stations. I haven't tried that yet.

I cringe every time I hear that a new update has been released, because you never know what surprises will be waiting for you after you get it!

Larry
SF

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)