How can I know what frequency LNB's should i buy to catch a specific satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

john_robot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Guys. How can I know what frequency LNB's should i buy to catch a specific satellite?
For example if you get KU band there are many LNB's with different frequencies out there such as

1- 10.95 to 11.70 GHz
2- 11.70 to 12.20 GHz
3- 12.25 to 12.75 GHz
4- 10.95 to 12.75 GHz

How do I decide the correct LNB that I need ? is there any kind of calculation you have to do to decide what frequencies supported LNB that I need?

Ok Im trying to understand this, so if i have a TP 10982 V then I need LNB starts with 10.95 ?
If I have a TP 12590 V then I need this LNB 12.75 GHz

correct ?

Ok Im trying to understand this, so if i have a TP 10982 V then I need LNB starts with 10.95 ?

correct ?
No! The frequency of the Local Oscillator (LO) in the LNB for most KU American satellites with most receivers is 10750 That frequency is "mixed" with the signal frequency to give the tuning frequency of the receiver. I cold go into a long explanation, but I would probably have to get out stuff I read / wrote 60 years ago and probably would be even more confusing.

Last edited:
Guys. How can I know what frequency LNB's should i buy to catch a specific satellite?
For example if you get KU band there are many LNB's with different frequencies out there such as

1- 10.95 to 11.70 GHz
2- 11.70 to 12.20 GHz
3- 12.25 to 12.75 GHz
4- 10.95 to 12.75 GHz

How do I decide the correct LNB that I need ? is there any kind of calculation you have to do to decide what frequencies supported LNB that I need?

correct ?

That is correct. If you wish to view a transponder frequency of 10982 than you would need an LNB that tunes that frequency range. You also need to pay attention to the transponder polarity and match your LNB to be the correct polarity type, either linear or circular. You do not need to know the LNB's LO frequency when choosing the correct LNB as the LO is just the conversion frequency and only needs to be set to the corresponding frequency in the receiver menus.

ok great.. yeah I understand about polarity type. Tnx guys.

Universal KU LNB is good for any place it seems coz it covers 10.95 to 12.75 GHz

Yes, but it also has it's disadvantages. Since it uses 22khz switching internally to change from low band to high band, that precludes using it in a matrix with other 22khz switched devices, like a 2x1 22khz switch, or a 4x4 or 4x8 multiswitch. Using a universal lnbf in it's full , two band mode makes for a unnecessarily long blindscan on sats over North America. I generally use my 4 output universal(9750/10600) as a single LO , 10600 Mhz 22khz ON lnbf, so it only scans the higher band. Every tp that I have seen in the low band ( below 11700 Mhz ) is in a beam not available to North American users. Hope this helps.

Standard KU LNB's use an L.O. of 10750
best for general Ku reception unless you need Atlantic satellites
(I'm on the west coast, and can't see 'em)

Universal KU LNB's use an L.O. of 9750-10600
If there are signals on Atlantic satellites you want to receive
(but mind the switching considerations listed above)

DBS LNB's use an L.O. of 11250
North American circular satellites
(not much found unencrypted on the pay satellites, any more)

In North America, we don't usually talk about LNBFs by their frequency coverage.
We just refer to their LO (local oscillator) frequency.
So, Standard and Universal are linear.
Circular is the top of the band, and unique.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts