Horible Voom Experience

Commandline

Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
So far I have sparkles on these channels: Cartoon Network, Headline News, TLC, BET, NICK, CNN and History. I called Voom, seems no one there knows how to align a C Band dish or deny they are using one.. Ha right. They are reuplinking these from the analog vc2 on c band. History channel is the worst. Installs Inc. was able to confrim that this is not a receiver problem, they see them sparkies too. Voom insists that it's my problem after their own installers see them too, are you? History is having a hard time, I have a C Band and can see sparkles in History too, just not as many. The HD is nice but the SD PQ is bad on Voom. White=grey and many of the colors are dull. Voom supplyed an amped Winegard OTA antenna, however, the installer used a diplexer. Most all diplexers DO NOT pass power to the ant/cable port, hell mine even shows a diagram on it that shows dc blocked connection. I climbed up there and checked, no VDC to the antenna... so that explains alot about my OTA, None.
Installs INC. Jacked me around alot and made for a 5 week wait for Voom. Lots of he said/she said and made me wait longer because of that. Installer had only a DTV dish with an eagle aspen LNBF. Eagle aspen are the worst lnb/lnbfs and the DTV dish is 18" which is inapropriate for my area. The look angle is 11deg. above the horizon. I ditched their dish and used a new fortec star I had, about 32". Took signal from 40 to 70+ and am using a fortec LNBF. Fixed the lagging channel changes and breakups.
I feel I had to fix alot of there installers problems. He was a nice guy and was limited by voom had to give him. Took them for a tour of the sats I have and did side by side comparisons on SD and HD. If you care to know C band won hands down on SD, and it was a 2 way tie for HD (voom and HDD-201) using HD Theater. Dishnet a close 2nd.
Final Thoughts: 1. If you have the wineguard w/amp check for 14/18 (13/17) VDC at the connection of the antenna. 2. West coast, demand a better dish than 18". 3. If you see sparkes on any channel (except History, us C Banders know they are sparklin) call voom and get them to fix it, it's from their C-Band uplink (SD channels, and not all of them are C Band uplinks). 4. Yes I love C-band, but I love new tech. Voom should be on the ball with this stuff to compete in the market of SD. SD channels still make up the mojority of what the "AVERAGE" person watches. Until these networks go HD, ANY sat provider should have a good clean SD Picture, It ain't hard to do.
/remove "Soapbox"

i had dashes on SD, I finally cancelled, couldn't really watch abcfamily and nick w/out it getting really bad.

I have a BUD in my backyard, maybe I should fire itup.

I have voom and really like the HD channels, but will not get rid of my C-Band "BUD" anytime soon. As long as Voom is reuplinking programs from the analog C-Band I will hold on to the old system. I have had C-Band for over 20 years and love the picture. I just wish HD was available at a reasonable price on the big dishes. I also have seen degrading signal on some C-band channels. Especially G5 even channels! Seems like these old satellites are in need of replacement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)