Is the Protection Plan worth it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

esmeet

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I just got my Direc* system installed on Friday. I have 2 HD/DVRs and 1 standard DVR in my house along with a SWM Slimline dish and the SWM5 switch box outside.

The installation was free, and I guess everything is automatically covered for the first 30 days in case there are any problems with the equipment and/or the installation. After that, the protection plan kicks in at $5.99 per month.

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the protection plan and whether it's worth it. Assuming the installation was done properly and that it lasts up to the initial 30 days without any trouble, is it worth paying the $5.99 to protect everything?

I plan on having surge protectors on all of my receivers, and I live in Las Vegas where the only real weather threat to my dish is strong wind. My neighbor has his dish installed about 10 feet away from mine and has had no problems for 2+ years with his system. I'm wondering if I'd be better off keeping the $5.99 per month and paying for any help as needed if the probability of the protection plan being useful is relatively low.

Does anyone have feelings on this issue? Does anyone know what it would cost to have a Direc* technician come out to adjust the dish or perform any other maintenance? If a receiver goes haywire (without a power surge), do I pay the full cost to replace it? Would the protection plan protect my receivers for anything other than a power surge?

Sorry this is 20 questions, but I'm not sure if I want to pay the additional $5.99 per month if I'm never going to need/use the protection plan.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

I just got my Direc* system installed on Friday. I have 2 HD/DVRs and 1 standard DVR in my house along with a SWM Slimline dish and the SWM5 switch box outside.

The installation was free, and I guess everything is automatically covered for the first 30 days in case there are any problems with the equipment and/or the installation. After that, the protection plan kicks in at $5.99 per month.

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the protection plan and whether it's worth it. Assuming the installation was done properly and that it lasts up to the initial 30 days without any trouble, is it worth paying the $5.99 to protect everything?

I plan on having surge protectors on all of my receivers, and I live in Las Vegas where the only real weather threat to my dish is strong wind. My neighbor has his dish installed about 10 feet away from mine and has had no problems for 2+ years with his system. I'm wondering if I'd be better off keeping the $5.99 per month and paying for any help as needed if the probability of the protection plan being useful is relatively low.

Does anyone have feelings on this issue? Does anyone know what it would cost to have a Direc* technician come out to adjust the dish or perform any other maintenance? If a receiver goes haywire (without a power surge), do I pay the full cost to replace it? Would the protection plan protect my receivers for anything other than a power surge?

Sorry this is 20 questions, but I'm not sure if I want to pay the additional $5.99 per month if I'm never going to need/use the protection plan.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

DIRECTV - PROTECTION PLAN ;)

The receiver's are leased without the pp it's $20. S&H.

Although shipping is $20 most of time they give a free premium for 3 months to offset the shipping. I think in all the years I had DirecTV and got replacment receivers there was only once that they didnt.

Please use the search, there is a long thread about this from not to long ago.
Lots of good info ...

Happy reading :)

IF your dish needs re-aligning, with the PP it's free, without , it's a $79 fee, or something close to that.

My opinion, YES it's worth every penny, rec's are replaced free or S/H, otherwise there is a fee.

btw, I do all my own set up work, installing rec's and pointing the dishes.

If I have a HD DVR go bad, I know my only money out of my pocket is $ 20 at most.

Jimbo

I'm not familiar with your area's weather but here in SoCal we get heavy winds so I have it in case I need a re-alignment.

The service call has gone down to 49.95 but receiver replacements for hddvrs or about $200 if something were to happen.The protection plan is a good service to have even if you only call for trouble shooting. The protection plan reps go thru much more training than some one you would talk to if you did not have it. As a protection plan tech I can say that we know our stuff.

If I don't have the protection plan and a receiver that I am leasing quits working what is the charge or fee from Directv to replace the defective receiver?

Thanks.

Yes, even if it is a leased receiver if you do not have the prtection plan you will hve to pay for a new one and it will add a commitment to your account. If a reciever is replaced under the protectionplan it will not add any commitment

the cost depands on what receiver you have a standard one is $69 a dvr or hd $99 and an hddvr is $199 the commitment is any where between 12 and 18 mo. depending on type of receiver

Yes, even if it is a leased receiver if you do not have the prtection plan you will hve to pay for a new one and it will add a commitment to your account. If a reciever is replaced under the protectionplan it will not add any commitment
I'm not sure about the commitment continuation, however, "leased" equipment is covered if it breaks, whether you have the protection plan or not. The dish, wiring, and alignment issues would be covered with the plan though.

It doesn't make sense to me how having the protection plan negates a continuation of any commitment if one exists for replacing defective equipment. Is this in writing somewhere? How could they justify a commitment extension for a non-protection plan account, as opposed to someone with the plan? Taking into account the exchange of a defective receiver is not an upgrade.

