How do I find 1080p movies?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well they can do the Top Movie thing on your DVR, soI think it is doable. It probably would take a helluva a hard drive though. I do wish they would look into that though. They are missing out on a lot of possible revenue with those who don't have an internet connection. I think there are a lot more than we think that do not have it.

The "Top Movie" movies automatically download to the DVR through the satellite, but are not requested by the reciever itself -- D* just sends through a certain set of movies to all the DVRs.

For the VOD service to do that, the receiver would still need a way to tell D* which movies you want (Internet or forced callback). Then, the movies would have to constantly be available on the satellite for immediate download. To make all of the 1080P VOD content available through the satellite would take a lot of satellite bandwidth.

All this for something less than BD and that you have to sit how close to your 1080p TV (that will do 24p) for there to be a difference between 1080i? Not worth it IMO

I certainly hope they don't start wasting very precious sat bandwidth on overhyped 1080p stuff. Leave that stuff to download over the Internet if people want it that bad.

I certainly hope they don't start wasting very precious sat bandwidth on overhyped 1080p stuff. Leave that stuff to download over the Internet if people want it that bad.

They're already using satellite bandwidth to download HD movies to the Movies Now folder in the middle of the night so what's the difference? IMHO if they want to make this more useful put those movies in 1080p and let the STB downconvert to 720p/1080i if the TV can't do 1080p/24.

Looks like the push of 1080p PPV's has started, I've got one in my Movies Now folder recorded this morning.

"Ace Ventura, Pet Detective" - Now that's worth chewing up tons of bandwidth and waiting 9 hours for! WTF?!?!?!

Yes, I too am seeing 1080p movies in my Top Movies DVR list.

You're right, the Top Movies are starting to update to 1080p.

As of now I have these in 1080p available for purchase:

Twilight, Beverly Hills Chihuahua, Madagascar 2, Zack/Miri.

4 so far downloaded via satellite, good start.

There is a 1 minute 1080p intro video in the Top Movies as well (not actually in 1080p).

They're already using satellite bandwidth to download HD movies to the Movies Now folder in the middle of the night so what's the difference? IMHO if they want to make this more useful put those movies in 1080p and let the STB downconvert to 720p/1080i if the TV can't do 1080p/24.

So if your TV is only 1080i can you watch 1080p movies with it? Won't the TV downconvert it to 1080i but still be a better pic than an ordinary 1080iHD movie?
(does that make sense?)

So if your TV is only 1080i can you watch 1080p movies with it? Won't the TV downconvert it to 1080i but still be a better pic than an ordinary 1080iHD movie?
(does that make sense?)

Actually the box will do the downconvert to whatever output resolutions you have selected, if the handshake between the STB and the TV don't say it can do 1080p/24.

I've been able to view the 1080p/24 content on TV's that have a native 1080i and 720p resolution with no problems.

When I do a keyword search for 1080P, I get no results :( I've got an HR22 connected to a Samsung HL61A750 tv (1080P).

I know a little while ago, doing a 1080P search would show me VOD movie trailers in 1080P. Are the trailers still around? Any ideas as to why they're not showing up? If I go to Ch 1100, I can see the list of 1080P movies.

Actually the box will do the downconvert to whatever output resolutions you have selected, if the handshake between the STB and the TV don't say it can do 1080p/24.

I've been able to view the 1080p/24 content on TV's that have a native 1080i and 720p resolution with no problems.

So tell us about the quality of the picture. Is there a noticeable difference? Is it worthwhile for someone who doesn't have a 1080p tv to rent these movies?

Last edited:
So tell us about the quality of the picture. Is there a noticeable difference? Is it worthwhile for someone who doesn't have a 1080p tv to rent these movies?

I'd say if you wanted to watch the movie anyway go ahead, they look good, but for me I'll stick with my Blu-Ray player and Netflix, a lot more cost effective IMHO. The last time I watch an entire 1080p movie on DirecTV was when they had a couple available for CE testing via DoD and that looked very good on my 73" Mits 1080p DLP. You can always just start to watch on, you get about 5 minutes of a 'free' preview, and if you like it then purchase it.

How do I do this?

Just start to play it, there will be a pop up message in the bottom left corner, just don't do anything (don't select no or yes) and it will play for about 4 or 5 minutes before going black if you don't say yes you'll pay for it.

Just start to play it, there will be a pop up message in the bottom left corner, just don't do anything (don't select no or yes) and it will play for about 4 or 5 minutes before going black if you don't say yes you'll pay for it.

Hey thanks rad works just like you said.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)