Hot receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shadyone

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Hi everyone,
I have been viewing the site for awhile now but this is my first post. I just bought a Coolsat 8000 off e-bay to replace my 7000. I'm a RTN fanatic and I wanted the dvbs2 ability for future use. The built in ac-3 audio is also great. The receiver works well but it does seem to get rather hot. :eek:My question is does anyone else have this problem (Iceberg?) or is it just me. Also how hot can the receiver get before some extra cooling is needed? I may be paranoid but I don't want any problems. Thanks,

Shadyone

mine sits on top of the video cabinet because it does get hot and will reboot if it gets too hot. But with mine on top of the cabinet it can be on all day with no issues :)

but it does run a little warmer than others

I think all of the HD boxes get hot. My Diamond gets so hot I can boil crawfish on it after awhile. One of my future projects is opening it up and figuring out how to put a pc fan or two in there....:cool:

my pansat 9200HD gets hot. I have a pc fan mounted behind it blowing air on it 24/7.
I guess the faster cpu required for these HD boxes make a lot more heat.

hot stuff

Any sort of entertainment center with glass doors on the front is probably the worst.
They never have enough rear vents for much more than getting the cables out. :(

Users have reported that by elevating the hot device (maybe 3/4 inch) on tall feet or by other means, is helpful

As mentioned above, the laptop cooler pads are sometimes availiable for $10 to $20
Put one under the hot unit, and see if it helps. (not a 100% sure-fire fix, in my experience)

You cannot have anything mounted on top of the hot equipment.
If you do, make sure the next unit above is mounted at least 3/4 inch or higher!
Even so, the restriction of air flow is a real problem, and demands forced cooling.

At least one receiver on the market was re-released with a cooling fan, due to having problems.

In my experiences cooling hot hard drives, I've found that just a little constant breeze over them will drop the temp a good 10º to 20º without any effort!
I've actually had "hot" drives become "cool" drives with a little fan.

A major objection of cooling fans, is the noise.
Try 120mm fans. They're big, and they run slow, still move plenty of air, and they are quiet!
I've bought them from $2 to $5, some in black, some in clear with blue LEDs. :cool:
Just don't stick your fingers in one while running. :eek:

when I had the SV8000 it got quite hot, I installed one of those 120mm fans ontop, boy did it help alot. they run quiet and move alot of air.

A 12 volt wall transformer works great. I pick mine up at Value Village (its a thrift type store here in Canada) and just cut the end off and wire them up.

Here's a picture of a hard drive Y cable, suitable for powering a fan if you have a hard drive.
Available all over the place , sometimes for less. ;)

edit: I've also found lots of uses for these USB hard drive adapters (they have multiple models)
And often the power supply is not used. It would run a fan for free. :)

But actually, this is probably one of the best answers:
A 12 volt wall transformer works great.
I pick mine up at Value Village (its a thrift type store here in Canada) and just cut the end off and wire them up.
more edit: the unregulated 9v supplies probably put out plenty under the low load of a fan.
Give one a try.
And regardless of supply, feel free to use it to run two fans. You can never have too many. ;)

Last edited:
cool it!

i was clening and found an old cpu fan staring me in the face. I also found out my c-band receiver has 2 transformers and a big heatsink so it really puts out the heat. So i cut the end off the fan connctor, stripped the wires, and plugged it in to where i had 12 volts. now my receiver is cool and it didnt cost a thing!
hrajy9.jpg

I have done the same thing to my Pansat 3500, now I need to figure out a way to cool my Coolsat 6000 since it is my main receiver, Oh the irony! :D

attachment.php

Just wanted everyone to know I solved my heat issue with the coolsat 8000. I had a laptop cool pad that I never used (bought for 20$). I put this under the receiver and used a powered USB hub ($19.99 at Wal-Mart) to provide power. My receiver went from being so hot it could burn to now not even warm. The only problem is having to switch the pad on and off along with the receiver. Now if someone could figure out how to edit channels on the coolsat 8000 so I didn't have 53 channel 2's, I would be a truly happy camper.

Status
Please reply by conversation.