How bad is the DVR

really ?
you have no premium services ? just SD ?
no cable boxes ?

have 4 DTV dvrs cost $28= $ 10 dvr services + 3x $6 for the extra dvrs no cost for the 1
That's some nice grandfathered pricing you've got there. I used to have the same, years ago. But you don't have MRV ($3) like I did, or HD apparently ($10), bringing it up to $41. Free HD on DirecTV is hard to get these days. I must call and argue/threaten/beg every 6 months or so to keep free HD on my parent's account. New subs can't get your deal at all anymore. With DTV, it's a $25 advanced receiver fee for the first DVR plus $6 each additional for a grand total of $43. New subs might get a $10/month discount the first year. My cable company charges $20 DVR service plus $5 for every room for a grand total of $40. Dish's cost is similar for a couple of Hoppers and Joeys, but HD is free, with no hassles, so they're the cheapest of all.

My package is about equivalent to DTV Xtra. I have 120 something HD channels. I don't watch SD. I don't have HBO, SHO, etc. I could add them for around $20. Sports package prices are similar to satellite. Either my cable company has no HD fee or they have included it in the package price. I have no cable boxes because I supply my own: One HTPC with a 4 tuner Ceton card plus 3 Ceton Echos on my other TVs. That's about equivalent to a Genie plus 3 C31's.

So I have more HD than I ever had with satellite, whole home DVR functionality, and am indeed saving about $40 in fees. I had DirecTV for many years, Dish for a few and cable before that. I really liked satellite, and if price was not a concern, I'd still have it. But the cost savings from using my own hardware is just to great to ignore.

My parents had the U-verse dvr and although it was alright I think compared to the hopper it's not all that worthwhile. I do think it has a clean interface though.

That's some nice grandfathered pricing you've got there. I used to have the same, years ago. But you don't have MRV ($3) like I did, or HD apparently ($10), bringing it up to $41. Free HD on DirecTV is hard to get these days. I must call and argue/threaten/beg every 6 months or so to keep free HD on my parent's account. New subs can't get your deal at all anymore. With DTV, it's a $25 advanced receiver fee for the first DVR plus $6 each additional for a grand total of $43. New subs might get a $10/month discount the first year. My cable company charges $20 DVR service plus $5 for every room for a grand total of $40. Dish's cost is similar for a couple of Hoppers and Joeys, but HD is free, with no hassles, so they're the cheapest of all.

All you have to do to get the $10 off with Directv is have auto bill pay. Not hard to get at all, and the term is for 24 months, which at the end, it is pretty easy to get that back and more as you are out of contract.

Not easy for me. I've had auto bill pay for years, yet my 24 month free HD drops off every few months by "mistake". I have to watch them like a hawk. It takes an act of congress every time I call to get it back. I'm glad it's effortless for some, but I have yet to find an easy way to keep it.

I would escalate that issue far up past front line CSR help, as it should not be a difficult ordeal.

But the cost savings from using my own hardware is just to great to ignore.
thats a cool step up. i'm kinda dumb about cable have not had it in over 20 years duh
did not know you could use those cards and all

My cable company charges $20 DVR service plus $5 for every room for a grand total of $40.
confused........... how is it they charge you these fees if you have your equipment ?

That's some nice grandfathered pricing you've got there. I used to have the same, years ago. But you don't have MRV ($3) like I did, or HD apparently ($10), bringing it up to $41. Free HD on DirecTV is hard to get these days. I must call and argue/threaten/beg every 6 months or so to keep free HD on my parent's account.
DTV does take care of me well 16+ years with them. get free HD for auto pay. and other discounts i won't post about. free NFL ST or NBA. NHL <$100 if i want it. don't mind calling them lol $100 + <30 min..... would stay on the phone with them daily if they paid cash.

But you don't have MRV ($3) like I did, .
what is MVR ?
thanks

confused........... how is it they charge you these fees if you have your equipment ?
That's a for instance to show the 4 room DVR cost among the different providers. If I used their equipment, that would be the cost. But I don't, so I pay nothing.

I had DirecTV several years too, on and off. While they gave me some nice deals at times, I could never get that steady $40 savings I have now. I couldn't care less about the sports packages, so that was never a freebie I was interested in. I just want to keep my bill under $80 or so, which is impossible with any provider these days unless you bring your own equipment or give up a lot, way more than I'm willing to give up. My parents have cut their service to the bone and are still pushing close $100/month. It's just too expensive for what you get. I wish I could set them up with an HTPC like mine, but if anything goes wrong, I couldn't fix it from where I am. So they are stuck.

As for MRV, if you don't have it, you should. It's very convenient to be able to access all your recordings from anywhere.

That's a for instance to show the 4 room DVR cost among the different providers. If I used their equipment, that would be the cost. But I don't, so I pay nothing.
i see. good to know all that thanks
As for MRV, if you don't have it, you should. It's very convenient to be able to access all your recordings from anywhere.
have had my house wired with modulators for years with RF remotes and only have crt's in those rooms watch little outside the man cave that 73'''TV spoils me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)