How can I get DTV to the tv in my kitchen without a receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

AvoidLloyd

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
I would like to get DTV to a tv in my kitchen, but I don't want to pay for the extra receiver. How can I link it up with another tv in my house? Is there a wireless solution? Running cables to it will be very difficult if not impossible since the basement is finished with drywall on the ceiling. Any ideas?

you can do like i did, go to kmart or walmart, and buy this phillips thing with up to four components you can hook up to it, run your s video plug from your dtv to it along with the red and white for the audio, just make sure on the back of the component plug in, it has a coax connection coming out, then run your coax to the second tv, it works great, then if you have the hr20 dvr like i do with the rf built in, it works like a charm in the kitchen with the remote, enjoy.

There are wireless senders you can try but since the TV is in the kitchen, hard to avoid interference. Your microwave oven or wireless phone can really mess up the signal.

Your best bet is try to find a way to hard wire the TV. Coax cable or HDMI (if your tv has it) is not that bulky, can be easily clipped along the door frame and cabinets to reach the TV.

For the above reason I have upgraded my kitchen TV to a 20" LCD flat panel with HDMI input, I plan to run a 75' HDMI cable from my box in the family room to the Kitchen TV. Still in the planning stage but the new Kitchen TV is currently hooked up to OTA for our local HD stations. The coax feed is easily dropped from my second floor closet into a kitchen cabinet next to the TV, a small hole is driled at the corner to pull the coax out to the TV. The cable goes up into the attic and connects to my OTA antenna.

you can do like i did, go to kmart or walmart, and buy this phillips thing with up to four components you can hook up to it, run your s video plug from your dtv to it along with the red and white for the audio, just make sure on the back of the component plug in, it has a coax connection coming out, then run your coax to the second tv, it works great, then if you have the hr20 dvr like i do with the rf built in, it works like a charm in the kitchen with the remote, enjoy.

Please tell me more about this "philips thing"...

Like what is its real name and model number.

I that it this is not wireless....if this is correct thats ok because I have my house wired for all TVs homerun back to one spot.

Ideal solution would be Ultra Wideband transmitter and receiver. Problem is I don't see any products on the market yet & I am not sure if we'll see something soon either.

I have these set up on my bedroom receiver and garage TV:

onhometheater.com - Hot Product Archives

terk_leapfrog_lf305_2.jpg

I got them open box at Best Buy a few years ago. They aren't perfect, but for a quick wireless solution, they're acceptable.

Please tell me more about this "philips thing"...

Like what is its real name and model number.

I that it this is not wireless....if this is correct thats ok because I have my house wired for all TVs homerun back to one spot.

I don't think the "philips thing" will have enough power to drive a multi tv in house cable system.
PHILIPS PH61159 RF FM MODULATOR FOR DVD/VCR/TV NEW - eBay (item 140199850711 end time Jan-27-08 15:53:16 PST)

This unit puts out 25dBmV about the same you would get from cable company. Get a 2 channel unit and send
Holland Electronics 1-Channel Video Modulator

I have 30 ft 2.4 wifi video link ($149) and interference is problem and I had to add a home made reflector on the wifi antenna. It does work.

The older wireless transmitters used 2.4Ghz wavelengths, a unit I just recommended for my parents (to be used in their kitchen) uses 5.8Ghz, which means no interference from wifi, most cordless phones, and microwaves. About $120 for a set.

The older wireless transmitters used 2.4Ghz wavelengths, a unit I just recommended for my parents (to be used in their kitchen) uses 5.8Ghz, which means no interference from wifi, most cordless phones, and microwaves. About $120 for a set.

I thought most cordless phones today are 5.8 GHz?

I'm trying to pull the manual for the current Terk wireless to confirm the 5.8 GZ question.

OK according to the current online manual for the LF-30S it state 2.4Gz. Good for 150ft
Input is 3 RCA connectors 2 audio + video
Output composite RCA or coax

Thus No HD. Also to go from my D* 21-700, I would need some sort of HMDI or Component down-converter/adapter.

May be quick solution, but there are some compromises

I bought a wireless sender from X10.com for my sister, and it works great. The D* receiver is downstairs, and her TV is upstairs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)