As for the main topic, I feel the protection plan is a great thing to have. As a technician that has seen many different situations and problems (none that I will elaborate on) I overall feel it is beneficial. From the customer of 10 years to the new subscriber of 10 days I'd recommend it. Over the course of a year with the DPP, you're paying about what you would normally pay for one service call. The cost is bugeted into your monthly expenses, and it's not a suprise cost that pops up at an inconvienent time. In a sense, look at it like your car insurance. Would you rather pay a smaller amount monthly, or pay the whole lump sum for the insurance once you need it?

I'm not sure about the commitment continuation, however, "leased" equipment is covered if it breaks, whether you have the protection plan or not. The dish, wiring, and alignment issues would be covered with the plan though.

It doesn't make sense to me how having the protection plan negates a continuation of any commitment if one exists for replacing defective equipment. Is this in writing somewhere? How could they justify a commitment extension for a non-protection plan account, as opposed to someone with the plan? Taking into account the exchange of a defective receiver is not an upgrade.

As for the "leased" equipment being covered if it is faulty whether or not you have the DPP, I'm sure DirecTV has something in their contract agreement about it not being covered.

As far as not extending your contract for a DPP receiver swap, it's all business ethics. DirecTV is getting their money either way, just like any other provider out there. With the DPP, you are paying out an additional 5.99 monthly over a 2 year commitment, which is close to 150 after those two years. Without it (in an ideal situation where it is not considered a repeat call), they are hitting you for the $80 roll-out fee, cost of the receiver, and then the 2 year agreement all over again. Early cancellations they bill you for, but in the end, it's the business that's making the buck. Otherwise, it just wouldn't be a business, right?

And in a sense, exchanging a faulty receiver can be seen as getting an upgrade, despite it being a service issue. It will most likely be newer than the one that failed in the first place, and if you've been a customer for a while, chances are you will be getting a newer model.

It's like any insurance, you may not think it's worth when you pay the bill, but if you need to use it, suddenly you change your mind and are happy you had it.

I have never understood why they try to extend your contact if you have a defective rec and get it replaced .... you would think that the contract would stay the way it is when that happens, not be extended .... simply replace the defective rec.

Also, when you first get started with D* you are placed into a 2 year commitment (HD equipment) ... it would seem reasonable that you would no longer have a commitment after your 2 years are up , regardless of your equipment age.
You have shown your commited to them for 2 years, do they REALLY need to do another commitment just to get a newer box.

If you dont have the protection plan it will add a commitment to replace a reciever if it is defective.all equipment comes with a 90 warentee but past that if you reciever goes bad and you dont have the protection plan it is looked at as a addition reciever purchase so they add a commitment. Even if the reciever is proven defective it does not change this fact that is why it is a smart idea to get the protection plan

I don't understand WHY I should have to pay ANYTHING for something that I only lease? Someone earlier in this thread posted a price of $20. Is that for one unit for one 2 year commitment? I presently have 3 units. If one of them goes bad, I'll just cut my service back to 2 units. And if they try any of this non warranty crap on me, I'll just head over the hill to Dish as soon as my commitment is up.

I don't understand WHY I should have to pay ANYTHING for something that I only lease? Someone earlier in this thread posted a price of $20. Is that for one unit for one 2 year commitment? I presently have 3 units. If one of them goes bad, I'll just cut my service back to 2 units. And if they try any of this non warranty crap on me, I'll just head over the hill to Dish as soon as my commitment is up.

NO.
A HD DVR originally went for about $ 850.

Would you rather pay that and have it go bad OUTSIDE of the warranty ....
Then your stuck with a boat anchor.
This way if a rec. goes bad, it's on D* to replace it.

I use to buy all my rec's originally and it took me a long time to get use to leasing them, but now I am very happy with it...
It also make it much cheaper to keep up with the newer stuff.

Jimbo

the cost depands on what receiver you have a standard one is $69 a dvr or hd $99 and an hddvr is $199 the commitment is any where between 12 and 18 mo. depending on type of receiver

They will replace a leased receiver for a $20 shipping fee. It will restart your commitment unless you have the protection plan.

If you run into an issue can you have the protection plan added and then call back the next day and be covered?

No. There's a 30 day wait period before it activates. Basically, to prevent an addition a week prior to a reported service issue. Same would apply if you added it today, scheduled it tomorrow, but had it scheduled for more than a month out. You'd still get banged by the service charge.

good luck, every time I call in( ihave two r10's that need replaced) they tell me they need to schedule an appointment which I just dont have time for, I ask them to ship me a reciever and they wont they keep telling me they need a tech to come out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)