How Blu-ray might overcome DVD

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
This is a thread for us to come up with and share ideas about how Blu-ray (movie & data discs) might come out with "features" or take certain actions to increase it's market share vis-a-vis standard DVDs.

The idea is to keep this in the Blu-ray Forum. Please do not use this as an opportunity to oppose the idea or sneer at Blu-ray in any manner, thus dragging it into the War Zone. This isn't a thread for slamming HD DVD or even DVD, or to provide yet another venue for Blu-ray bashing. There's plenty of opportunity for that elsewhere.

I request the mods delete inappropriate posts, rather than move this to the War Zone.

That said:

I suggest the most obvious thing that would promote Blu-ray is to release only on Blu-ray. But that's a long way off. Some of these ideas may be possible in the near term, some may be years off. Some may never appear, or have little effect, or appeal only to small numbers. But let's brainstorm and come up with all kinds of possibilities.

1. Release only on Blu-ray.
2. Release on Blu-ray some period of time before releasing it on DVD.
3. Release on Blu-ray the same day it appears in theaters.
4. Provide the Director's cut and other expanded versions only on BD.
5. Provide unrated versions only on BD.
6. Include a calibration feature in future players, to where you could tweak the BD player's settings for best output.
7. Include some sort of IM/VM system so that people watching in multiple locations can communicate with one another.
8. Include an online ability to research something (presumably connected with the movie), perhaps so far as a built in browser improved over the PS3's.
9. Push the format for technical training. This could reduce the number of disks required for a training program while simultaneously including more reference material and advanced features.
10. Publish technical data. Again, reduced media count with added features. e.g.- jet engine maintenance/parts data.
11. More interactive features, surpassing HDi - shopping for items seen in the movie with a click, etc.
12. Improved support for lossless audio formats, such as giving the option to decode onboard or pass.
13. 3D, with or without glasses. This might require the 100GB disks.
14. Imbed signals for accessories such as rumble seats (I think this has begun).
15. Include features not available on standard DVD- lot's of extras.
16. Include BD exclusive preview versions of coming attractions.
17. Release kiddie cartoons where parents get to set it up to use their kids' and friends' names for the characters.
18. Use it as a media for programming or operating machines such as complex assembly line robots.
19. Multiple bookmarking- several people can each place several bookmarks in several different movies.
20. Simple basic email. This feature and web surfing will meet many people's entire needs for a computer.

Surely there are many more good ideas out there. Let's hear them.

I think 2, 4 and 5 are right on the money.

Allegedly(insider comment), taking on DVD has been considered and they are weighing ideas. Considering the Studios release on both, I'm sure they have a way of moving it in the direction they want.

Ill be curious to see how they proceed.

If they choose number 1, they have to be willing to take the initial hit. If they wait till players are $199, then pull the trigger it could work well. People will be pissed though.

I think #3 is a long shot, I don't know if we'll see releases on the day. It basically kills the theater and that's still a large source of money.

Theater owners would not stand for day/date release with theaters. But, I do see them starting to make releases earlier on BD eventually. Then I can see special features on BD not on the the DVD.

Until BR takes up more of the movie purchase market, I don't see studios offering special features or uncut versions only on BR. From a marketing standpoint, you don't want to ignore the majority of your customers (SD DVD buyers). And, you are also marketing against other studios in the SD DVD market. I don't see studios giving up this edge.

Until BR takes up more of the movie purchase market, I don't see studios offering special features or uncut versions only on BR. From a marketing standpoint, you don't want to ignore the majority of your customers (SD DVD buyers). And, you are also marketing against other studios in the SD DVD market. I don't see studios giving up this edge.

At some point, all BD studios will agree on the best course of action and implement it. Some people will be pissed, but some wont. They may never change a beat and just see what happens.

I think their goal wont be known for awhile. This could be to keep us happy until downloads are ready.

Its like the Best Buy rumor. If they decide to give HDDVD the ax, some will be pissed and some wont. They are going to do what THEY think is BEST for them in the long run, regardless of what WE WANT.

WE don't make the final decision, THEY do.

At some point, all BD studios will agree on the best course of action and implement it. Some people will be pissed, but some wont. They may never change a beat and just see what happens.

I think their goal wont be known for awhile. This could be to keep us happy until downloads are ready.

Its like the Best Buy rumor. If they decide to give HDDVD the ax, some will be pissed and some wont. They are going to do what THEY think is BEST for them in the long run, regardless of what WE WANT.

WE don't make the final decision, THEY do.
I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just wondering what the difference between BR and SD DVD is to the studios. Will the studios benefit if BR becomes the new norm and SD DVD goes away? Or will they make just as much money continuing to market SD DVD as their main source of income for post-theater revenue. I'm just wondering from the business side of things. I'm all for 1080p movies, don't get me wrong.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just wondering what the difference between BR and SD DVD is to the studios. Will the studios benefit if BR becomes the new norm and SD DVD goes away? Or will they make just as much money continuing to market SD DVD as their main source of income for post-theater revenue. I'm just wondering from the business side of things. I'm all for 1080p movies, don't get me wrong.

Well, heres what I see:

*) Theater sales have been diminishing(prices are getting too high), they are looking at software and downloads with extra features to make up the difference?

*) Dvd's are so easily ripped now, HDM adoption would slow it, not by much? I mean slysoft made this big claim to have cracked BD+, but is still saying they recommend buying HDDVD because they dont have a decent way yet. To me, BD+ makes it harder, and thats what Id be looking at. For every difficult step they make it deters people.

In my current DVD collection, prob 50% were ripped on DVD-R and DVD- R DL from Netflix. Now with BD, I buy everything. A couple of friends who did the same thing have now resulted to buying movies because they are hooked on the PQ. Im sure we are not the only one. Is it a good strategy, who knows. Until the players are under $200, I dont think we'll see DVD go anywhere.

*) They care about PQ? :)

Honestly I really dont know. I feel, in the world of HD, that they feel they need to keep up or people will find other HD content. I wonder if theaters will have a place in 10 years, they may be the niche market.

It still remains to be seen how effective. Regardless if its cracked, its still a bit of a thorn with the ability to change keys. I bought CDRW's upon DVDRW's and Im done with that. Will not buy a BDRW.

IF slysoft can make it as easy as ripping dvd's is, then maybe its moot. Up until now, they are still in a holding pattern.

I think the profit margin on DVDs has gotten rather thin. If they can boost BD, they can make higher unit profits. This is not in itself a bad thing- they need to make a profit to continue making movies.

I suspect movie theaters are in for a period of decline. They might come up with a successful form of 3D, or some other schtick, to keep the business alive. I think they will have to address some concerns to lure back those of us that have been driven away. Perhaps if they came up with a "high class" theater, with a truly large screen and great sound, large comfortable seats, and some way of deterring teenage troublemakers (higher prices?). I'm tired of the audience noise, cramped seats, sticky floors and relatively small screens of today. Plus the great expense of concessions and their Large, Super and Forklift sized everything. Yet I might pay more for tickets for a truly upscale night out. NAH- never see it! I'll plow more money into my Blu-ray collection. The entire experience, including PQ & AQ, is better in my home.

I favor prison time for Slysoft. By facilitating theft, they only discourage the release of movies I want to buy/rent.

Perhaps if they came up with a "high class" theater, with a truly large screen and great sound, large comfortable seats, and some way of deterring teenage troublemakers (higher prices?). I'm tired of the audience noise, cramped seats, sticky floors and relatively small screens of today. Plus the great expense of concessions and their Large, Super and Forklift sized everything. Yet I might pay more for tickets for a truly upscale night out. NAH- never see it! I'll plow more money into my Blu-ray collection. The entire experience, including PQ & AQ, is better in my home.

I favor prison time for Slysoft. By facilitating theft, they only discourage the release of movies I want to buy/rent.

I agree with every bit of this.

I love paying $9 per ticket, $11 for a drink and popcorn just to listen to people talk. :rolleyes: Its just as easy if I spend $20 on a BD instead of $30 there, if I hate the movie im out less.

I went to a theater in Kansas that had a button on the side of the seat. You press it and a guy brings you beer and food. Now that would be fun once and awhile, but my EVERY Sunday trip to the theater has long since been dead.

I am only an HD DVD owner at this time with no experience with BD at all, so I really don't know the answer to the following questions: Are BDs available as dual format, and can BD upconvert anything? Perhaps these could be more levers for BD. If the dual format disk could be made available for the same price as the HD only version then some folks with SD only equipment might buy some BDs in anticipation of eventually buying a BD player. BD could incent that by offering "points" or some such on the purchase of the dual format disks. Then a collector of a number of BD disks could cash-in 500 points or whatever for a new BD player. Once owned, if that single player could play/upconvert the rest of the owner's collection that would go a long way toward making it a very attractive one-unit solution...

My wife still has some interest in going to the theater- just to see it sooner, I think. I dragged my feet on Ratatouille until the Blu-ray came out. Great flick, great PQ, BTW.

But if we had that button, I might be persuaded to go again! ;)

I am only an HD DVD owner at this time with no experience with BD at all, so I really don't know the answer to the following questions: Are BDs available as dual format, and can BD upconvert anything? Perhaps these could be more levers for BD. If the dual format disk could be made available for the same price as the HD only version then some folks with SD only equipment might buy some BDs in anticipation of eventually buying a BD player. BD could incent that by offering "points" or some such on the purchase of the dual format disks. Then a collector of a number of BD disks could cash-in 500 points or whatever for a new BD player. Once owned, if that single player could play/upconvert the rest of the owner's collection that would go a long way toward making it a very attractive one-unit solution...

I dont think we'll see a combo format on BD, I dont even know if its possible.

What I would like to see, if the offers that used to come in dvds that allowed you to get a freebie for every 5 or 10 purchased.

I am only an HD DVD owner at this time with no experience with BD at all, so I really don't know the answer to the following questions: Are BDs available as dual format, and can BD upconvert anything? Perhaps these could be more levers for BD. If the dual format disk could be made available for the same price as the HD only version then some folks with SD only equipment might buy some BDs in anticipation of eventually buying a BD player. BD could incent that by offering "points" or some such on the purchase of the dual format disk. Then cash-in 500 points or whatever for a new BD player. Once owned, if that single player could play/upconvert the rest of the owner's collection that would go a long way toward making it a very attractive one-unit solution...

There was early work on BD dual format, but the idea was shelved and it never became one of the accepted disc formats.

The PS3- and, I believe with high confidence- all BD players can play DVDs. I believe all or most also upconvert. I am quite happy with my PS3's upconversion capabilities, but I've read where some others wish it was better. Some say the A2 did a better job upconverting. I do know that more enhancements to the PS3's upconversion capabilities are coming. Sources (from Sony, I believe) state that they figure they can improve the PS3 upconversion by another 30%.

IMAX! Yes! I've been to a few, and would like to see more. Don't know of any current IMAX theaters around Northern VA, though (except at Udvar-Hazy & downtown museums). I think there's some talk of a future IMAX theater around here, though.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Lower the cost of the movies". Many comments touch on things that amount to forcing DVD out therefore leaving BluRay as the only available option. I don't think that heavy-handed approach will work - trying to force something will just generate more resistance.

Also, the BluRay hardware needs to come down in price so that it starts appearing everywhere. Currently I can play SD DVDs in all my laptops, on all my desktops, in my home theater, in my bedroom, in my vans internal system, in my daughter's portable player...

I have an HDDVD player (no BluRay yet), but the point is I can only play HDDVDs in my home theater and nowhere else. The same would be true if it were a BluRay player.

So you end up paying more for HD disks and have less options of where to play them since the players are not found everywhere (because they're too expensive).