How are DVB-S2 feeds found?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Currently the only way to find DVB-S2 signals is to use a spectrum analyzer, receiver with baseband out, and a shortwave radio to "tune" the symbol rate.

Currently the only way to find DVB-S2 signals is to use a spectrum analyzer, receiver with baseband out, and a shortwave radio to "tune" the symbol rate.
That's far away from blind scan. :)

Those 'FTAers' with COOLsat/VISIONsat/etc become too spoiled and can't handle old fashion way of sat dx-ing.

Those 'FTAers' with COOLsat/VISIONsat/etc become too spoiled and can't handle old fashion way of sat dx-ing.

But can identify all signals on H or V in a split second, just Symbol Rate takes a little longer, but S2 uses similar ones that you will eventually identify.

So basically, the average Joe with no spectrum analyzer is going to rely on the information being passed on? I guess finding sporting events on DVB-S2 will be out of the question for now!

so? I guess I'd like to hit "search" and find all the sports feeds in less than 5 minutes on a sat instead of dicking around trying to figure out symbol rates/frequencies/etc :)

Why cant we ask pansat to write the software to do DVBs2 blindscan. The equipment is there for those who have it. Is there a possablity the box can do it by switching tuners?

blindscan is a feature of hardware not software. the tuner would have to support blindscan. in the future I would assume that blindscan would be supported, there really is no technical reason why it couldnt be added. Our shortwave method works just fine on it, so youd think the manufacturers blindscan method would also work fine.

Why cant we ask pansat to write the software to do DVBs2 blindscan. The equipment is there for those who have it. Is there a possablity the box can do it by switching tuners?

Here is a reply I received from Pansat about a month ago on that question.

To Pansat Tech Dept:
Do you expect to have the smartsearch feature working with DVB-S2 with a future
upgrade or are you planning the release of a newer model with S2 smartsearch?

Dear customer,
The application is totally different with the DVB-S2. The chip is different,
therefore, it does not have that function.

Best regards,
Tech

To Pansat Tech:
OK That's too bad. Maybe on a newer model then?

Hi,
Yes we will wait until the tuner maker to put smart search chip in the next 8PSK tuner model.

Regards,
Tech

To identify just the freq wouldn't be to hard in software using the signal strength. Finding the sr is the hard part, software would jist have to guess, the guess can be narrowed based on the width of the tp but this only works on sats that are no congested with cross talk on other sats

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)