How Complex Is It to Broadcast In Ku Band?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ShaneLinder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Texas
How hard would it be for channels like KSBN (SafeTV) and Spirit TV that currently broadcast in C band to broadcast in Ku band? I often make such suggestions when I send in a contribution.

well lets see

-They'd have to buy time on a KU satellite (no biggie)
-They'd have to inform everyone using that feed normally (not us since most of the time we the FTA'ers are not their intended audience) that they are changing and require them to change over (this is big)
-If they've on C-Band for a while, this makes it even tougher to move to KU
-C-Band has little to no rain fade whereas KU does. This is the main reason lots of stations are still on C-Band. Since the wavelength is so long it can easily work in bad conditions. When we get bad weather, KU goes ouot but C-Band barely flickers down (and my C-Band dish is on the minimum side)

The first rule of FTA is to never ever ever contact a broadcaster. What you have to realize is the signals we're receiving are not intended for us. They're intended for secondary broadcasters like cable companies, little dish companies, and network affiliates. That's why they're not concerned with making their signal easier for FTA hobbiest to receive. Anyway, the reason it's best to never contact a broadcaster is that even if they themselves don't care about "unauthorized" viewers like us ( and we can't even assume this is the case) there are other third parties who may care and could force that broadcaster to encrypt their signal whether they themsleves want to or not. For example the cable companies and little dish companies who are carrying those channels could demand they encrypt. Also if they broadcast any programming they don't produce themselves they are probably purchasing that programming from someone else and the price they pay for it is based on the number of viewers they serve and generally FTA viewers are not accounted for in that. Therefore the entity they buy this programming from could force encryption also. The situation is even more complex with local ota station that uplink thier signal via satellite as then the network they are affiliated with and other station in other areas that are affiliated with the same network can get involved in the matter becuase they have contracts with the network giving them exclusive coverage of certain viewing areas. Anyway, if one makes a donation to these religous broadcasters it's probably best not to make any reference to how your receiving thier programming.

As for how easy or hard it would be for them to switch from C to Ku, it doesn't matter. They've chosen to distribute the signal to the secondary broadcasters, who are the one really intended to receive the signal, this way because they've determined it is the best option. One reason for this might be that C band signals are more relaible and less affected by weather. Another reason might be that most of the intended receipients have the necessary hardware in place to receive the signal in it's current form. Anyway, if they're using C band it's because they've chosen to do so.

very well put Stefan

One thign though...there are some religious broadcasters that do publish how to pick it up on C-band. But otherwise you are correct, we don't call the broadcaster :)
Thats how stuff gets scrambled

The biggie for Safe TV is buying the KU-band space; this would need to be in addition to C-band since Sky Angel will not accept a KU-band feed from them. Here is their “official” response:

From: KSBN TV [ksbntv@safetv.org] Sent: Thu 1/26/2006 7:32 AM

Thank you for your interest in getting Safe TV on the AMC-4 system. At this time, Safe TV is on the AMC-4 system through the C-band satellite. We are not able to join the Hope Channel system at this time due to funding - $16,000-20,000 a month. If funding becomes available on a monthly basis, we will certainly check on becoming part of that system.

Thank you,
Darlene Doublehead
Executive Secretary

GloryStar said:
The biggie for Safe TV is buying the KU-band space; this would need to be in addition to C-band since Sky Angel will not accept a KU-band feed from them.

That is some good info right there. So as long as threy're on Sky Angel, they HAVE to stay on C-Band

Thanks for posting that

Stefan said:
The first rule of FTA is to never ever ever contact a broadcaster.

I know several sites that advertise how to receive the channel (say if you don't have cable) They show the dish and satellite receiver diagram.

I remember ARCS had this on their site (can find it anymore). I even had several emails with the technician there about receiving the signals on AMC8 (still hoping they will move to another sat).

But most the time I wouldn't contact the station.

i4tas said:
I know several sites that advertise how to receive the channel (say if you don't have cable) They show the dish and satellite receiver diagram.

correct. Alot ofn the channels on IA5 do as a couple of the religiouos channels (I posted a couple above). One I forgot to add was BYU TV and Dr Gene Scott (University Network)

My wife and I both financially support Spirit Television and Safe TV, that is why I asked the question. 3ABN and Hope openly encourage many in the Adventist church to buy an FTA system in order to get their channels.

correct. As I mentioned above, some religious broadcaster do tell you how to get their signal (as an example, on AMC4 C-Band Cornerstone TV, Golden Eagles, FamilyLand, God's Learning all have on their website how to get it via DVB) but SafeTV & Spirit specifically say to get Sky Angel (heck, Safe TV tells you how to change. Their site says "Let it replace your Cable -or- DirecTV -or- C-band satellite.
Safe TV® makes it possible".)

Thats why we say to not contact broadcasters. :)

I know Safe TV has considered going on Ku band in the past but apparently they don't have the funds. They once replied to me and told me they believe they can reach more people on Skyangel so that sounds like a "one or the other" type of decision.

Spirit may have some agreement with Skyangel and I agree it isn't wise to contact them about their signal. I actually hadn't thought of that before. I am sure Skyangel doesn't like anyone picking up Spirit's signal for free.

"Let it replace your Cable -or- DirecTV -or- C-band satellite.
Safe TV® makes it possible".)

Aren't there C-band subscription systems that have monthly fees like DirectTV? I would think that is what SafeTV is getting at. They are targetting Christians and saying, get Skyangel instead of paying for cable, DirectTV or C-band satellite.

ShaneLinder said:
Spirit may have some agreement with Skyangel and I agree it isn't wise to contact them about their signal. I actually hadn't thought of that before. I am sure Skyangel doesn't like anyone picking up Spirit's signal for free.
bingo :)
Thats why we don't say anything if there is technical glitches. We just gut it out. Now if we were paying for it, then yes we could complain :)

Aren't there C-band subscription systems that have monthly fees like DirectTV? I would think that is what SafeTV is getting at. They are targetting Christians and saying, get Skyangel instead of paying for cable, DirectTV or C-band satellite.
correct. There is subscription C-Band programming (analog & digital which is basically 4DTV). SafeTV could easily encrypt their channel but then it would cost companies that pick it up (SkyAngel, local cable companies) money for receivers to unscramble it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts