How Dish's 1080p is going to work...

It is likely that the 1080p VOD movies that Dish is putting out are higher bandwidth than the current 1080i programming.

Even if your television performed perfect 3:2 reverse pulldown on a 1080i source, the higher bandwidth 1080p will look better.

Dish has to buffer the movies on your harddrive because these movies are higher bandwidth than any of the current 1080i HD PPV channels. Otherwise, Dish could get away with performing 3:2 reverse pulldown on any of their current 1080i HD channels and calling it "1080p".

Sorry if this has been asked. Have not seen it though.

How much room will I need on my hard drive to get a 1080p movie to download??
If my hardrive is almost full or full, will I get a message that tells me "need more hard drive storage room" or something like that. Does anyone know how many hours are needed on the hard dirve to download??

Sorry if this has been asked. Have not seen it though.

How much room will I need on my hard drive to get a 1080p movie to download??
If my hardrive is almost full or full, will I get a message that tells me "need more hard drive storage room" or something like that. Does anyone know how many hours are needed on the hard dirve to download??

Your dvr hard drive is partitioned - You get access to MOST of it but not all. Dish reserves the other partition for downloads they put there. It has no effect on the space you use for recordings.

Next time you press the dvr button scroll down and select the tv entertainment selection. All those shows are in the reserved partition. Dish will download several 1080p movies to this partition and then charge you if you want to watch them.

Your dvr hard drive is partitioned - You get access to MOST of it but not all. Dish reserves the other partition for downloads they put there. It has no effect on the space you use for recordings.

Next time you press the dvr button scroll down and select the tv entertainment selection. All those shows are in the reserved partition. Dish will download several 1080p movies to this partition and then charge you if you want to watch them.

Thanks. I was hoping it was that way but was not sure. When I had two 622 I remember that one of the 622 ( which I did not have much recorded ) had a few tv shows on the entertainment section and the other did not. I was thinking it was because I did not have enough room on the hard drive. It probably had more to do with the roll out of the programs in the entertainment section.

Thanks. I was hoping it was that way but was not sure. When I had two 622 I remember that one of the 622 ( which I did not have much recorded ) had a few tv shows on the entertainment section and the other did not. I was thinking it was because I did not have enough room on the hard drive. It probably had more to do with the roll out of the programs in the entertainment section.
I think they look at your viewing habits on each dvr and pick shows you might be interested in, and, they send you stuff they are hyping like when the new season of BSG was about to start.

I think they look at your viewing habits on each dvr and pick shows you might be interested in, and, they send you stuff they are hyping like when the new season of BSG was about to start.

Well then they need to work on their guessing a bit, I have NEVER had a show I wanted to watch on there...

I thought the same thing, but that is incorrect I believe. My father-in-law has completely different viewing habits than my family yet his TV Entertainment section will have the same shows as ours.

I thought the same thing, but that is incorrect I believe. My father-in-law has completely different viewing habits than my family yet his TV Entertainment section will have the same shows as ours.
Ok, thanks! I wasn't sure and I thought I read that it was by viewing habit but never saw any confirmation.

Curious, I see channels 501, there are about 8 of them but none of them lists "I am Legend" as a selection.

My TV is 1080p and when I select another movie, I don't get the 1080p option, just the standard "Do you want to rent this movie?" kind of message.

The only movie that is going to be offered in 1080P right now is I am Legend.(even though it is still not up). It should be up soon. I am in the same boat. Waiting for it to come up to see how it is going to look.

BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!1!!11!!!!
Ok so got the software update!
Interesting thing though is how they are hyping 1080p soooo much yet on my NEW splash screen 1080p IS NOT mentioned.
Anyways so I got all excited and thought that tonight I would be able to view I Am Legend in stunning 1080p and as good as Blu-Ray!!
But alas it turns out that I Am Legend in stunning 1080p as good as Blu-Ray WILL NOT be on until the 9th.
I don't mind waiting though but I hate it when companies do that!
:(

BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!1!!11!!!!
Ok so got the software update!
Interesting thing though is how they are hyping 1080p soooo much yet on my NEW splash screen 1080p IS NOT mentioned.
Anyways so I got all excited and thought that tonight I would be able to view I Am Legend in stunning 1080p and as good as Blu-Ray!!
But alas it turns out that I Am Legend in stunning 1080p as good as Blu-Ray WILL NOT be on until the 9th.
I don't mind waiting though but I hate it when companies do that!
:(
and this surprises you about Dish why?:eek:

waltinvt said:
And HDCP is all about how to force more $$$$ out of consumers.
hazydave said:
Not so much... it's really just the end result of the "Ready! Fire! Aim!" introduction of HDTV. I mean, they spent how long grousing about the specs, finally creating the Grand Alliance and ATSC, but didn't think about digital links or security? Or more likely, just blew it off.
And I thought it was about having high def copy protection built into hardware before the majority of consumers even knew what HD was.

hazydave said:
As for the cables... did you really find an HDMI cable at Best Buy for only $50? They usually run in excess of $100 or more. This is one of those things they sell to pad their bottom line on HDTV sales.. they have to be more or less competitive on HDTV price (I paid a bit more for my 71" Samsung at Best Buy than I would have at B&H Photo/Video, but the shipping would have made B&H ultimately more), but rape you on accessories... what does Joe Average Consumer know about HDMI? And if you buy the $15-$20 cables at Monoprice, they're actually better than the $100+ cables at B/B.
Actually I think is was closer to $80 at BB but I didn't want to sound like I was exaggerating:)

hazydave said:
All that's a good thing, but Fair Use in its best representation (and we don't have that in the USA today... there is no consumer media bill of rights) was never intended to allow you make permanent collections of other folks works for free. That's the sort of attitude that's going to have Hollywood, Inc. and their billions getting Congress to overreact and shut it all down.
Huh? What's for free? You're paying something to get it to your TV, either in programming fees or advertising and while you're not allowed to copy for the purpose of re-transmission, re-broadcast or pirating, etc., you are allowed to make a backup copy for time shifting home use.

hazydave said:
There are only about 14 million Dish subscribers, and a tiny fraction of us have HD DVRs with external HDD capability, and only a small fraction of those paid the $40 to be able to use it, and only a small fraction of those folks are using external HDDs for "permanent" archival rather than simple time shifting. So this is simply below the noise floor in the various battles going on. They may well set copy protect tokens at some point, but that doesn't automatically prevent recording (external or internal), and it has no significant effect on media sales.
HD attracted only a small % not that long ago too but they were already at work on HDCP. By the end of 2008 how many tv owners will have HD capability?

hazydave said:
"Fair Use" never even remotely was intended or should apply to making a permanent archival copy of something that's broadcast. That isn't fair use, period
Again, huh? Then how on earth have TiVo and all the other DVR / PVRs managed to find a market?

hazydave said:
that's no different than ripping you buddy's DVD or Blu-Ray and burning your own copy. And part of the problem with protecting consumers' Fair Use rights is that many people on either side don't have a basic understanding of the word "Fair"... you want to build a permanent media library for free, and they want as much payment for as little content as possible. The problem is, Hollywood Inc. billions to spend, and the average consumer, not so much. So the laws are currently skewed in Hollywood's favor, even if the ability to clone is strongly skewed our way at the moment. However, if enough people think Fair Use means unlimited access to any and all content for free, Hollywood is perfectly capable of screwing us all in ways even I (as an involved party since the 80s) can't imagine. And in their usual haste, it'll screw us both.

-Dave
Oh my, I don't know were to begin. If you're saying paying the provider for HBO programming + paying for HD capability + paying for HD-DVR capability + paying for HDD archiving capability constitutes getting it for free, we're definitely never going to see eye to eye here.

And Hollywood wouldn't have sh*t without consumers. I'm beginning to wonder if you might be a studio apologist but I'll ask this anyway: So how many times should a person have to pay for the same programming or movie?

...Next time you press the dvr button scroll down and select the tv entertainment selection. All those shows are in the reserved partition....

On my 722 I have nothing at all in that list. When I go to "movies and more" I get an error message that the smart does not have authorization... I see DishONLINE is possibly working (not sure how long it's been there) $3.99-11.99 ISP downloaded SD tv shows, movies, adult content for "rent". I have three ch 501's (also) $6.99, no I am Legend...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts