Status
Please reply by conversation.

deltadave

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Atlanta
Hey all….

Very long time lurker, first time poster. This is such a great forum to learn about issues folks have with Directv equipment, channels, etc. Thanks to all who make it a great forum.

Okay, so after reading boards a long time, I decided it was time to call retention because I was interested in an HD-DVR and ST.

I've been with DT for 4 years and signed up in fall of '02 and had the Sunday Ticket deal (4 installments of $79 and 4 months of Total Choice premier). I downgraded to Total Choice plus at the end of that period and haven't had ST since.. Also, in July of '04 I got a TIVO and 3 LNB dish for $99 (I think it was supposed to only be for new subscribers).

So, I called retention yesterday and here's what I got after 35 minutes on the phone with a very nice rep:
HD-DVR….$299
Sunday tkt 249
Super Fan- free
HBO/Showtime - $2 a month for six months
4 months free HD package
$10 bill credit monthly for a year
Free OTA HD antenna
Another 3 LNB if I need it
Of course the install included and that on 8/29.

In addition I was told I'd get a new HD-DVR when the upgrades were complete. All this in return to re-up for two more years.

The DVR started at $399. I tried to get him to go lower than $299 but it didn't work. Superfan seems like a good deal and I didn’t ask for the HBO/Showtime but I am glad to have it.

What do you all think? How'd I do? Could I/Should I have done better? I am kind of concerned I paid (not yet) for the HD-DVR…opinions?

I know earlier in the summer last years ST subs got the HD-DVR for free. I kind of hoped that would work for me but I didn't get it.

Also, what model number is the standard HD-DVR? I read about all of the different model number but I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Thanks for you input and insight! Take care all…..
-dave

You are leasing the HDDVR so you paid $299 for the right to lease the old model DVR(HR10-250) do you have it in writing that the upgrade to the MPEG4 DVR will be FREE? If they are going to upgrade you to MPEG4 they should be installing an AT9 5 LNB dish not a phase 3. The reduction on your bill any existing customer could probably negotiate so you have some gains but you need to get some changes made.

call back and get the HD DVR for free -- it is just a matter of finding the right CSR -- but do it before it is installed -- and tell them about the great deal Comcast/Dish/FIOS/whatever is running in your area. Above all be very nice.

deltadave said:
So, I called retention yesterday and here's what I got after 35 minutes on the phone with a very nice rep:
HD-DVR….$299
Sunday tkt 249
Super Fan- free
HBO/Showtime - $2 a month for six months
4 months free HD package
$10 bill credit monthly for a year
Free OTA HD antenna
Another 3 LNB if I need it
Of course the install included and that on 8/29.

Hey all....thanks for the feedback.

Had some TIVO issues yesterday after thunderstorms so I called 1-800-DIRECTV. After getting disconnected twice, I called the retention number and just asked if I could be transferred to technical assistance. The rep said she could just help me. At one point during the conversation I had to reset TIVO. Since we had a few minutes waiting for the TIVO unit to reset, I asked the rep to take a look at my recent order and what I was given. I was very nice as always and told her that too many people have told me I should not be paying for the HD-DVR. Ten minutes later TIVO was fixed and I am getting all of the stuff I said I'd get in the first post and now I am not paying for the HD-DVR. In addition, I am getting a 5 LNB dish to be ready for the upgrade.

I've read a lot of places about horrible D* customer service and perhaps that's true with 1-800-directv but the agents I have dealt with at retention were very nice, not rushing me and appreciated my business. Donna was great!

Another tidbit: So I am pretty excited to see what my TV looks like in HD so I've been doing searches with the HD-DVR model numbers just to see screen shots of the program guide, menus, etc. I decided to check Ebay to see if I could find some pics there. I could not believe what I saw: One of my search results returned some guys auction, who, for $14.99, sells you an Ebook that tell current customers how to get a discounted HD-DVR and the known programming discounts. I am sure the Ebook follows the same line of thinking about calling retention that is discussed here and other message boards.

I just can't believe someone is making a ton of money off that. This dude had 730+ feedbacks from selling this thing!! Amazing.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts