Horrible Video Breakups on INDIE & RETRO (WA)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pendragon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
I've been interested in a number of movies on these channels since they were added, but after the first few days I've been noticing fairly frequent video and audio breakups. I'm on 110/119/129 in the Denver area and 129 is on a 76cm dish getting SQ readings in the high 70s and low 80s using Dish 211s.

I see no problems on the other 129 HD channels, or any of the other birds for that matter. In fact I ran a test where I made a six hour recording on MAX at the same time I was making a six hour recording on INDIE. This was on my R5000s so I could examine the transport streams afterwards. The MAX recording had zero errors, but the INDIE recording had serious transport errors several times per hour. I then had the R5000s record the opposite channels and the problems stayed on the INDIE channel with the other R5000. MAX remained perfect. RETRO is on the same transponder as INDIE and has similar problems. The fact that MAX was fine the whole time indicates there was no interruption of the link to my dish, and that there was likely no issue from the LNB to the receivers.

At first I thought the problem might be in my system. I checked the dish alignment, the cables and ultimately swapped the LNBF. Same problems. So this afternoon I asked a friend, who also has a R5000, to record a movie on RETRO with his setup while I recorded on mine. After scanning our two transport streams, there were about 10 major errors, all but one at identical times. This evidence points to either a problem in the transport streams when DN uplinks them to 129, or a problem on 129 itself.

I'm curious if others are seeing the same thing, particularly on the EA with these two channels. I've been thinking of setting up another dish for 72.7 and using one R5000 to record on 129 while the other records on 72.7 to determine whether Dish is having problems with the feeds or their bird.

I also noticed a few "glitches" on these two channels. I really like the channels and hope that they resolve the problem.

This problem seems to occur on a lot of HD channels for a short period after they are launched.
IIRC, someone stated a year or so ago, right after a particular channel had launched that was having pixelation issues, that Dish's encoders at the uplink were at fault. It took a little while for Dish to get things tweaked. It's all French to me, so who knows?

Twice I tried watching the movie Out of Africa on INDIE and the sound dialog was 4 seconds off. I gave up.

If everyone would email the dishquality@echostar.com department, they will then look at these two channels to fix them. That is there job, to insure good picture quality on channels. In the past I've emailed them about locals and other channels that are having problems and they have always responded and done something about it.

Hi all, glad to read I'm not the only one seeing the picture break-up. In my case it was much worse last Sunday evening. Yesterday I only had a few slight break-ups. I'm on WA - 110,119 and 129W and located near Central Florida. Using a VIP 222 Hope they can get this fixed as I really enjoy some of the moves. Later, DC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)