Hoppers constantly trying to access my internet gateway?

DBS Commando

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
I have a pretty advanced gateway/firewall on my network (not "consumer" branded by any means) that gives me the ability to monitor exactly what traffic goes back and forth between the internet and my network.

One thing that the hoppers do that nothing else on my network does is constantly try to send packets directly to the gateway. My gateway blocks them, but having 2 hoppers on my network constantly trying to communicate it sucks up unnecessary resources.

The hoppers trying accessing it via the ICMP protocol and then the UDP protocol. For the UDP protocol, the source port is 5101 and it's trying to connect to 5351 on my gateway.

Here is a sampling of the logs:
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD]23:59:49[/TD]
[TD]Default DROP[/TD]
[TD]UDP[/TD]
[TD="align: right"][TABLE="width: 0"]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]192.168.1.21[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]:[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]5101[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]?[/TD]
[TD="align: left"][TABLE="width: 0"]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]192.168.1.1[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]5351[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]len=30[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]ttl=64[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]tos=0x00[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]srcmac=*****[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]dstmac=*****[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[TR]
[TD]23:59:52[/TD]
[TD]Default DROP[/TD]
[TD]ICMP[/TD]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]192.168.1.22[/TD]
[TD="align: center"][/TD]
[TD="align: left"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]len=84[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[TR]
[TD]23:59:57[/TD]
[TD]Default DROP[/TD]
[TD]UDP[/TD]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]192.168.1.21[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]5101[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"]5351[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]len=30[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[TR]
[TD]23:59:59[/TD]
[TD]Default DROP[/TD]
[TD]ICMP[/TD]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]192.168.1.22[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]len=84[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

192.168.1.21 and 192.168.1.22 are both hoppers. 192.168.1.1 is my gateway.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

I have sling setup on both hoppers and both work fine when accessed from outside of my firewall. Both hoppers also show internet connectivity but oddly sometimes "loses" internet connectivity during the evening hours yet maintains server connectivity? Makes so sense to me.

Any ideas on what's going on?

Did you ever find out the issue with this? I have had the hopper/2 joey for two weeks connected through wifi. I have been able to get to my photos off DNLA as well as stream movies when it is connected so I know that the connection works. However the hopper seems to randomly lose connection with the server at least once within every hour. The hopper connectivity test says it is connected yet when I try to use on demand it will say no server connection. Then if I reset the connection it is fine for a while again. Could this have something to do with WAP2 security or something? All 10 of my other devices work fine on my wifi system.

I have had nothing but trouble getting the system to work online. Server Connection: Failed. the Hopper sees my local DLNA servers, a Plex Media Server, but can't access any internet service. Dish has absolutely zero networking documentation and just sends people out who know nothing about networking. Told me to open ports 80, 443 and 5678. Did that, doesn't work. Worked fine without any ports opened up with the VIP722 it replaced. I am using a Cisco 5505 internet appliance as my firewall. I've told RayC(at)Dish about this, but I don't think he has access to any better information than the people they waste money paying to visit my home.

Did you ever find out the issue with this? I have had the hopper/2 joey for two weeks connected through wifi. I have been able to get to my photos off DNLA as well as stream movies when it is connected so I know that the connection works. However the hopper seems to randomly lose connection with the server at least once within every hour. The hopper connectivity test says it is connected yet when I try to use on demand it will say no server connection. Then if I reset the connection it is fine for a while again. Could this have something to do with WAP2 security or something? All 10 of my other devices work fine on my wifi system.

From what I've been able to figure out, it's a problem with Dish's software/system. I've been able to operate my hoppers just fine over the internet, yet they constantly seem to "lose broadband connection." From what I've been able to tell, the hoppers are using the ICMP protocol to check and make sure that the Dish servers are still there. However, most internet gateways block the packets from moving LAN to WAN and fool the hopper into thinking that it has lost connectivity when it really has not. I think this is related to Dish's solution on how to connect receivers to the internet without actually requiring customers to enable port forwarding on their firewall. The Hopper simply pings a server through a generic port that is always open (such as 80) and will download any new information the server has queued up for that particular Hopper's SN such as new timer recording information, etc set by a customer through the dishonline.com portal. My guess is the server also relays all Sling traffic as well. Intuitive solution, but brings about some small, irritating problems for nerds. ;)

I have had nothing but trouble getting the system to work online. Server Connection: Failed. the Hopper sees my local DLNA servers, a Plex Media Server, but can't access any internet service. Dish has absolutely zero networking documentation and just sends people out who know nothing about networking. Told me to open ports 80, 443 and 5678. Did that, doesn't work. Worked fine without any ports opened up with the VIP722 it replaced. I am using a Cisco 5505 internet appliance as my firewall. I've told RayC(at)Dish about this, but I don't think he has access to any better information than the people they waste money paying to visit my home.

What does the internet connection test tell you? Does your cisco router allow you look at Live Logs to see what's going on? Sounds like it's blocking packets through 80 but I don't know why it would do that unless you have some super strict filtering/proxying going on.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts