How about that Wii Fit?

Stacy A

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 15, 2003
northeast Texas
I have to laugh. I got our wii fit game on friday afternoon. After getting it set up and doing just the body test and a simple yoga breathing exercise I turned it off. The wife and kids are in Arkansas for the weekend, so I didn't get it back out until this afternoon. I tried the pushups, and the machine called me a couch potato. :D
I was dying and the trainer then told me "it looks like you're not strong enough to do this exercise yet." All I could do was lay on the floor and laugh. I think the family is going to enjoy this one. Normally all we do all summer is lay at the pool all day, so I bought this thing for us to get some actual calorie burning this summer. We are going to have a blast hearing what slugs we are. :p

My wife and I are both enjoying it. It told us we were both overweight, but not by much. The charting system is really cool and could be a good tool to help you track your weight just in general, even if you don't do the exercises.

I can make it through the 6 rep level of pushups, but after doing it two days in a row, my arms were pretty sore. After day two, we were also both complaining about sore legs. The lunges are especially tough.

My wife is in better shape than I am and is a lot better at the yoga because of it. The aerobics stuff is pretty cool to.

I think the games are pretty cool. They're challenging and you can see where the board may lend itself to some cool games in the future that aren't just fitness based.

I'm going to try and hit it at least every other day. We'll see how it goes.

I just got done with a 50 min (timed by the Wii) of strength training with a 10 minute free steps. (fast pace, with the wii balance board on a 10 inch stair stepper. Let me tell you something, the excercises start out easy...but can work you out once you get past the first few training sessions! The boxing is awsome, and a great workout also! I am going to start the running tomorrow!

More power to you my friend. My wife and kids got back yesterday evening and we all got to experience some of it. My wife was complaining that it was too easy. I knew that as you spent more time on it, it unlocked more reps and increased speed for some trainings. I'm still sore, but I have actually lost 3 lbs since friday afternoon. My kids loved it and can't wait to work out more on this thing.

This thing cant be right , I work out doing light weights every other day and I tread mill evry day for 30 minutes and bike for 30 minutes and I do physical labor, I weight 205 and it says my idea body weight is 166lbs . I think I was 166 in the 11th grade , also I am 40 and it say my age is 57 ,lol. Forgot to add my height is 6'1

This thing cant be right , I work out doing light weights every other day and I tread mill evry day for 30 minutes and bike for 30 minutes and I do physical labor, I weight 205 and it says my idea body weight is 166lbs . I think I was 166 in the 11th grade , also I am 40 and it say my age is 57 ,lol. Forgot to add my height is 6'1
If you're doing that sort of stuff, why bother using Wii Fit? Sounds like a good regiment is in place already.

I'm thinking the Japanese see ideal BMI/weight as a little less than what we do/would. I'm 5'10" and weigh 175 and while I'm a little pudgy around the middle, Wii Fit thinks that I need to weigh 160. If I lost another 15 pounds I'd look sick.

I agree that it is off in respect to ideal weight, but the charts that the medical profession uses to determine ideal weight for people is off as well. My wife felt the wii was inaccurate as to her weight (one guess which direction), but it was spot on for me. I weigh 197 lbs. and am a little thick around the middle. The charts say I should weigh 165, but 170-75 is more my ideal weight. I just think that the charting of the thing is a great tool, doing a body test every couple of days to see if I'm on track. I hope the novelty factor doesn't wear off any too quick.

We've had the wii fit running for a total of 6 hours over the last two days, with each kid and me getting 20-30 minutes of a pretty good little workout. I did strength training yesterday afternoon and some running. Today I'll do yoga and some running and hula hoops, with a few balance things thrown in.

Gosh darn you guys got it--I want it and I can not find the WII to buy let alone getting the WIIFIT which no retailer in San Francisco has in stock.

Maybe you are building muscle and getting better scores on the exercises, but the wieght is not coming off, yet. That may be why the fit age is coming down, but the BMI is staying the same slightly going up.

I'd believe that if I'd done anything more than 45 min of wiifit exercises. Imo its putting too much value in being good at games/having good balance or something.

Can't wait to see how low I can get it.

I love it. Tonights the first night since we got it that I haven't worked out about 30 minutes or more on it and that's because we walked the dog tonight instead.

I just unlocked snowboarding last night. That is way harder than slalom because you are pushing your weight forward and backwards instead of left and right so you are putting a lot more weight on your toes than you are probably used to. The bubble river game does the same thing sort of since you have to constantly lean forward to make the bubble move. I unlocked the advanced marble balance game the other night with 1 second to spare. That was tough. The advanced level is pretty darn hard. I haven't figured out the ski jump yet. I can jump but haven't figured out how you get longer distance. Are you supposed to keep your balance in the center after you stand up or shift forward or back? I got around 100 m on the first try but that was beginners luck and haven't gone much over 50 since then.... I really love the aerobic boxing that I unlocked about half a week ago. That's a heck of a workout. You have to use both your feet and your nunchuck. Hopefully you bought the nunchuck already, if not you better go and buy wii play. Wii play is a wii remote + 10 bucks for some more games. The wii play games are cheesy like air hockey, duck hunt, and billiards, but it's nice to have them as another option for gaming, especially if you don't really own a billiards table and have your wii set up in the basement like I do. I had a friend down from out of state last weekend since he had to go to his brother's wedding. We were down there one night doing nothing but wii play games. The billiards and duck hunt are about the funnest wii play. Wii sports boxing is still probably the highest calorie burner, especially if you get to the pro level (1000 + points) since the other guys block a lot more, but this wii fit boxing may come close if not exceed it, especially the advanced level since you got to know how to move feet before it'll register any punches... and feet moves are almost like a dance.... and you have to learn to dodge too in some of it -- real tough.

Oh yeah, you hear all this junk in the news about how it calls people fat... it does that, but it's more sassy than that. When that friend was over for the weekend, we were up til about 3 or 4 am some nights (he was over from Wednesday - Sunday) because he usually works nights, and is from the west coast, so he was never ready to be sleepy for bed til around then... The wii fit thing kept telling me stuff like "shouldn't you be asleep," "lack of sleep is bad for you," and "zzz.. Oh I'm awake, but you should make sure to get your sleep."...

Ha. I did a body test yesterday afternoon and its down from 48 to 30 (I am age 43, at least until June 21). But, my BMI climbed a little, it was showing I gained 2.3 lbs. since day before yesterday.

Mastermesh, you must be a workaholic. I unlocked step boxing yesterday and tried it and was completely baffled for the first couple of minutes, then I realized I was supposed to be stepping off the balance board to punch. Did better after that, but I guess my coordination is pretty sorry. I nearly killed myself in the super hoola hoop though. I don't know if I'll ever be good enough to unlock the advanced marble balance game.

I'm really enjoying WiiFit! I play in an adult Soccer League and I really think that WiiFit is going to be the perfect way to supplement my other workouts. So far I'm doing Yoga & Balance everyday, then I'm alternating the strength and aerobics every other day.

It's tough to stop playing, though, as some of the things are really enjoyable. I did feel as though it was disappointed in me for gaining 1.1 lbs. over Memorial Day weekend, but I admitted that it was due to eating too much (stupid picnics). Good luck to everyone in meeting whatever goals you've set!

We love it. I really don't put a lot of stock in what it says you weigh, lost 11 lbs overnight!!! (HA)

It's hilarious to watch people in their 40's or 50's trying to keep the hula hoop going!

My wife wrote up an article for her website talking about how it made my mii chunky:

Not So Fit*-*oneforthetable.com

We love the thing.

I like the first line of her article, "My husband Dave is a high-tech whore."

My gf could say the same thing about me. Maybe "call-girl" would be more appropriate for me. As long as "high-tech" is not removed in either case. ;p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts