How are the D* HD Receivers with OTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vampz26

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
Chicago
Usually my brother, a D* sub, is my source of information for all things D* related, but wouldn't you know it...he's currently not bothering with OTA and really does not know or care to hook it up. Figures... ;)

Anyway, regardless of my brothers position on OTA, I'm just the opposite and OTA is very important to me. So before I 'take the plunge' this summer and switch providers (by then I'll have a pretty good idea whether or not its worth it, and thanks to summer reruns I won't miss anything by switching DVRs), I just want to have an idea of how well the current line of D* hardware handles the set-up, the reception, and the recording of OTA digital channels.

Thanks...

What??? Your switching to D*?? WOW? How Come?

I've been thinking about it for a while...ever since Dish dropped Voom. The only real reason I'm withDish at the moment is the DVR hardware, and the HBO suite of channels in HD, and TravelHD. I've not liked the channel guide for quite some time and even when they add channels, the layout is so messed up, you don't even know where to find them. Paging through Big-10 Alt channels to see Encore HD and paging through PPV just to get to MGM-HD and SmithHD is getting tiring. And now that the 129 satellite is acting up, my ViP622 reciever is requiring more reboots than normal, and I'm about a year out of my commitment period, why not evaluate other options?

The big thing for me...looking forward, is that I fear E* has damaged relationships with content providers Fox and Rainbow to the point where I doubt we are going to see any of their HD channel offerings on E* any time soon. Same goes for MLB-HD. I'm not sure if D*'s relationship with content providers is any better, but I honestly don't see them being any worse...

I've given myself a few monthes here to evaluate a decision...I figure by then I'll have gotten enough answers to know if its worth it or not...

D* is Good. I give them alot crap ,But over all their Customer service is fantastic. I just have a problem with their equipment and Premiums channels. But they have a nice HD line up. Just stay away from the R 16 SD DVR. and any H 20.
But the Good news for E* customers is the 129 will be brand new shortly. Finally!!

D* is Good. I give them alot crap ,But over all their Customer service is fantastic. I just have a problem with their equipment and Premiums channels. But they have a nice HD line up. Just stay away from the R 16 SD DVR. and any H 20.
But the Good news for E* customers is the 129 will be brand new shortly. Finally!!

Hemi,
Whats wrong with your H20 ?
I have had a H20-100 for years now and have never even once had any issues ....
The -600 was being recalled at one time, but the -100 has been a rock !

Jimbo

Usually my brother, a D* sub, is my source of information for all things D* related, but wouldn't you know it...he's currently not bothering with OTA and really does not know or care to hook it up. Figures... ;)

Anyway, regardless of my brothers position on OTA, I'm just the opposite and OTA is very important to me. So before I 'take the plunge' this summer and switch providers (by then I'll have a pretty good idea whether or not its worth it, and thanks to summer reruns I won't miss anything by switching DVRs), I just want to have an idea of how well the current line of D* hardware handles the set-up, the reception, and the recording of OTA digital channels.

Thanks...
OTA is available in the HD 20 series receivers, HR20 (the DVR...hence the 'R') or the H20 (non DVR). The other HR's, the HR21, HR22, and I believe the HR23 (???) allow an external OTA tuner. This can only currently be used in the DVRs.

As far as response goes, from what I hear, the external OTA tuner is slower than a model which has an internal one.

My experience with the receivers is that the the DVRs are usually a little slower than the non DVRs, not by much. Guide responses and remote response is quick. The only slow thing is how long it takes the pucture to appear when you change a channel directly. The info bar/banner comes up instantly. There is just a second or 2 delay before the program appears. This is not an issue with any SD or non DVR reciever I have owned though.

OTA is available in the HD 20 series receivers, HR20 (the DVR...hence the 'R') or the H20 (non DVR). The other HR's, the HR21, HR22, and I believe the HR23 (???) allow an external OTA tuner. This can only currently be used in the DVRs.

When the AM21 is connected to a HR21/22/23 it makes those boxes interface look just like a HR20. The EPG includes all your ATSC channels, including the subchannels which allows for name based and series link recordings. As for reception issues as usual YMMV, same say it's great, other say it stinks. I'm about 15 miles from antenna farm and with an attic antenna get 95%->100% on all ATSC channels that I should receive.

There is a rumor that DirecTV will add AM21 support to the H21/23 receivers, but no official annoucement of that capability has been made yet.

Someone on one of these sites posted a video of them changing channels and navigating through the menus and settings on their HR. I cannot remember which site or thread it was posted. If I can find it I will provide you the link. The video does give you a good look at how fast everything response and how to navigate through certain things.

When the AM21 is connected to a HR21/22/23 it makes those boxes interface look just like a HR20. The EPG includes all your ATSC channels, including the subchannels which allows for name based and series link recordings. As for reception issues as usual YMMV, same say it's great, other say it stinks. I'm about 15 miles from antenna farm and with an attic antenna get 95%->100% on all ATSC channels that I should receive.

There is a rumor that DirecTV will add AM21 support to the H21/23 receivers, but no official annoucement of that capability has been made yet.
So it does work with the HR23 as well. Cool to know.

I have the HR20-100 and I have never had an issue with it either.
I never had a Problem with my HR20-700. Except it was slow and Buggy. By buggy , the random reboots and the audio problems that plaged it. Not to mention the freeze that would occur if you were to quick with the buttons. But I'm sure now its Flawless:rolleyes: Too bad new customers can't get one. And the H 20 -600 were junk. Flat out Garbage. There is a reason D* recalled them. Not because they work good.;)
R 16-300 is just like the HR20-700 when it first came out. Totally lost on commands.

I never had a Problem with my HR20-700. Except it was slow and Buggy. By buggy , the random reboots and the audio problems that plaged it. Not to mention the freeze that would occur if you were to quick with the buttons. But I'm sure now its Flawless:rolleyes: Too bad new customers can't get one. And the H 20 -600 were junk. Flat out Garbage. There is a reason D* recalled them. Not because they work good.;)
R 16-300 is just like the HR20-700 when it first came out. Totally lost on commands.

I think the recall on the -600's were related to overheating, getting warmer than they should.

I think the recall on the -600's were related to overheating, getting warmer than they should.
I wouldn't doubt it those things got really HOT. But they had massive reboots. My guess caused by heat maybe. I've never been lucky enough to get a 100 series. except a D10-100:) That worked good.

/So...let me get this straight...the HR20 supports OTA out of the box, but the HR21/22/23 do not. However, the AM21 is an external unit that will provide OTA capabilities for the HR21/22/23 DVRs...

(this explains why my bro had no clue what I was talking about.)

Is that about right?

Also, how does one get the AM21? I may be able to help my bro out here... ;)

Here's my post that DodgerKing was referring to for a video of my HR20-700 in action.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1638355-post92.html

As far as the H20-600 goes, I had one for about 2 years without any trouble, no overheating or otherwise. Now I may not have had the same over heating trouble others did because my H20-600 wasn't in a cabinet. It was in open space where it had plenty of room for the heat to dissipate. But I'm not going to say the boxes were perfect just because I didn't have trouble because I did read about a lot of problems that people did have.

Anyway the H20-600 had the best OTA tuner in any of the D* boxes I've ever had. Which also may have led to the over heating because it had an OTA tuner chip that none of the other D* boxes had. I've heard that the OTA tuner in the H20-100 isn't as good as the one in the H20-600.

I have the AM21 add on for my HR22 box and it is better than the OTA tuner that's in my HR20-700. However, neither is as good as the H20-600 was.

/So...let me get this straight...the HR20 supports OTA out of the box, but the HR21/22/23 do not. However, the AM21 is an external unit that will provide OTA capabilities for the HR21/22/23 DVRs...

(this explains why my bro had no clue what I was talking about.)

Is that about right?

Also, how does one get the AM21? I may be able to help my bro out here... ;)

That's all correct. As far as getting the AM21, you may be able to get one from D* at their website or from a D* CSR. If not you can find them online at other sites. D* wouldn't sell me one so I went to Amazon.com

Here's an Amazon link for the AM21.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-ATSC-TUNER-WORKS-HR21/dp/B001F5889E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232243486&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: DIRECTV ATSC TUNER WORKS WITH HR21 ONLY (Am21): Electronics[/ame]

Ignore where it says HR21 only. It works with all HR2x boxes except the HR20 for obvious reasons.

Or order it directly from the DirecTV web site for $50 + $5 for 2nd day shipping. However the account must show a HR21/22/23 as an active receiver for the AM21 to show up for ordering.

Or order it directly from the DirecTV web site for $50 + $5 for 2nd day shipping. However the account must show a HR21/22/23 as an active receiver for the AM21 to show up for ordering.

As I've said here before, that doesn't always work. I have a HR22 on my account and neither D*'s online site or the CSR would sell me a AM21.

BTW vampz, come join us on the dark side.

weenpalp.gif

:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)