How do I get a 1000.4 upgrade to get all of my HD channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tomtodd

Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
So, I've known for a while (through this forum) that I'm not getting all of the HD channels I'm paying for. I have a 622 receiver, dishes pointed at 61.5 and 110/119, and AT200 with HD for Life and Platinum. According to the channel list on Dish's site, I should be getting AMD, BBCA, Hallmark, EPIX1 and others in HD. The channel chart on this site tells me the reason -- they are not on the satellites that I am pointed to.

I did not get the 1000.4 upgrade letter that others did last year, maybe because I still had an old 501 receiver on my account at that time. So, I tried to call/chat with Dish today to figure out what needs to be done for me to get my upgrade. I've now been through one customer support rep, two Tier 1 tech support reps, and two Tier 2 tech support reps. For the first support rep I did numerous checks of the guide, removed power from the receiver twice, ran check switch, and forced a reload of the guide. None of this fixed the issue, of course, since I already knew that my installation could not see the satellites that these channels were on. All of the other reps tried to get me to go through the same drill, even after I told them that I knew that my equipment was OK and I needed a different dish.

Can someone here please tell me what "magic incantation" I need to use with the Dish reps to get them to understand that my equipment is OK, and what I really need is the 1000.4 upgrade that was given to other subscribers?

Thanks.

The cheapest way is to call Dish. If you agree to the $6 service plan they will probably do everything for you for $15. Also which market are you in? This will help figuring out if you need an eastern arc dish (61.5/72.7/77) or western (110/119/129).

I'm in the Washington DC market (Northern Virginia).

I did call. I did tell them that I needed an upgraded dish. I even mentioned the number "1000. 4". Every rep insisted on trying to troubleshoot the problem, even the CS rep. Two them told me that there were satellite problems and just wait for a few days.

Very frustrating...

I just went through this but Dish called me and the rep said it was free. Hah, as they say nothing is free. The upgrades department @ 888-383-3727 said I could get an Eastern Arc migration but it would cost me $95. I knew from my reading here that they could put me on the service plan and after pushing it that's what they did which meant the cost would be $15 plus 5 months of the service plan so the total cost would be $45. However, since it was my first call they credited my account the $15, so now my total cost is $30 for the service plan & visitl. Since it was EA and they would need to send me a 211K to replace my 4900 which meant I'd need to sign a 2 year agreement -- this wouldn't have been needed if I could see the 129 slot since that can still serve MPEG2 equipment as well as MPEG4 and all they'd need to do is re-point my 61.5 dish. Instead I canceled the 4900 and my service call was done on 1/22 although not without some grumbling since the tech needed to install the EA dish in a different place so he had to run cable into my basement.

I got a card in the mail that said to call and make an appt. to upgrade my Dish 500. They advised it was free. I called and not only was it free but they came the same day I called. Unreal!! I now have a 1000.4. I also have about 3 times more HD channels than before.

I am in Atlanta.

wholo5:

What phone number was on the card that you received? Was it the 888-383-3727 number that Frank mentioned above? Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way, trying to call the general number instead of into a specific group at Dish.

Thanks.

Yes, that is the number that was on the card. There was also a reference code on the card of WA615. The card had "Urgent Action Required" in bold letters.

Switching over to the EA is an ongoing process it seems. When they lit up my locals in HD on 77, I had a choice to wait for them to get around to calling, most likely getting it for free that way, or calling to get it done when I wanted it, I chose to call. I have the service plan so it was only $15 and well worth it.

I got a 612 to replace the 625 that wouldn't work with EA for a 2 year committment. That worked out great as I had been wanting to upgrade that to HD already but wasn't in a dish'n it up window.

It seems that right now it is the same. If you wait for them to get to you to offer the switchover, it'll be free, otherwise there is a cost involved.

I agree... You should contact one of the reps on here! ;) I got your PM tomtodd and you can PM me a phone number so I can build a w/o. Also, if you could check and see what satellites you have installed I can make sure you get the best install solution for your area. Press Menu-6-1-3 and that will get you to System Info. Box G lists devices, Box H lists satellites installed. Providing me that information gives me a starting point, orbital tags on your account which I can then adjust and it should prompt an install. I can also go over the installation options as well as cost. Anyone else in a similar situation, feel free to PM any one of the reps here.

While I certainly think the reps on the phone can help you as well as I can, I understand that sometimes the way things are said can be frustrating on both sides of the phone. I get you though and I can help you.

Tony:

I've sent you the information by PM.

As I mentioned in my PM to you, the reps were courteous and professional and trying to help. They just didn't grasp what I was really asking for.

Thanks.

Well, Tony from the Internet Response Team took care of me. He arranged an installer to come out and replace my old setup with a 1000.4 EA rig. The installer was here today and took a little over an hour. When he was done, I had only one dish on the roof and all of the HD channels I was missing. Thanks, Tony!

Tom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)