How can I connect to a computer in my home network, from my office, through internet?

Frazien

Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
new york
I have a LAN at home in which there are 7 computers connected via a router. All the computers in the LAN access to the internet through the router. How can I connect to my own computer from my office? My office also has a LAN and all computers access internet through a router. I want to connect to my own computer as a remote desktop connection.

What does "connect" mean in your question?

Access shares? SMB? NFS?
Or get your desktop? VNC? RDP?

All of it is doable (if your ISP supports it), you just have to open certain ports on your router WAN end.

Diogen.

If you just need to access the desktop, then the easiest solution would be www.LogMeIn.com
It's free unless you need remote printing or file transfer.
And it doesn't require you to mess with your router settings.

Welcome to the forum!

You asked a simple question and here's two simple answers.

The easiest way to do it is to get a service called GoToMyPC. It is NOT cheap but it is secure and it works very well. I used it for a couple years. The install process is quite easy too plus they have excellent tech support.

If you have an ipad, you can also access your desktop for almost free using an application called LogMeIn. ( similar to Ilya's suggestion but for ipad use. ) It is secure and it works extremely well for doing PC work on your ipad screen anywhere you have internet service. I use this now as the app is not very expensive and a one time fee.

Both methods install damn near idiot proof as they are designed for non tech people. Both allow FTP access using GUI but the ipad has platform issues with this because files are not accessible except from within applications. Therefore not all files are accessible with LogMeIn. Better to use them on your PC and work them from remote control with LogMeIn. With GotomyPC you can do better by transferring a file like an video clip and work with it on the local PC.

There is another way that uses the more expensive operating system versions and it's Remote desktop. Tricky to set up for non-techies, also free. I've always used the HOME versions of windows so I never had access to the Remote desktop features.

All of these are great options but they make one very critical assumption. They assume that the companies network allows outgoing connections through their firewall using client applications. Because of this trend to secure their networks you need to be looking only at options that fully use the internet over port 80 or 443 (for secure communication). So services like LogMeIn are the types of services you want to be looking at. Even if other services work fine today it's highly unlikely they will continue working in the near to midterm future.

Longhorn- My wife works in a highly secured office and therefore using any connection through her company's network is strictly taboo. What I decided to get her for Christmas to work her ipad is a Verizon wifi hotspot. They were giving them away free with ipad purchase. She is allowed to use a personal cell phone, even PDA smart phone but all business calls must be through company supplied cell phone. At one time, about 2 years ago they allowed her to access a remote desktop from a personal laptop using special access software they supplied. Today, that has been discontinued and they only allow remote desktop through company supplied laptops using a secure VPN.

But, what I was wondering, as I haven't tried this with her office security, is whether she could access a home computer from the company computer / browser using Logmein or go to my PC. For now, she will just be using the ipad with the Verizon Hotspot, but the question did come up and I wasn't sure she could do it. It all became moot when she asked and the IT dept said that would be an unauthorized use of the company computer, so no.

Our Corporate IT has blocked access to external POP, IMAP, RDC, and Proxy sites for several years now. They do allow WebEx but you need to be a member of the appropriate security group to get there. As always, YMMV...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)