How Dish's 1080p is going to work...

On my 722 I have nothing at all in that list. When I go to "movies and more" I get an error message that the smart does not have authorization...
That doesn't sound right.

People need to realize that I AM LEGEND will not show up until it has downloaded to the drive on their receiver. I expect this will take some time yet and who knows if it has even started. I also don't think we are going to get any screens telling us about 1080p or giving us any options over 1080p. You will either get from your HDMI info passed to the receiver or you won't.

Oh my, I don't know were to begin. If you're saying paying the provider for HBO programming + paying for HD capability + paying for HD-DVR capability + paying for HDD archiving capability constitutes getting it for free, we're definitely never going to see eye to eye here.

I agree with this one point. Hollywood (Movies and Television) is way off if they think I'm getting something for free from them. They absolutely must be getting money out of each of my monthly bills. Let me record a show and watch it until I get tired of it, I'll delete it when I'm ready. Is that fair? Not by some definitions, but maybe their definition of fair needs adjusting. The DVR is the modern VCR, let it be that. We're already prevented from making any sort of hard copy of recorded shows. Some in the industry want to strap us to our chairs and glue our eyelids open so we don't miss the ads. It's alarming.

Last edited:
I was Turbo'd this a.m. on my 722. Have the 501's and as another poster noted, Dish on Demand Movies no longer works in recordings menu. Also had to reboot because I only had a small picture top left corner of screen on tuner 1, also noted by another poster. The one thing I haven't seen posted is the drop in volume on my HDMI input since the upgrade. I compared current volume level with a program recorded last night and it is about 15% lower. Anyone else notice this?

I
Dish has to buffer the movies on your harddrive because these movies are higher bandwidth than any of the current 1080i HD PPV channels.

Why do you think this? Back in the old days, when HDNet on Dish was 1920x1080i, the bit rate was up above 13Mbit/sec, or double what we see on most Dish HD channels today. In fact, I think I have some old recordings that are in up in the 15-16Mbit/sec range (and they are stunning). And I know of no technical reason why an entire transponder couldn't be used to deliver just a single channel. The H.264 decoder in the 622/722 is capable to supporting bit rates far above the entire 36Mbits/sec or so that an entire transponder can deliver.

Otherwise, Dish could get away with performing 3:2 reverse pulldown on any of their current 1080i HD channels and calling it "1080p".

Well, maybe people would complain it was even more of a joke as the PQ would still suck even though it was now 1080p. At least with better PQ they can claim they actually delivered some new value.

A number of Dish Network CSR's sent me this overnight (thank you)

Steps to follow if a customer calls because they cannot view HD VOD movies in 1080p.

Confirm the customer has a ViP HD DVR and ask if their HD TV is 1080p capable

Have the customer turn to Ch. 501 and see if they have "I am Legend" in 1080p

If they have a ViP HD DVR and 1080p capable TV and do not have "I am Legend"
in 1080p on Ch. 501 please refer to the schedule below as not all HD DVRs receivers have
yet received the software downloaded to enable 1080p

(please note this schedule is subject to change without notice).

ViP722 - All receivers by August 5th, 12:00 AM
ViP612 - All receivers by August 6th, 12:00 AM
ViP622 - 100K receivers by August 7th, 12:00 AM
ViP622 - All remaining ViP622 receivers during the week of 8/11

Steps to follow if a customer calls because they cannot view HD VOD movies in 1080p.

in 1080p on Ch. 501 please refer to the schedule below as not all HD DVRs receivers have

Shouldn't this also be posted in the Dish Technical Discussions?

I was Turbo'd this a.m. on my 722. Have the 501's and as another poster noted, Dish on Demand Movies no longer works in recordings menu. Also had to reboot because I only had a small picture top left corner of screen on tuner 1, also noted by another poster. The one thing I haven't seen posted is the drop in volume on my HDMI input since the upgrade. I compared current volume level with a program recorded last night and it is about 15% lower. Anyone else notice this?

I noticed the same thing last night which was the first time watching with the new software - now the volume needs to be at a 25 and before it was good at a 20 to 21.

At least it wasn't losing signal like it did Monday night before being "Turbo Charged". Even while watching recorded things the message would come up telling us that we lost our signal. It looks like this problem is gone, but I am curious if anyone else had this problem?

The one thing I haven't seen posted is the drop in volume on my HDMI input since the upgrade. I compared current volume level with a program recorded last night and it is about 15% lower. Anyone else notice this?

I have noticed the same thing. Very annoying. I wonder if a future software upgrade will address the issue.

Still no "I am Legend" on my guide. Perhaps Charlie is viewing it before he releases it.......

My first post.

Must be "subject to change without notice" I'll try again tonight.

I have noticed the same thing. Very annoying. I wonder if a future software upgrade will address the issue.

Still no "I am Legend" on my guide. Perhaps Charlie is viewing it before he releases it.......

My first post.

Well now I know the volume thing isn't just me. I just checked again tonight and don't have "I am Legend" yet either, but do have the other 501's.

Scott,

I looked at "The List" and 501 is also at 110 on transponder 21, any idea if this will be available in Alaska? SCIFI and USA HD are also on 110 and still haven't been authorized for Alaska yet.

I don't watch ppv either. This will be the exception. I have a feeling Dish will make a pretty good mint on this one--even with price break.

But will regular HD channels look better then before atleast just a little bit?

Plus I called Dish yesterday and told them I have a VIP211 on both of my HDTV's and she said I will still get the tourbo charged HD. Is this true or do I need at least a 622?

Last edited:
At least it wasn't losing signal like it did Monday night before being "Turbo Charged". Even while watching recorded things the message would come up telling us that we lost our signal. It looks like this problem is gone, but I am curious if anyone else had this problem?
Was it limited to a certain satellite? I was watching recordings last night that were interrupted several times with the lost signal message. It got so bad we stopped watching the recording and the lost signal messages did not appear while watching live TV. L512 on a 622.

But will regular HD channels look better then before atleast just a little bit?

Plus I called Dish yesterday and told them I have a VIP211 on both of my HDTV's and she said I will still get the tourbo charged HD. Is this true or do I need at least a 622?
The confusion is because Dish is using overusing the word "turbo".

The method used to get the signal to your receiver is 8PSK and it has a Turbo coding that allows more efficient error correction giving more bandwdith for signal. Dish could possibly increase the signal bitrate by using an improved turbo coding process and this would involve all ViP receivers.

The new HD packages have Turbo labels to tout the turbo coding. All ViP receivers can receive these new packages of programming.

The new HDVOD - Only the 612, 622, and 722 DVRs will be able to take avantage of this turbo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)