Hopping off the Hopper Zone?

robertw477

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
After being a Dish subscriber for 13+ years I am thinking of jumping ship. Looking at the new costs of the new Hopper to upgrade my 722K between the initial receiver cost on top of my current bill (Everything pack + locals + superstations) For many years I felt Dish was the best bang for the buck, however with the huge Direct sign up promotions it looks like a far better deal for the 24 months. I know the first year savings goes up in year 2 with them, but it looks like a huge deal overall for bascially the same content I am getting right now. NFL package is not a factor for me since I dont watch NFL :). I guess the Directtv new customer promo is similar in nature to what dish offers but from what I see the loyal customer is not really rewarded from the satellite companies. The crazy thing around here is that I get basic and expanded cable channels from comcast (due to home owners association) I am wondering if others thing along these same lines. Since Direct TV has the genie system it seems that they have a competive product form the technology aspect. I know the features of the new hopper but it is worth paying a huge amount of money for. My parents right now have a standard programming packaging from dish with old equipment and only 1 dvr. I think they shoulkd switch as well even though I have an everything package and they havezero movie channels and just a basic tv package. If just for the reason to get a much better receiver for free, why pay dish even 200.00 for the receiver if they can get one for free? Dish gives new customers the equipment for free.

I guess the Directtv new customer promo is similar in nature to what dish offers but from what I see the loyal customer is not really rewarded from the satellite companies.
If you're really legitimately leaving for DirecTV, then the loyalty department at Dish might make a compelling offer to keep you as a customer. There's nothing wrong with switching back and forth to chase promotions as long as the other guy provides the programming and hardware that you want.

You could always get a Hopper 1.0 (or two) for a lot cheaper and it's still better than DirecTV's receivers.

I think the threads are popping up because I think it is something that seems to be ongoing in the business. I used to hear about customers who would go back and forth every few years with dish and direct. I never bothered with that. However I think now as we get more advanced with the equipment and the startup deals may be even more compelling. No matter what people dont like shelling out 200 for a receiver. I am paying almost 1700.00 for satellite tv. Therefore if I were to sign a 24 month deal on the new hopper that is approx $3400.00 with taxes. That is a huge amount of money for TV. With the $200.00 receiver the total cost is now at $3600.00. Right off the top taking this to Direct Tv should save me Approx $1100.00 or more form my calculations. That is no small amount. With the expansion of streaming services and online, things could even get more competitive over time.

You need to get off your $200 pulpit. If you are a customer in good standing, the Original Hopper will only cost you $50.00. Do you HAVE TO HAVE Hopper with Sling?

With the $200.00 receiver the total cost is now at $3600.00.

To reiterate and clarify what 3HaloODST said above, the Hopper Mk1 is only $50/ea to upgrade. It costs $200 to upgrade to a single Hopper Mk2. If you don't need the Hopper Transfer app, then just go with the Mk1.

My brother just switched back to Direct from Dish. Genie was free as well as installation and one other receiver. In addition to the advertised promo prices, he received $10 off for 20 months, $10 off for 10 months plus a $100 debit card. Hard to refuse when they toss all that at you.

Who cares what the price will be for 2 years? 2 years will be over before you know it. Compare the non-discount prices. Of course Dish and Directv both look cheap to new customers.

Also, as mentioned before, call the loyalty department, giving a subscriber a break every month is better than not having a subscriber at all.

Loyalty department just hooked me up with no cost upgrade to the hopper 2.0 and one Joey plus $15 off per month for 10 months. Give em a chance.

One of the big issues I see with either company is the fact you have to pay for an upgrade on leased equipment, and you don't get to keep the equipment at the end. And even if you out right buy the equipment, you are charged the same monthly fee if you leased it. Comcast and U-Verse I didn't have to pay any money to get the equipment, I paid a fee per month, then at the end of service, I returned the equipment. With Dish (and I assume Direct) you pay $200 up front, monthly fee, and at the end of the contract you have to return the equipment if you leave. That I really don't get.

I am a bleeding edge technology type person, I always love having the latest and greatest thing. I can understand upgrading in the middle of a contract having to pay something, you do that when you upgrade your phone in the middle of your contract in cell phone, you pay more. I understand where people want to flip flop between the two because of the promotions. At the end of my 2 year contract with Dish, if I want to upgrade to the latest hardware, and they want me to pay $200 just to get the equipment and sign another 2 year contract plus the fees, where Direct will give me the latest hardware for free plus my monthly bill will be lower than what I'm currently paying with Dish, then that is a very tempting offer.

IMO existing customer that are out of their contract should be given the same level (or better) deals than a new customer. I understand that the new customer deals are to attract new customers, but if you are out of your contract, that means that Dish is likely to loose you as a customer unless they can tie you into another contract.

I just added a second Hopper solved all my problems and got the wife off my back, and it only was $50 and free install if you have the equipment agreement. DirecTV was a nightmare for me I am glad I came back to dish last year, just want more HD and I will be happy.

One of the big issues I see with either company is the fact you have to pay for an upgrade on leased equipment, and you don't get to keep the equipment at the end. And even if you out right buy the equipment, you are charged the same monthly fee if you leased it. Comcast and U-Verse I didn't have to pay any money to get the equipment, I paid a fee per month, then at the end of service, I returned the equipment. With Dish (and I assume Direct) you pay $200 up front, monthly fee, and at the end of the contract you have to return the equipment if you leave. That I really don't get.

I am a bleeding edge technology type person, I always love having the latest and greatest thing. I can understand upgrading in the middle of a contract having to pay something, you do that when you upgrade your phone in the middle of your contract in cell phone, you pay more. I understand where people want to flip flop between the two because of the promotions. At the end of my 2 year contract with Dish, if I want to upgrade to the latest hardware, and they want me to pay $200 just to get the equipment and sign another 2 year contract plus the fees, where Direct will give me the latest hardware for free plus my monthly bill will be lower than what I'm currently paying with Dish, then that is a very tempting offer.

IMO existing customer that are out of their contract should be given the same level (or better) deals than a new customer. I understand that the new customer deals are to attract new customers, but if you are out of your contract, that means that Dish is likely to loose you as a customer unless they can tie you into another contract.

A lot of what you said makes sense and many others have wished for it as well. If they did go this route I would think they'd have to go to a 3 year commitment then. If they are going to be giving so much away for free they need to make sure you remain a customer long enough to make some money.

Here's what gets me... The $$$ that we pay upfront to upgrade the equipment, what does that cover since we would have to return the equipment if we stop the service? Think about cable internet on the other hand. You can either bring your own or you can rent it from them. You pay $10 a month (or what ever the price is) and you use the modem from the cable company. If anything happens to the modem, they replace it. Or you bring your own, don't pay an extra $10 a month, and if something happens to it you are responsible for replacement. Apply that to satellite service. Lets say you shell out the upfront cost of buying the equipment, what does the $7 a month for every joey/hopper cover? There is no protection plan unless you pay for it, and you are already paying $$$ for the programming. If you are leasing the equipment, that would make sense to pay the $7 a month because you don't own the equipment.

The $$$ to upgrade when you are out of contract gets me the most when they give the equipment away to new customers for free.

I am in no way saying that I hate my service, I actually like it better than the comcast or the u-verse service i've had. This is more of a rant where it seems like the satellite companies are having their cake and eating it too.

Cable and satellite are 2 different models. Costs are much different. Federal rules are also different. Cable installs are also much less complicated than satellite installs. If the Satellite companies gave free equipment upgrades every 2 years to all customers there soon would be no satellite TV. It can't be supported. Right now new customers get the best deals with both companies and then they try to retain current customers best they can and still remain profitable.

As far as paying up front for equipment that is leased, the satellite model is closer to the car model in that respect than the cable model. You pay upfront (existing customers) and pay monthly and at the end the equipment belongs to them. In the old days a lot of people bought their own equipment, but now that doesn't make as much sense for most people. As far as leasing cable equipment with no upfront cost, the down side is you're getting cable equipment. When I had a VIP722 I would go to my parents house who had Time Warner and it was like taking a major step down. Now that I have a Hopper it is like going back to the stone ages.

Cable and satellite are 2 different models. Costs are much different. Federal rules are also different. Cable installs are also much less complicated than satellite installs. If the Satellite companies gave free equipment upgrades every 2 years to all customers there soon would be no satellite TV. It can't be supported. Right now new customers get the best deals with both companies and then they try to retain current customers best they can and still remain profitable.

As far as paying up front for equipment that is leased, the satellite model is closer to the car model in that respect than the cable model. You pay upfront (existing customers) and pay monthly and at the end the equipment belongs to them. In the old days a lot of people bought their own equipment, but now that doesn't make as much sense for most people. As far as leasing cable equipment with no upfront cost, the down side is you're getting cable equipment. When I had a VIP722 I would go to my parents house who had Time Warner and it was like taking a major step down. Now that I have a Hopper it is like going back to the stone ages.

I have to disagree with you to a certain degree. Yes I do agree that costs are much different between satellite and cable, and the rules are different too. The issue though is they way satellite companies do their thing, they treat new customers better than existing customer that are out of contract. They give them better rates, free equipment, and to make sure they recoup the cost of the free equipment they keep the new customers locked into a contract for 2 years. There is no incentive for an existing customer out of contract to stay when their competition is offering a better deal to become a new customer with them than to stay with who they already have. So they have to be able to make money during the 2 years that a new customer is in contract or they wouldn't have prices that low, and they say free equipment and installation if you qualify, nearly everyone qualified. I had to file chapter 13 not that long ago and I got free installation and free equipment.

But here's the difference between the car and satellite model. At the end of your leased term with the car, you have the option to buy the car and stop paying the monthly payment (fee). You also have the option to buy the car at full cost and not have to pay anything per month to own the car. Dish allows you to own the equipment and use it on their service, but you have to pay a fee for each equipment regardless of ownership or leasing of that equipment. I would like to know the exact reason for the fee, and what it covers. You are already paying for the content being sent down to your house. I get that. But I don't see how it costs D* any more money to have that signal sent through your house to X number of receivers. I really never understood the extra fee for HD because that signal is already being sent down that line, and doesn't cost anything more in the future to send that stream. I can understand that they had to invest in the infrastructure to be able to send that stream down the line, but at some point that infrastructure will be paid for, and will they drop that fee??? No. But yeah, ok, I get an extra service, so I am some what ok with the fee cause I can see it. Having to pay a fee for equipment you own, to use their stream, and I don't see how it costs Dish any extra to have 1 Hopper in a house or 1 Hopper and 20 Joeys (yeah I know, only 3 work on a hopper, just making a point) in a house. They don't have to turn and point more satellites at your house because of it, the one stream that is coming down already supports 1 or 21 devices. So what does that extra $7 for another Joey cover if I am not leasing the Joey from Dish? It doesn't cover damage to the unit for what ever reason, there is an extra fee for that.

I'd much rather buy my equipment and not have monthly fees. I think the issue is that the guide providers, and possibly the content providers (why are these two different entities?) charge Dish a per outlet fee. So, even if you bring your own device, Dish still gets hit with the additional outlet fees, which they ever so kindly pass along to us. Now, I'm sure Dish also make decent coin off this as well. The current pricing and content model will collapse, just a matter of when.

Don't all providers do that? I believe I recall having an additional fee for each cable box that I had with cable and I believe Direct TV charges for additional boxes as well, even if they are purchased. Maybe someone who knows for certain can confirm or correct me.

Don't all providers do that? I believe I recall having an additional fee for each cable box that I had with cable and I believe Direct TV charges for additional boxes as well, even if they are purchased. Maybe someone who knows for certain can confirm or correct me.
Yeah, I think they do, and it sucks. It won't last, however.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts