How Dish's 1080p is going to work...

Was it limited to a certain satellite? I was watching recordings last night that were interrupted several times with the lost signal message. It got so bad we stopped watching the recording and the lost signal messages did not appear while watching live TV. L512 on a 622.

It happened while the set was tuned to 129 and 110 on multiple channels every 10 to 15 minutes, but disappeared with a power button reboot - but we started watching the news on live TV after the reboot. Stangest thing I ever saw, but no problems with the new software so far.

I figure that since E* uses HD Lite to skimp on the current HD content, that even though I cannot fully appreciate 1080p, that at least I would get better PQ out of it than a typical HD offering.

HD Lite has nothing to do with HDPPVs, HDPPVs get sufficeint BW, even the HD premium channels get sufficient BW, not to mention film based materials require less BW than HD video based shows.

I have a side by side MPEG4 HD comparison between E* and D* in the War Zone, even when watching the "HD Lite" E* standard national HDs the overcompression issue was not visible from a normal viewing distance. The premium movies HD PQ between E* and D* are equally excellent, they don't mess with premiums and PPVs.

I suspect by the time I am able to order the 1080p HDPPV I will not see any difference in PQ compared to its 1080i counterpart.

So if your HDTV isn't 1080p24 this update is useless?

If this is the case, any word on an update allowing all 1080 sets to make use of this update?

(I have a Sony KDS-50A2000 which so far i've found online not to be 1080p24... how does one actually confirm this about their television? ( I couldn't find it in my manual and Sony claims it to be "Full HD" which I would assume means it covers all aspects of being an HD tv).

*sigh*

After sending an e-mail to DISH cs, I recieved a reply which in part read,"Your 622 will be able to access channel 501 on 8/7/08 at 12:00am." Of course , my 622 didn't have channel 501 when I turned it on this morning. I called to complain and was given all sorts of mumbo-jumbo. The result-I was told by tech that the rest of the 622's that don't have 501 today will be online as of 8/11/08. After being sent back to a csr, I b*tched some more, threatened to leave(just so happens my 18 month comm. is up in a week and I have the EVERYTHING package), and was given three months of my HD programming free(3 $20 credits).

HD Lite has nothing to do with HDPPVs, HDPPVs get sufficeint BW, even the HD premium channels get sufficient BW, not to mention film based materials require less BW than HD video based shows.

I beg to differ. I've seen PPV and premium movie channels pixilate/macroblock considerably during high action and motion. Did you see Transformers or Live Free / Die Hard? Both good examples. I do know some of this could be the feed Dish is getting and I am comparing to HD D VD / Blu-Ray which has no artifacts but may be anfair comparison.

Last edited:

If this is the case, any word on an update allowing all 1080 sets to make use of this update?

(I have a Sony KDS-50A2000 which so far i've found online not to be 1080p24... how does one actually confirm this about their television? ( I couldn't find it in my manual and Sony claims it to be "Full HD" which I would assume means it covers all aspects of being an HD tv).

*sigh*

Yes you need a 1080p24 set to maximize the update. But we are hoping the 1080p VOD will have less compression/bit starving such that it will benefit everyone. You will be able to view the movie regardless of the resolution of your TV, you just may not see it as it's fullest because your TV is not capable.

Yes you need a 1080p24 set to maximize the update. But we are hoping the 1080p VOD will have less compression/bit starving such that it will benefit everyone. You will be able to view the movie regardless of the resolution of your TV, you just may not see it as it's fullest because your TV is not capable.
This sounds absolutely logical to me. Until someone really in the know can tell us DISH checks for 1080p/24 rather then just for 1080p compatability this thread will just keep growing.;). For all we know 6.11 might be in test to correct the missing 501.

I also got the new SW on my 722. When I look at the guide for ch 501, it shows four shows but not the 1080p one. I know my Samsung LN40A-750 TV is setup for 1080p. I called Dish, but the CSR didn't seem to have a clue. Hopefully this will resolve itself over time.

*sigh*

There can easily be confusion with all the 1080P's and difference between panel resolution and what the set can actually accept. In my case my Pioneer 50" has a panel res of 768P, and can receive 1080P/24 via HDMI. This was the first model that was "1080P capable." The current crop of Pios can receive 1080P/24/60/72. But I can't test my set either as I don't have Legend listed yet.

I beg to differ. I've seen PPV and premium movie channels pixilate/macroblock considerably during high action and motion. Did you see Transformers or Live Free / Die Hard? Both good examples. I do know some of this could be the feed Dish is getting and I am comparing to HD D VD / Blu-Ray which has no artifacts but may be anfair comparison.

I can say that my setup, 722 and Pioneer 50" plasma I have not seen what you are experiencing. Both your examples looked great on my setup. Blue Ray its not, but In my case very good pictures. I wonder if you have something else not right at your location.

I can say that my setup, 722 and Pioneer 50" plasma I have not seen what you are experiencing. Both your examples looked great on my setup. Blue Ray its not, but In my case very good pictures. I wonder if you have something else not right at your location.

Nothing wrong with my setup, its just for everyone it will be different in what you can and cannot see and a lot depends on screen size and viewing distance. I sit 10ft from a 57" screen and tend to be very critical when it comes to PQ (I probably spend too much time watching the PQ rather than the movie. :) )

For Transformers I know there was a thread or discussion in a thread on this issue and many agreed with me. And of course there were those who thought there were no problems. Sure a lot of the movie looks great but when the action kicks in I cannot stand PQ issues. Apacalypto was the first Dish HD PPV I ever saw and I would have taken the DVD over that HD. Running through the jungles was a mess and that turned me off to Dish HD PPV early on.

So I am eagerly awaiting this TurboCharged VOD, not for the 1080p as I do not have a 1080p set, but rather I'm hoping for increased bit rate/less compression and not see the issues. Time will tell, still no TurboCharge for me.

Just remember, you don't have to have a 1080p set to be able to accept 1080p24 resolution and frame rate. How do you find out, check your owner's manual.

To All
For what it is worth I received the update on 8/6/2008 and like everyone else did not get the channel 501 with 1080P. This morning I checked and I have the 501 with 1080 p and the movie I am legend. There is also a message that there may be a 15 second delay while dish checks the 1080 p connection? I thought I would pass this along to those waiting.
rlh149

To All
For what it is worth I received the update on 8/6/2008 and like everyone else did not get the channel 501 with 1080P. This morning I checked and I have the 501 with 1080 p and the movie I am legend. There is also a message that there may be a 15 second delay while dish checks the 1080 p connection? I thought I would pass this along to those waiting.
rlh149

Well...HOW DOES IT LOOK?

I also got the new SW on my 722. When I look at the guide for ch 501, it shows four shows but not the 1080p one. I know my Samsung LN40A-750 TV is setup for 1080p. I called Dish, but the CSR didn't seem to have a clue. Hopefully this will resolve itself over time.
I checked your model to see if it has 1080p24 support. It does not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)