hotdish 90 on amazonas

Status
Please reply by conversation.

farmer_ck

Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
south mississippi USA
I am having trouble getting my dish pointed right at 61w. i can only get 1 channel that is on LyngSat's list.the rest of the channels are from 61.5w and if i turn the other way a little i start getting sky from 58w. Am i doing something wrong. I have a ws9036 dish with a geosatpro gsl1s-bullet lnb on a coolsat 7000 micro-pvr. Please tell me i didn't sink a boatload of money into a lost cause.

What are you trying to pick up?
Most of Amazonas is for Brazil and South America and the US is outside of the footprint

I would really like to get the telmex packages, I hear that most of the package is english with spanish subs... and even if it isn't, i really hate to admit defeat. which i think i am going to have to do. I can pick up all of the transponders on the sky satellite which is at 58w. If I can get all of that one, I just can't understand why i cant get 61w

Farmer, the channels you are after are on Amazonas 1 and are beamed only to South America. Normally they are encrypted, but you are right Lyngsat shows them ITC. Can´t test them here though.

The map you are showing is of Amazonas 2 which will also be aimed at NA on ku. Right now they are in testing mode and showing an encrypted mux. You can check their eirp maps at satstar dot com.

I think I understand better now. There are actually 2 satellites in the 61w area amazonas 1, and amazonas 2. which explains why I can get the channel that is on the 11810 transponder. I do appreciate all of the help, this has been a learning experience. Does the #2 satellite plan on adding more channels?

it doesnt matter what or how many satellites are there...its the footprint that matters

Some of the Atlantic satellites have footprints for both US and other parts of the world so you have to see what the footprint is. On Lyngsat the right hand column shows it. If you're outside the footprint you wont be able to pick it up

Thanks everybody for helping me learn more about how satellites work. I guess I just figured they just beamed their signal down to earth and didn't worry about wide the signal spreads... its too bad too cause me and the kids were really looking forward to the disney channel and a few cartoons.

Thanks everybody for helping me learn more about how satellites work. I guess I just figured they just beamed their signal down to earth and didn't worry about wide the signal spreads... its too bad too cause me and the kids were really looking forward to the disney channel and a few cartoons.

If that's the only receiver you have and the only dish then there's not a lot of satellites you can point your dish man (if you had a C band system and a DVB-S2 receiver i'd advise you to point it towards 125ºW C), altough 97ºW has a lot of channels (like 200 channels in the clear), even though there are a lot of foreign speaking channels, there are others with nice programming, like Kuwait2 (US & UK Shows and cartoons).

If you can get your hands on a prime focus dish (C-Band parabolic dish), at least 6 to 8 ft, then you could use your C/Ku LNB to get more satellites. 103ºW C has the ION channels, specifically one, Qubo, which has cartoons and shows for kids all day long. I'm not sure if your HotDish can be used to get it with the C/Ku LNBF.

Friends from other satellite forums have had success with a 1.2 meter dish receiving some satellites, but i'm not sure about 103ºW, but in general they've been able to get 91ºW C (3 CW channels, plus two fx, a bay area channel with major league baseball, and Univisión with nearly 95% of the World Cup matches), if you can get yourself one of those dishes (4ft offset dish) you could give it a try, in case you can put a bigger antenna in your property.

Cheers!

Mike

There is one transponder on Amazonas 2 that can be reached in the southern US. It is a loop tape of the launch of the sat. If you want you can use that transponder ( 11810H 27500)verify your reception.
The following are Brazilian sats that can be viewed from the US (southern/eastern south)
Amazonas 1 61W (C band only). All transponders not scrambled & with DVB-S2 capability
Telestar 14 63W ( Ku-only one transponders beamed to US SCETV feed)
Star One C1 65W (C band). All transponders not scrambled & with DVB-S2 capability

There is some C-Band stuff that can be reached in the US

Check thelist for the transponders. Those were received in Minnesota on my 6 footer :)

is it possible to receive any c-band on a hotdish with a c/ku lnbf? I tried to make it work by aiming my dish at a sat with my small ku lnb, locking the dish in place, then swapping the lnbf out for the big c/ku lnb...but i think it may be a focal point issue. I try sliding it closer and farther away from the dish, but no luck, oh well. The c/ku lnbf was cheap, and it was worth a shot.

I can pick the South American beam up since I live in the Caribbean. Lyngsat shows those channels als ITC bu that's not correct. They're all encrypted, save for two. Satbeams.com has the correct info on this bird.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)