Hopper with Sling Upgrade Technical Issue Help

In the rare event an installation has both satellites 119 and 61.5 on the same switch matrix, software may not download on the Hopper with Sling during initial installation. The 119 and 61.5 configuration on the same switch matrix is a rare configuration. Showroom locations and installation offices that have satellites pointing at both EA and WA for training purposes may encounter this issue when installing Hopper with Sling at the facility.

--

For a new Hopper with Sling installation that has both 119 and 61.5 take the following action. These steps are to be performed before powering on the Hopper with Sling:

Disconnect either the 119 or 61.5 satellite feed from the DPP switch or integrated LNBF inputPower on the Hopper with Sling and proceed with the normal installation wizard steps

After the download is complete reconnect either the 119 or 61.5 feed and run a check switch test

Proceed with installation as normal

--

In the event download was attempted on the Hopper with Sling while both 119 and 61.5 were connected but failed, take the following actions:

Disconnect the Hopper with Sling from power

Disconnect either the 119 or 61.5 satellite feed from the DPP switch or integrated LNBF input

Power on the Hopper with Sling and run a check switch test

After the check switch test, the disconnected satellite will disappear from the switch matrix and software will download normally

--

After the download is complete reconnect either the 119 or 61.5 feed and run a check switch testProceed with installation as normal

Thanks for the helpful post :) . Kinda wish it were a tad more legible, lol, so I fixed it.

I had the software download issue the other day when replacing a regular Hopper with a Hopper with Sling. I look at satellites 72 77 61.5 and 119. When all 4 were connected the wizard would stall at step two downloading the software. When we tried disconnecting the 119 from the DPP it would never get past the check switch and was in a continual reboot cycle. Therefore the answer you are offering does not only work.
I finally hooked back up all the satellite locations shown above and waited for over 3 hours and it finally was at a stage where I had a picture and could pair my remote from the settings function. It still showed the factory installed software but after a few minutes it started to download the software but now outside of the wizard sequence.

This was very frustrating as I spent over 8 hours working on just replacing a satellite box. I also had a service tech with me for over 3 hours and he could not figure it out.

My solution for Dish for all replacement receivers is to preload the respective software before they are mailed to the customer to avoid long software download issues and speed up the process. Cable companies already do this, so I can't see why when it is a replacement satellite receiver that Dish could not also do this.

I agree. The factory firmware is so primitive and touchy, ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Upgrade from 722 to HWS with failing switch test

Greetings,
I purchased a HWS to replace a 722. The 722 setup functions perfectly. I attached my separator feeds to a solo node and the host line to the HWS. It fails the switch test every time it runs. I have a 1000.4 dish on EA. Only tuner 1 passes with all 3 EA positions, tuner 2 sees none and tuner 3 only sees 2. I don't know if there is a problem with the Hopper or the node. I have a tech visit on 8/5 but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions to help solve before then.

Thanks,
Larry

Can't use a separator in a Hopper system. You have to run an additional coax from the dish to the node. Remove the separator and connect just the one coax, check switch will then show two tuners as OK. If only one tuner shows OK, move the coax to the other node input. Run the second coax later to get all three tuners working. If you are OK with only two tuners, you don't even need a node, it's only function is to enable the third tuner.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)