How can I put this on a pole?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

d00d3l

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
College Station TX
My friend with the 8/10 foot dish had to tend to an emergency, and the dish has some holes in it/slightly rusted out on the pole, might be hard to disassemble. My dad just told me to look for a smaller C-band dish on eBay, and he might buy it. So I came up with this: 180cm (6ft) C/Ku-Band Prime Focus Mesh Satellite Dish | eBay

This really suits my needs right here, and is not too large (I have a phobia of those large dishes anyway! LOL). How would I go about putting this thing on a pole? Does anyone know what diameter the pole would have to be? Thanks

My friend with the 8/10 foot dish had to tend to an emergency, and the dish has some holes in it/slightly rusted out on the pole, might be hard to disassemble. My dad just told me to look for a smaller C-band dish on eBay, and he might buy it. So I came up with this: 180cm (6ft) C/Ku-Band Prime Focus Mesh Satellite Dish | eBay

This really suits my needs right here, and is not too large (I have a phobia of those large dishes anyway! LOL). How would I go about putting this thing on a pole? Does anyone know what diameter the pole would have to be? Thanks

Just keep in mind that a 6ft dish will have significantly lower performance than an 8ft dish (or a 10 ft dish of course). Not only will it be a bit hard to lock on some DVB-S2 signals, it will also suffer from interference from adjacent satellites. And at $299 plus $99 shipping, that 6ft dish on ebay is not exactly cheap. I think it might be worth putting a bit of elbow grease in trying to rescue your friend's dish, and if that fails you still have the option of that 6ft dish (which you could also buy directly from Tek2000.

Tek2000 does sell bigger dishes too. Course, the price is bigger too. :)

There's people here on satguys that have bought their dishes, before you buy, maybe do a search for tek2000 and read up on others experiences with them. I myself would do like Brct203 suggested, get the old dish from your friend and if it don't work out, then maybe buy one.

Reactions: hank123 and Lee60
well im a tek2000 buyer and i have the 10ft mesh. i like the mesh dish part itself but the mounting parts forget it. they are weak and cheap metal. i had to have a buddy weld some spots and had to use metal shims to keep it beamed in right.

The most common issue I run into taking down an older dish is frozen bolts that lock the dish to the pole. I found it's much easier to give each bolt a good smack with a large (2lb) hammer in direct line with the bolt. Doing this loosens the contact between the bolt and pole, and allows for easier loosening of the bolts. I always lubricate them with a good penetrant of some kind, while letting it sit a while, as you're getting ready to lift it off the pole.

Then after getting all the bolts loose, I back them out and toss them, replacing all the bolts with stainless steel bolts with a good coating of anti-seize before putting the dish on the new pole. You may not be able to do this, but I never disassemble a used dish. I haul it to my house in 1 piece. If it needs new bolts around the refelctor, I replace them one at a time. I have a flatbed truck with an 8x8 foot bed, so hauling a dish is one piece is no problem.

If the mount if rusted to the pole, it's usually the first 2 inches of the mount, and can be loosened by whacking the mount at the bottom with the same 2lb hammer until it comes loose. Never had one that didn't come loose with a little pursuation. An 8 or 10 footer will do a much better job over a 6 foot dish. Just a suggestion. Good luck getting it down. :)

Reactions: IntelPennny4
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts