Hopper with Sling Upgrade Technical Issue Help

skibase

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Yesterday I went to install our new Hopper with Sling upgrade for one of our existing Hoppers. There is a 6 stage boot up process and ours continued to stall on step 2 where it is trying to download the software. It states it should take no longer than 20 minutes so after an hour I called tech support and they tried to assist over the phone but could not do much as I was not even at a stage where I could pair my remote yet. They were able to send out a technician later in the day. He saw the issue and thought it may be a bad Hopper so we tried replacing it with another one, but again we had the same problem it stalls on the software upload right after it completes the check switch etc. which always comes back as OK.
He was here over three hours and finally I just needed him to go so we could eat dinner. Before he left we hooked back up the old Hopper without Sling and it worked fine. Mind you this one already had the correct software on it.
I told him before he left that I would try it again later tonight and see if it takes before calling again in the morning. I set it up just before dinner and about an hour and a half later I noticed the green power light was not on. I hit the power button on the receiver and I was able to watch and change channels. I then proceeded to pair my remote. once I did that I proceeded to restore my original settings via the remote memory feature and half way through this process it stalled and went to a blank screen.
I was forced to reset the receiver and we are now back at the first problem again where it will not download the software.
Has anyone else had this issue? Are there possibly a bad batch of Hoppers with Sling out there? DIRT please offer any suggestions.

Some background: I have been a Dish customer for over 19 years. I installed my first Dish and believe I could now install the new Hopper and Joey system based upon all the pains I have been through with this system. Bottom line I am very technical and truly believe that there is a Hopper with Sling hardware and/or software issue.

Any assistance would be welcome.

Bruce

Tried a factory defaults? Tried another check switch? Tried a red button reboot? Tried a power cord reboot?

Yes,yes,yes and yes. Still will not get past step 2 downloading software. My other Hopper and linked Joeys work fine. Not a wiring switch or node issue.

Most software DL issues during Hopper installation are on EA. It's due to Hopper being configured to pick up WA at the factory.

Next time it messes up :-

1. Red button reset
2. Press MENU on the front panel
3. Select Settings
4. Select Point Dish
5. Select Check Switch
6. Select Test
7. Make sure the satellite matrix is displaying the correct sats for your installation
8. Select Save
9. Press SYSTEM INFO on the front panel
10. Select Close

Should do it. If not, replace the Hopper and/or check lines/node/dish.

I look at three orbital locations: 61.5. 72. 77 and a separate dish looking at 119. I still have a Dish looking at 119 as I still receive two western network channels from alternate provider. Yesterday the tech disconnected the 119 dish to see if that was confusing the Hopper as to where to download the software from. It did not make much sense to me as I receive regular software updates with it connected with no issues. When he did we had the same problem of it stalling however it did not appear to follow the wizard pattern of installation. It then could not even get past the check switch. I think it was because he disconnected it from the LNB vs. disconnecting it at the switch.
Regardless I don't believe this has anything to do with the software not downloading.

The Hopper must have the proper satellites in the check switch matrix in order to be set up. If it's not making it past the check switch then there is an issue somewhere. Try the steps in my previous post and if that doesn't work, as previously stated, replace Hopper and/or check lines/node/switch/dish for issues.

Tried your suggestion but after hitting reset the menu button does nothing. It always passes step one for the three tuners and reception is verified on all 4 locations 72 6.5 7u and 119. It then just stalls forever on downloading software.

Check switch is fine and other Hopper (not sling loaded) and connected Joeys work fine.

Would it be worth a try to remove the 119 dish at the switch to avoid any confusion of where it is pulling software from? Again tech tried this but he disconnected at the LNB which left it connected at the switch which I believe made it fail the check switch.

During the check switch there should be at least 3-4 steps on each tuner. They might have changed the installation wizard on the HwS vs the first-generation Hopper. I'm not sure how you would manually initiate the check switch if the steps I posted don't work. Maybe someone else can help with that. My two HwS upgrades went smoothly with no need for a manual check switch or factory defaults (my Hoppers are on WA.) My first-generation Hoppers months ago all required a factory defaults and/or a manual check switch.

Check switch is fine and other Hopper (not sling loaded) and connected Joeys work fine.

Would it be worth a try to remove the 119 dish at the switch to avoid any confusion of where it is pulling software from? Again tech tried this but he disconnected at the LNB which left it connected at the switch which I believe made it fail the check switch.

Are you using a DPP44? Couldn't hurt to try disconnecting at the switch. Is the check switch pulling in 77/72.7/61.5?

Hess using Dpp44 all four locations complete the check switch. The only issue with disconnecting the 119 location is I can't see which one goes to the dish pointed at the 1qp location. Also not sure which end of the switch ( left side or bottom) goes directly to the dish on the roof, so I may be hit or miss. Do you know which side of the dpp44 connects directly to the dish?

Think I figured out side of switch going to dish. It is the left side now I just need to figure out which one of the 4 is the 119 location.

left

Pretty odd if all sats are pulling in and it's still not downloading the software. Tried replacing the Hopper (again?)

Does the check switch matrix list 77 72.7 61.5 in that order?

Yes I'm first going to try and disconnect the 119 at the switch and if that does not work then call Dish to have them send another Hopper with Sling. Do you work for Dish or are you just an expert on this forum?

Thanks for all your help! You were great. I'll be sure to let you know how I make out.

In the rare event an installation has both satellites 119 and 61.5 on the same switch matrix, software may not download on the Hopper with Sling during initial installation. The 119 and 61.5 configuration on the same switch matrix is a rare configuration. Showroom locations and installation offices that have satellites pointing at both EA and WA for training purposes may encounter this issue when installing Hopper with Sling at the facility.For a new Hopper with Sling installation that has both 119 and 61.5 take the following action. These steps are to be performed before powering on the Hopper with Sling:Disconnect either the 119 or 61.5 satellite feed from the DPP switch or integrated LNBF inputPower on the Hopper with Sling and proceed with the normal installation wizard stepsAfter the download is complete reconnect either the 119 or 61.5 feed and run a check switch testProceed with installation as normalIn the event download was attempted on the Hopper with Sling while both 119 and 61.5 were connected but failed, take the following actions:Disconnect the Hopper with Sling from powerDisconnect either the 119 or 61.5 satellite feed from the DPP switch or integrated LNBF inputPower on the Hopper with Sling and run a check switch testAfter the check switch test, the disconnected satellite will disappear from the switch matrix and software will download normallyAfter the download is complete reconnect either the 119 or 61.5 feed and run a check switch testProceed with installation as normal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts