Houston Chronicle story on the Dodgers current situation

Will94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
USA
I knew about the messy divorce, but I hadn't paid close attention to the situation. There is a lot in here I didn't know about.

Ultimate Astros » Dodger Blues: McCourt is bleeding money, tarnishing franchise’s image
Court documents reveal that the McCourts have funneled Dodgers revenue into a lifestyle of the rich and shameless. In one court filing, Jamie McCourt reports she and her husband jointly pocketed $108 million from 2004 though 2009 and paid no federal or state income tax.

Monthly extravagance

Among Jamie McCourt’s listed $988,845 in monthly expenses were $538,029 for 10 different residences; $33,756 for support of their adult sons; and $55,782 for personal expenses that included a hair stylist, hair coloring, facials, appointments with a skin doctor, manicures, pedicures, a make-up artist and designer clothing.
Oh, and I love this quote from Phil Garner near the end of the story.
"The minute the thing turns at all, people will come back to the ballpark. Now, they’ll still only come out and watch six innings and leave in the seventh … that’s the L.A. thing.”
:popcorn

I guess this doesn't bode well for the long-term ability of McCourt to hold control:

Since McCourt has been unable to secure traditional loans to fund the cash-strapped Dodgers, front office executives in charge of revenue were charged with finding more creative ways to help float the troubled franchise for two more weeks.

Current team sponsors were contacted and offered discounts on their annual bills and luxury box stadium seats in exchange for cash up front, according to two sources. It is not known which sponsors took the offer, or the depth of discount they were given.

McCourt is still searching for the funding to make the team's next payroll on June 15, according to two people with knowledge of the Dodgers finances who were not authorized to speak publicly. Should the beleaguered owner fail to make payroll, Major League Baseball would cover it for him and likely formally seize the team.

Sources: Frank McCourt meets Los Angeles Dodgers payroll - ESPN Los Angeles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts