How 3D content works: Blu-ray vs. broadcast

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
How_3D_Content_Works.jpg

As 3D content becomes ever more available, the differences in how it works become important. Just like all HD isn't the same, all 3D isn't the same either.

More than a simple "how it works," this guide will help you understand why some 3D looks better than others.

How 3D works

As I'm sure you've already read, 3D TVs work by sending each eye a slightly different image. The latest generation of TVs and 3D Blu-ray players can create a fake a 3D image from a 2D source, but the most "realistic" 3D comes from original 3D content. This means shows/movies that were shot in 3D originally, and transmitted in a 3D format.

Cnet

Jason- Thanks for that article. It answers one question I had about Passive and my suspicions were true. SBS Half combined with Passive display = barely better than VHS quality with HDTV starting point. That's not good. But the quality I see with LG Passive is very inviting.

I'm currently trying to decide on a small screen panel for my editing and Passive, is inviting because of the less eye fatigue. But I may not like what I see in resolution. I am also looking into one of the converter technologies as for small monitors this may be the way to go.

I'm still a little confused with the explanation. I understand if it was shot in true 3D vs the others that is obviously better. Are you saying broadcast 3D is shown in true 3D vs bluray movies are not?

I'm still a little confused with the explanation. I understand if it was shot in true 3D vs the others that is obviously better. Are you saying broadcast 3D is shown in true 3D vs bluray movies are not?

Nope. Blu-ray 3d (at least those so labeled) are in True 3d. Effectively two full frames 1080x1920 one for each eye. The broadcast tv is either side by side or top bottom within a regular frame. Most normal broadcast is 1080x960 sbs for each eye, or 360x1280 top/bottom per eye. Directv is suppose to be using a optional (i.e not all 3d Tv's support it) 720x640 sbs for each eye.

So effectively broadcast 3d is half the resolution of blu-ray 3d and also at a lower bit-rate as well. Many of the new 3d TV's do a fairly good job of estimating the mixing horizontal or vertical pixels so the broadcast image can be acceptable, but is no where as good as the Blu-ray.

Source material that was originally in 3d (or animated rendered originally as 3d) will look better for either case. If the material was original 2d and converted to 3d later, the results are mixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)