How can E* keep adding HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Up to 50, but only 26 EOY? You can spin it any way you want I guess. What's the need to compare to DirecTV? Echostar simply did NOT deliver!
Yep, you're right. They've been too busy adding national HD channels to put up any more locals.

IMHO putting up locals in HD is a waste of bandwidth.

HD locals are available OTA, with better PQ than D* or E* offers.

I could see having a East and West feed of the Big 4 in HD to serve people n ot able to get an acceptable OTA signal.

But that would not really work for D*. The Spaceway birds were not designed for TV delivery (they were initally meant for broadband satellite internet) the phase arrays on the Spaceway birds can't deliver a conus signal.

Please. What a stupid response. I expect more intelligence and less hype from you.

This response is verging on the edge of flaming. Lets keep it civil. Just because you don't like a response, you don't need to call it stupid. Think it if you want, but keep it to yourself, please.

Yep, you're right. They've been too busy adding national HD channels to put up any more locals.

I prefer them adding more national HD. If you really think about it, HD LiL's in the lower DMA's are really useless to most people as they have excellent OTA coverage already.

I prefer them adding more national HD. If you really think about it, HD LiL's in the lower DMA's are really useless to most people as they have excellent OTA coverage already.

In theory correct. In reality, 90% of pay tv subs utilize their provider for locals. Also, many of the smaller DMAs are also covering large geo areas, and some have things like mountains, etc. The fact is most people prefer having the locals from whoever they buy from.

Soon hopefully, for all the providers this won't be an issue anyhow.

In theory correct. In reality, 90% of pay tv subs utilize their provider for locals. Also, many of the smaller DMAs are also covering large geo areas, and some have things like mountains, etc. The fact is most people prefer having the locals from whoever they buy from.

Soon hopefully, for all the providers this won't be an issue anyhow.

Shame on your retailers in your area for not hooking up the OTA's. I've seen many DishNetwork systems and DirecTV systems with their OTA's hooked up in my areas.

I'm not talking about the smaller DMA's. LiL's are great for small DMA's with poor OTA coverage and affiliates dragging their feet with their regulation height basketball goals for antennas pushing 100 watts.

Shame on your retailers in your area for not hooking up the OTA's. I've seen many DishNetwork systems and DirecTV systems with their OTA's hooked up in my areas.

I'm not talking about the smaller DMA's. LiL's are great for small DMA's with poor OTA coverage and affiliates dragging their feet with their regulation height basketball goals for antennas pushing 100 watts.

Must be the retailers in MOST areas. It doesn't take much reading of the threads in BOTH E* & D* to see the multitudes asking for when their locals will be lit. And yes, it is really pretty easy to get OTA in most places.

So, your theory while correct does NOT match the reality of the situation. MOST would prefer their HD locals thru their pay provider.

So, your theory while correct does NOT match the reality of the situation. MOST would prefer their HD locals thru their pay provider.

No theory. Just facts. Most people would prefer them free via OTA. Every E* and D* HD user I've seen gets their HD locals via OTA.

No theory. Just facts. Most people would prefer them free via OTA. Every E* and D* HD user I've seen gets their HD locals via OTA.

I agree with you digiblur. I think D* has gone local crazy. When I got into D* back in 1997 locals were not even a thought. I went sat to get more stations than what my local cable company could provide. When is Pigsknuckle, Arkansas going to get their HD locals on D*?

Hey, if I had good locals, I'd be getting them OTA and be happy with them for free. But mine stink, so a little "move" was in order to get better ones. Its worth the extra dough.

If only the wife could be convinced that the whole sat tv package was worth the dough... ;) (We SPEND HOW MUCH FOR TV?????) :D

I agree with you :)
The way I look at it, WHY pay D* for something that with a little work you can usually get for free. I understand that not all can get OTA , but those of us who can, why would you want to pay for them, when they are available for free, and you get more channels with the OTA locally than what D* currently gives you ................

Jimbo

I agree with you :)
The way I look at it, WHY pay D* for something that with a little work you can usually get for free. I understand that not all can get OTA , but those of us who can, why would you want to pay for them, when they are available for free, and you get more channels with the OTA locally than what D* currently gives you ................

Jimbo

Why?.Because for $3. a month it's really a no brainer.Especially if your like me 80 miles away from the transmitters.Plus in our area we have a serious multipath problems.So you would be looking at at least a six foot directional antenna with a rotor not a pretty sight at all.I get a kick when one of our local station's transmitters goes down.They apologize over the air for the weak signal,but the signal from Directv coming from the station is still crisp and clear.Mark me down as one happy Directv locals customer.;)

Yep Jhon69, you are correct; but sometimes people don't see the common sense like you laid out. They just see a DBS company and the small charge and are instantly against it. And even people that could get OTA easy, they just want one rooftop device or simply see the fastest, lowest cost option to adding their locals as you described. I get LIL and OTA and also a very happy DirecTV customer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)