How do diplexers work?

mogack

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
I have 3 cables coming ou of the side of my house, have tv in 3 rooms, one 322 one 510, can I use diplexers somehow to eliminate some cables, say from 322 TV1 to TV2. I guess I am not sure how they work.

Any help appreciated.

mogack said:
I have 3 cables coming ou of the side of my house, have tv in 3 rooms, one 322 one 510, can I use diplexers somehow to eliminate some cables, say from 322 TV1 to TV2. I guess I am not sure how they work.
Any help appreciated.

A diplexer can combine a OTA & satellite signal into one RG6 cable. Two diplexers are needed. One at each end of the cable. Please read this link.

http://www.solidsignal.com/dishnetwork/Installation_Documents/The_Ins_and_Outs_of_Diplexers.pdf

Thanks for the link, So it looks like I could do away with the cable going to my TV 2

would still have 2 cables coming out of my house. Thanks for the help.

Yes, I combined my OTA (Arial on the rotor) with my Cable TV where it comes in the basement then split it to the VCR for cable and to the VIP211 for the OTA channels. Works beyond expectations. Be forewarned that prices vary greatly from store to store so it pays (occasionally) to shop. None of the local Radio Shack stores had them in stock so I got mine at the local Best Buy. They were more but I did get them with only one trip to town.

mogack said:
Any help appreciated.
I bought my two on eBay. They were delivered in less than a week. Radio Shack is too expensive.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbuying_sellingQQhtZ-1

When I build my next house, I may want to have both cable (for Internet and Limited Basic TV) and Satellite TV, plan on running at least 2 RG-6 to every room (more to some locations), would I be able to use a diplexers to combine cable and satellite to rooms that have a satellite receiver? I would also like to keep ota in the mix for a favorite low power ota TV channel and possibly ota HD if needed, what would be the best way to do this?

When I build my next house, I may want to have both cable (for Internet and Limited Basic TV) and Satellite TV, plan on running at least 2 RG-6 to every room (more to some locations), would I be able to use diplexers to combine cable and satellite to rooms that have a satellite receiver? I would also like to keep ota in the mix for a favorite low power ota TV channel and possibly ota HD if needed, what would be the best way to do this?

So let me see if Iget this.

I have one HDTV, and a dish 811 receiver with the satellite hookup. If I want to hook up an OTA antenna, I will need 2 diplexers correct? One on the outside with the sat and the ota hooked up into it running into the inside. then I need a a single coax cable hooked into the second diplexer, then I can hook up my 811 with the satellite dish and the ota with the outgoing diplexer?

PLEASE HELP! I'm so confused,

So I just cracked open my 'sat box' on the outside. Heres what I see. I see two different sets of Coax cables connected to one another (I have 2 dishtv satellites on the roof, soon to be 3 after feb 1st) that run directly into the house. On the inside of the house I only see one coax outlet?

On the outside I also have a completely unused splitter with 2 plug ins but has nothing attached to it, could I possibly hook up the diplexer to the splitter, then hook up my OTA antenna with it?

And on top of that where the hell is the ground for my satellite dishes? I'm assuming ther is one but cant find it for the life of me.

well, I found a picture, but it was taken from another site. I'll post it, sorry if this is against the rules. My set up looks like this.

www.dbstalk.com/reviews/Voom/outdoorconnections.JPG

I think I'm just going to go out an buy a few diplexer's. I'm assuming if I hook up the two Sat coax into the diplexer and just hook it up to one of the coax cables that go directly into the house it will work the way it is supposed to correct?

Killswitchengage said:
So let me see if Iget this.
I have one HDTV, and a dish 811 receiver with the satellite hookup. If I want to hook up an OTA antenna, I will need 2 diplexers correct? One on the outside with the sat and the ota hooked up into it running into the inside. then I need a a single coax cable hooked into the second diplexer, then I can hook up my 811 with the satellite dish and the ota with the outgoing diplexer?
100% Correct

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)