House prewired for cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lefatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Selbyville DE
My Homeowners Association dues include basic cable from Comcast. I see 2 inlets on the back of my receiver.If I run a coax cable from wall to one of those inlets and change input on my TV to TV,should I be able to get the cable and thus my Baltimore local channels ?

If you run it from the Comcast cable coming out of the wall to your TV you should be able to get the locals. You will not be able to run it to your Directv receiver to use it to get the locals though.

what kind of reciever are you using we need a little more info first off. you can acctualy use both.you can run satellite and cable thru one cable. All you have to do is diplex cable and satellite to run in the same cable. if you have a hd reciever its a little more complicated though and depends which hd reciever you have.

The 2 inlets on your hr20 are for the 2 seperate tuners on your dvr.
you cant split it. to run both of your tuners you would have to run a second line to one tuner.But you can diplex the one line to run cable and satellite.
but you would have to put the bbc before the diplexer coming into the house to get it to work properly. if you run the cable to the coax connection on your t.v. and the sattelite reciever to one of the inputs on your t.v. it will work just fine. Remember to diplex cable and satellite you need 2 diplexers one for the outside or attic where ever your cable feed comes from and one behind the t.v. to get it to work. just dont try and split the sat signal at all

Isn't it possible to split one cable when using the new SWM switch ? My condo will have MFH2 system installed and I was told one single cable for each HR22 will be fine. I am assuming this is not a regular splitter but something new that will work with Directv. Please tell me if this makes sense or not because there is no way I can run 2 cables per room in my condo.

With the SWM switch you can split using a standard splitter. However, the SWM switch will need power going to it so you will need a power passing splitter with the power inserter connected to the power passing side. However, can you insert a standard CATV signal through that splitter? I think the answer is no. Maybe someone can enlighten the answer to this as I have only been looking in to DirecTV equipment for a short while.

You can diplex cable signals into a D* line but you will have problems at some point. D* uses fom 250mhtz to 2150 mhtz and cable generally uses 3mhtz to 15 mhtz for internet (sometmes) and up to 950/1450 mhtz so as you can see from 250mhtz to 1450 mhtz you will get sfss or ghosting on cable.

I have SWM and OTA diplexed at the entry point into my home. Each room of my home is wired for DirecTV and OTA with one cable run to the wall jack. At the wall jack, I then diplex out the DirecTV and OTA signal. This is how I did it:

Entry Point
SWM ---> Power Inserter ---> Diplexer (OTA and DirecTV) ---> DirecTV approved power passing splitter ---> Each room

Each Room
Wall plate ---> Diplexer (Only needed if you want DirecTV and OTA both. Not needed if you just want one or the other) ---> Receiver/Converter Box/TV

OTA uses much lower frequencies than even Basic Cable does. If you have a D10/D11/D12 you may be able to plug the cable into the Antenna In and use it as a pass through.. ie turn D* off and cable comes in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)