This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

House is ran for only Cat5

betsig250

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Hello everyone..

I built my house last year and during the building I incorrectly listed the wrong address on the uVerse checker. So thinking I could get uVerse I just ran Cat5 to all of my rooms. Now I can't do any runs do to everything being boxed in.

My question is if i get Satellite can I have them run Coax from the Dish to my central location in the basement where all of my Cat5 terminate and use a adapter from the Coax to Cat5 and then another adapter in the room to convert back to Coax? I know for a fact I cannot get any runs as they will have to go thru 2 levels.

Thanks!

You should be able to use Cat5 to Coax baluns to yield the same result as long as each cat-5 cable is a 1:1 and is not split off anywhere else. I know we do this at work for video a lot over long distances using extron boxes. The only thing I am not sure about is the cable coming from the dish... you could probably convert it at the hub from coax to cat5 and use that to go up to the receiver.

All Cat5 are direct runs. So that won't be a problem. I am only thinking I will need to use one of the Cat5 runs upstairs as I will run Coax in my basement before I totally finish it off.