How Big Are These LIL Spot Beams?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
I was just day dreaming and thinking how I miss my local channels from my home town of Philadelphia. I looked to see which spot beam the HD locals there are and if I'm reading it correctly, they are on sat 103 (s), transponder 15. According to my receiver, I have a signal of 68 on that spot beam from all the way out here in Columbus, Ohio. Is that really possible? Am I missing something? Could I really "move" to Philadelphia and get my old locals back? I would think that I'm way too far away.

It is possible, but it could just be another beam that is closer to you. You can try to disect the locals tables and figure out what other markets could be on that beam, to try and identify that.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...ectv-full-transponder-maps-data-2-1-09-a.html

As an example, I live about 30 miles east of Lansing MI. I get around a 50 on the Chicago spotbeam. I have though of "moving" to Chicago, but 50 isn't strong enough for consistency. A 68 like you are getting would probably be good except in bad weather.

I was just day dreaming and thinking how I miss my local channels from my home town of Philadelphia. I looked to see which spot beam the HD locals there are and if I'm reading it correctly, they are on sat 103 (s), transponder 15. According to my receiver, I have a signal of 68 on that spot beam from all the way out here in Columbus, Ohio. Is that really possible? Am I missing something? Could I really "move" to Philadelphia and get my old locals back? I would think that I'm way too far away.
Each lil spot beam is different. On the West coast where large cities are more geographically spread out, as are the local markets, spot beam are much larger. I can take my receiver to Mammoth Lakes, over 300 miles away, and still be in the LA spot beam (Reno spot beam overlaps that areas as well).

Keep in mind that just because you get a signal on a transponder that lists a certain locals, doesn't mean that particular spot has those locals. Now, being in Ohio if you are picking up the TP that has Philly then you are probably on the Philly spot. However, the entire point is that those TP frequencies are re-used, so if you were picking up Philly TPs in, say, California, you'd need to find out what other locals used that particular TP frequency. Probably a good idea to do that for locals near Ohio just to make sure.

It is possible, but it could just be another beam that is closer to you. You can try to disect the locals tables and figure out what other markets could be on that beam, to try and identify that.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...ectv-full-transponder-maps-data-2-1-09-a.html

As an example, I live about 30 miles east of Lansing MI. I get around a 50 on the Chicago spotbeam. I have though of "moving" to Chicago, but 50 isn't strong enough for consistency. A 68 like you are getting would probably be good except in bad weather.

*sigh* Thanks for the advice. After going through those tables, there are a TON of LIL's that use that transponder. Those would include Waco, St. Louis, Oakland, San Francisco, Phoenix, Paducah (just 1 local), Orlando, Ft. Myers, Baltimore, Boise, Boston, Denver, Knoxville, and Detroit. I stopped at Detroit because I'm guessing that's probably the spot that my receiver is detecting since it's not terribly far away. Oh well, I thought it was probably too good to be true!

*sigh* Thanks for the advice. After going through those tables, there are a TON of LIL's that use that transponder. Those would include Waco, St. Louis, Oakland, San Francisco, Phoenix, Paducah (just 1 local), Orlando, Ft. Myers, Baltimore, Boise, Boston, Denver, Knoxville, and Detroit. I stopped at Detroit because I'm guessing that's probably the spot that my receiver is detecting since it's not terribly far away. Oh well, I thought it was probably too good to be true!
Well there IS a way to find out. I'm not saying it's easy but there is a way. If you have a friend in Philly (a really good friend) that has D*, ask them to UPS one rec'vr to you for a day or two. I know this may be difficult for some folks but I have a D11 in the guest room that gets used about 10 times a year. Hook that puppy up and see what you get. Again, it'd have to be a good friend/family member but it sounds like it'd be worth it to you. HTH:cool:

The UPS the receiver idea is tought but would work, except make sure it is an HD reciever, not a D11.

It may be easier to actaully do the "move" and move back later if it fails.

Reading the spotbeam channel lists and figuring out what is closest to you is probably the best way to estimate what you can get.

Well there IS a way to find out. I'm not saying it's easy but there is a way. If you have a friend in Philly (a really good friend) that has D*, ask them to UPS one rec'vr to you for a day or two. I know this may be difficult for some folks but I have a D11 in the guest room that gets used about 10 times a year. Hook that puppy up and see what you get. Again, it'd have to be a good friend/family member but it sounds like it'd be worth it to you. HTH:cool:

Unfortunately my friends and family subscribe to either Comcast cable, or Verizion FiOS because of Comcast Sportsnet. The only way to see Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies games in Philadelphia is through Comcast sportsnet which is NOT available on Directv, so all of the games would be blacked out. I truly hate Comcast!

Unfortunately my friends and family subscribe to either Comcast cable, or Verizion FiOS because of Comcast Sportsnet. The only way to see Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies games in Philadelphia is through Comcast sportsnet which is NOT available on Directv, so all of the games would be blacked out. I truly hate Comcast!

Since you're obviously not in Philly, you would get the Phils and Sixers on MLB and NBA subscriptions. Have you considered that?:cool:

Since you're obviously not in Philly, you would get the Phils and Sixers on MLB and NBA subscriptions. Have you considered that?:cool:

So I live along the coast in NJ and still recieved Philly and NY channels via Comcast. Now that I have DirecTV I get blacked out messages when a sixers game is on NBA TV and when Flyers games are on NHL Network. I guess because I'm in their coverage radius.

I bought the Baseball package, so will I get Phillies games? I'm not a fan of them but I wouldn't find it cool to pay for the package and get the blacked out message.

You would think with all the technology there is today that they would not have to spot beam locals. They should let you buy any local area you want. Of course, you would have to pay for it, but D* could split the money between your home area, the out of area local and themselves. I think this would take a change in FCC regs, but it should be done. It should be about the consumer.

You should also be able to purchase the network feeds for an additional fee. The fee could be sent directly back to your home area.

I live in between Jeff City and Columbia Missouri. I would love to have the Indy locals (we have been relocated). I have tried the 'move' thing when I still owned a house in both areas, but it did not work.

You would think with all the technology there is today that they would not have to spot beam locals. They should let you buy any local area you want. Of course, you would have to pay for it, but D* could split the money between your home area, the out of area local and themselves. I think this would take a change in FCC regs, but it should be done. It should be about the consumer.

You should also be able to purchase the network feeds for an additional fee. The fee could be sent directly back to your home area.

I live in between Jeff City and Columbia Missouri. I would love to have the Indy locals (we have been relocated). I have tried the 'move' thing when I still owned a house in both areas, but it did not work.

You are a pretty funny guy! ;) You think it has anything to do with the consumer! Ha! It is about money, money, and more money, and not for us, that's for sure!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)